Notary Rotary
Laptop
Notary Discussion History

Laptop
Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by Mike Goodey on 2/14/13 5:08pm
Msg #455886

Laptop

Anyone have any ideas about laptops? I'm in the market for a new one...have always had dells but am wondering about getting something different. The current one I have is an inspiron from dell about 5 years old, , one of the last windows XP Professional. It started giving me problems about a year ago...overheats and turns itself off...just like a wo...nevermind! It has 2.0 GB memory and 160GB hard drive. Just like to get some input from anyone. Thanks.
Don't want to have to take out a 2nd on my house though!!

Reply by Priscilla Witman on 2/14/13 5:18pm
Msg #455890

I have a 4 year old HP Pavilion that still works very well. My husband has a 1 year old Toshiba that is very slow and is constantly updating something or other. Of the two, I think the HP is probably better: It is fast, doesn't crash, doesn't overheat, no viruses I'm aware of. They both cost about $700-$800 new, not including extended warranty. The only problem is the battery life is very short, but besides that, it works very well.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/14/13 5:19pm
Msg #455891

Mike, mine used to do that too

I have a Dell Vostro - it was the fan all clogged up with <<cough>> the results of 4 cats & 2 dogs.. Smile

Got it a good solid cleaning and tunup ($100.00) and it's still running strong.

Just a thought

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/14/13 5:20pm
Msg #455892

err..Vostro 1500; and tuneup. :) n/m

Reply by MikeC/TX on 2/14/13 5:51pm
Msg #455894

As Linda mentioned, overheating is usually the result of a clogged or broken fan. It's relatively easy to fix. Here's a link that might help you:

http://tinyurl.com/b6a4s6q

Reply by Frank/NC on 2/14/13 6:31pm
Msg #455899

I've been researching a new laptop in that I have the Dell XPS now and it's quite heavy. The Acer Aspire S7 seems to be a real good laptop with either the Intel core i5 or i7 processor. It only has 4g of RAM but from what I read, that seems to be adequate. They come in either the 11.6" or 13.3" screen and have gotten real good reviews. The 13.3" weighs about 2.9 lbs and the 11.6" weighs 2.3 lbs. All this as opposed to my 7.5 lb. Dell which is a real PITA to travel with. Also, if you get it from Costco, they have a real liberal return policy as well as good warranty. The Acer is windows 8 with a touch screen. On the other side is cost that goes from $1200 to $1600. Costco has other laptops at reasonable prices also. I try to buy from them in that the return policy is great and prices are usually below most other retailers.

Reply by ToniK on 2/14/13 8:41pm
Msg #455922

I had HP laptops and desktops since 2004. Ive been through the HPDV4, HP DV6, Hp slimline and all of them have been a piece of S***, IMO. I switched to a Toshiba satellite last year and have loved it ever since. No issues. Its a i3 and I bought it for $500. Im eyeballing a i7 Toshiba

Reply by sueharke on 2/14/13 8:59pm
Msg #455923

What are you going to do with the laptop? Business? Personal? Game playing? My answer depends on your answer.

I also suggest people take a really qualified computer user who understands the current technology when buying a new computer. The store sales people are only there to sell, not provide what you need.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 2/14/13 10:50pm
Msg #455933

We have a laptop that is about 6 or 8 years old. My daughter uses it for school. It used to overhead and shut down. I followed the instructions on youtube to replace or clean the heatsync (i don't recall which) I posted the outcome here in Notrot somewhere.

The laptop is going strong and now running windows 7 and sporting a spiffy new (bigger) hard drive. Works like a champ!

Reply by Jessica Ward on 2/14/13 10:52pm
Msg #455934

correction--it used to "overheat"

I have monster typos every time I post at night--after I've taken my glasses off. Ugh. :-(

Reply by Shan/CA on 2/14/13 11:42pm
Msg #455940

One thing to think about is when you upgrade your computer, you will upgrade your operating system. I just got my kids a desktop and it comes with Windows 8, I hate it! It is not as "user friendly" (IMO) as I was told. I swear by my Toshiba Satellite i3. I want (not need) a new computer, but I don't want the headache of Windows 8. Good luck!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.