Notary Rotary
National Notary Certificate
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by Suzibelle01 on 2/14/13 8:33am
Msg #455795

Have any of you been hounded by Notary Companies to provide the National Notary Signing Agent Certification? There is a company here in Michigan that states that TC's are now requiring this?

Reply by ToniK on 2/14/13 8:39am
Msg #455797

There is no such thing. Are the referring to a national organization certification?

I have never been asked this nor have seen ANY TC ask this. Most TCs I work with never heard of that particular organization in California. Its usually SS's that use that orgs directory that would ask that.

Reply by Suzibelle01 on 2/14/13 8:45am
Msg #455798

I am refering to the National Notary Association out of Washington, DC. They provide, among other services, an online notary training course. At the end of the course you take an online exam. When the exam is complete you have to have a background check through them before you receive your certificate. The cost is somewhere around $180.

I have been providing notary services for a few years now and this is the first company that has asked that we provide this for the TC he works for.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 2/14/13 8:52am
Msg #455799

It's not in DC.

It is in southern California.

Reply by Suzibelle01 on 2/14/13 8:58am
Msg #455801

Re: It's not in DC.

Yes, you are correct. It is out of California. Thank you for setting me straight.

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 2/14/13 9:10am
Msg #455802

I think the SS asking for that is making up that story and is overreaching with that demand.

Only once did an escrow officer ask us for a copy of a the commission for one of our NSAs.

We decline to provide it stating that we were the responsible party for the transaction and as such we would provide any of OUR documentation they might need.

The TC was satisfied with a copy of our company E&O and business liability policies.

Reply by CinOH on 2/14/13 9:36am
Msg #455805

There are a few signing companies who do require you to be certified via the NNA in order to work for them. I've personally never heard of this requirement from a title company.

As far as a certificate (per your subject line), the NNA used to allow you to print a certificate when you took and passed their certification exam. I'm not sure if they still do that or not.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 2/14/13 10:20am
Msg #455808

I use a Notarial Cert that fits with CA notary Law. Period. n/m

Reply by Jack/AL on 2/14/13 3:48pm
Msg #455876

Re: I use a Notarial Cert that fits with CA notary Law. Period.

Original post is about NNA's Certification Course for NSAs, not related to the Notarial Certificate to which you refer. After successful completion and passing of the exam, NNA awards their Certificate of completion to the Notary Public. Very few, if any, TCs of SSs really require it. I doubt if most even know or care about it.

Reply by MW/VA on 2/14/13 1:11pm
Msg #455833

Many of us are aware of their marketing agenda. When I was

starting out over 7 years ago I did that & thought I needed to. Then they came back to me a couple of years later, wanting more money to "renew" the cert/bgc. I've broken all ties with them & won't give them any more money. I've said it before--it's too bad they're successful in convincing these cos. that their training/cert. is superior to anything else. It definitely isn't. I didn't benefit much from the training at all, and thought I needed the cert. status for marketing. It hasn't hurt me not to have it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.