Notary Rotary
Pages
Notary Discussion History

Pages
Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by pat/WA on 2/7/13 3:53pm
Msg #454579

Pages

What do you do when you have agreed on a fee and the documents arrive and there are 200 pages?
Naturally mostly junk and duplicates

Reply by Linda Juenger on 2/7/13 4:17pm
Msg #454594

Re: Pages n/m

Reply by Linda Juenger on 2/7/13 4:20pm
Msg #454598

Sorry, If I get one that big, I always call for a fee

increase. If its a regular company, its never a problem. If its a company that I very rarely work for I pretty much tell them up the fee or I'm declining it. I understand that once a fee is set, they don't want to change it, but that's out of the norm and we should be compensated for the extra printing and time at the table.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 2/7/13 4:44pm
Msg #454603

And what do you charge for additional pages? n/m

Reply by Blueink_TN on 2/7/13 5:21pm
Msg #454606

Re: And what do you charge for additional pages?

Set your fee to cover a large package in the first place, and then if it's small - bonus!

Reply by Saul Leibowitz on 2/7/13 5:53pm
Msg #454612

Blueink is right; your fee is your fee and you should have that thought through in advance.
Obviously, less for a loan mod or an omitted Quitclaim Deed than for a standard package.

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 2/7/13 8:57pm
Msg #454673

I see the logic and understand it; however, I'd hate to be charged for something which was not within proper context. I go to a mechanic and expect an oil change to cost me 29.95 not 49.95 because I'm being charged for more oil than my vehicle will hold. On larger vehicles the charge is increased based upon the amount of fluid put into the vehicle.

I'm of the school of thought that yes, my fee is my fee; however, my fee is negotiable if the information which I was led to believe was inaccurate in the first place. At that point a "contract" would have been entered into under false pretenses.

Solve this all the way around? Ask how many pages are in the packet before accepting the job. They don't know cause they don't have it yet? Give your minimum standard rate and let them know that you may have to adjust it dependent upon what is required of you regarding a larger packet size. Now some will perhaps immediately think that if the packet size is less it necessarily follows that your fee should be decreased. Not so. That does not logically follow since you have already quoted a minimum fee. An increase based upon a larger doc stack is a necessary conclusion. A decrease is merely a sufficient one, but not necessary. Wink

Reply by Blueink_TN on 2/8/13 7:06pm
Msg #454880

Malbrough

In a logical world, you would be correct. However, this is the signing agent world and most of the hiring entities that call only want to know two things: Do you have availability and what is your fee. We figure averages, average package size, average distance, average time at the table. Sometimes it's a small pkg, one signer, and right around the corner; Other times it may be a huge pkg, two readers, and the bridge is out. Quote a solid fee up front and if they accept, go with it, as it all equals out. The only time I have called and requested an increased fee (and received it) is if the location was not as originally stated. At confirmation "Oh, no, not there...we will be at "two counties away"....
As far as pkg size goes, you need to figure your cost per print. Most printers offer a cost per print of .05 to .08. If your average package is 120 pages and you get one for 200 pages, is it really worth calling and increasing your fee, and being added to the PITA SA list for an added hard cost of $6.40?

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 2/8/13 7:32pm
Msg #454889

Re: Malbrough

No, no, I completely see your point. My issue is when I'm told the docs are about 100 pages and get an email with a stack of 300+. At this point, you've now chapped my behind and I consider it the principal of the thing rather than anything else. Will I ask for an increase? most likely. Will I note it as a company that predicated an offer under pretenses different than what actuality was? You bet. That will be noted in my private field of SC and they will be adjusted to my cell's caller ID accordingly.

As for the logical world, sadly we do not interact with many logical creatures in this field. Though it does not follow that just because some people in the field are illogical we should also be illogical. As for the "being added to the PITA SA list," I see no issue with it as I've already added them to the PITA SS or Title list Smile

Reply by Blueink_TN on 2/8/13 7:38pm
Msg #454892

Re: Malbrough

Smile Awesome post

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 2/8/13 7:41pm
Msg #454893

Oh, why thank you :)

Outside the fact that my son was speaking to me about a parent teacher conference and I spelled 'principle' as 'principal.' I face palmed, yes I did.

Reply by Blueink_TN on 2/8/13 7:48pm
Msg #454896

Re: Oh, why thank you :)

Ha - the rule! Your principal is your PAL Wink

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.