Notary Rotary
Municipal ID Debit Card
Notary Discussion History

Municipal ID Debit Card
Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by CH2inCA on 2/1/13 9:43am
Msg #453411

Municipal ID Debit Card

I can just imagine that people are going to think this is a valid form of ID for getting signatures notarized.

Time will tell. I apologize in advance, I don't know how to do the shorter link thing. :0)

http://www2.oaklandnet.com/oakca1/groups/ceda/documents/pressrelease/oak039541.pdf

Reply by rengel/CA on 2/1/13 11:10am
Msg #453427

Depending on the information on the card, it just might work. (and it stress, "Might".

from the 2013 CA notary Handbook, page 8
A. Paper Identification Documents – Identity of the signer can be established by the notary
public’s reasonable reliance on the presentation of any one of the following documents, if the
identification

(f) An employee identification card issued by an agency or office of the State of California,
or an agency or office of a city, county, or city and county in California.

My .02

Reply by CH2inCA on 2/1/13 11:41am
Msg #453432

Right except for..

That pesky little word 'employee'.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 2/1/13 1:00pm
Msg #453442

Re: Right except for..

Oakland is calling this card "Government ID." As long as it contains a serial number, photo, physical description and signature (all of which is highly unlikely), we may be good to go.

Yes, the "employee" part raises a question, but the SOS issued that part before all these innovative locval-government ID card ideas got started and are now on their way to being implemented.

I'm thinking the SOS will be responding to all this pretty soon since LA is going this route, too.

Reply by rengel/CA on 2/1/13 4:21pm
Msg #453482

mea culpa

That's what I get for not reading the entire doc. I "assumed" that it was for municiple employees.

Oops

My .02

Reply by BrendaTx on 2/1/13 12:42pm
Msg #453440

Shorter link thing...

You know, sometimes, I much prefer a long link so I can see where I am going or if I want to waste time looking it!!

You can tell immediately if the source is credible for the topic if the long link is included. There are some sites that are so out there that they deserve no notice. I always look at credible news sources and government websites for serious issues, but skip a lot of other ones.

For your edification on shorter links:

Here is one http://goo.gl

Another one is http://tinyurl.com - I like this one because you can make short URLs and customize them. For instance, "tinyurl.com/CH2blahCA"

Reply by CH2inCA on 2/1/13 2:33pm
Msg #453471

Re: Shorter link thing...

Thank you Brenda! Appreciate the help.

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 2/1/13 1:48pm
Msg #453456

It does not matter if the new card contains all the essential information that we typically understands needs to be there. Unless or until the CA SOS approves it as a valid ID, it cannot be used, period.

There are people with Permanent Resident Alien registration cards that have photo, signature, physical description, issue date and expiration date along and with DOB (mostly issued European nationals that can have dual citizenship), which all that is needed. In spite of all this being on the ID card, the CA SOS will not allow it to be used as a valid form of ID.

No, the Oakland card is not acceptable for an ID for notarizing in CA.

Reply by CH2inCA on 2/1/13 2:31pm
Msg #453470

RIGHT! We all know that

BUT...bet you dollars to donuts that the general, "I need it notraized," public doesn't.
I fear confusion.

Then again I have nothing to worry about (yet), I live in the central valley hasn't come this way yet.

Thing is this card is being issued by the municipality, but it's really a financial institution behind it. So, even though it's a 'government issued' ID, I wonder who their identities are established. Because as you can see it's targeted for those who do not have a state id.

hmmm...

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 2/1/13 6:26pm
Msg #453495

Re: RIGHT! We all know that

It seems to be that this is nothing more than a prepaid debit card, so that people can get their food stamp allotment in debit card, and or build up credit, when they have none.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.