Notary Rotary
Record for me - 356 pages!! WoW!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by ValleyGrl/VA on 2/23/13 11:18am
Msg #457285

Package was emailed to me last night for a 7pm closing tonight. I had closings last night - didn't get home until late. I made sure I had the email and attachment when I got home.

Didn't really pay attention until this morning - opened file to print and saw 356 pages!! First thought was borrower copy included - nope! Immediately got on the phone - someone miraculously answered - I was worked up, thinking how dare they think I would just do this with additional fee or explanation. I started to say I wasn't interested in the closing due to volume of pages, time, etc. She said - I knew you would call (well duh!) Her first question was how much extra do you need? I named an amount I would charge in my dreams - she said done!

Okay - still didn't want to do it (lol!) Started printing only to find out the "package" was 140 pages - additional pages past that were tax returns!! 216 pages of tax returns! They were not originals - just what you would get if you printed your online submission (therefore no signatures). Called back to find out what exactly "to do" with the tax returns - was told to bundle each year together and have the borrower sign the cover "1040". I made sure to CYA with a confirmation email stating those directions!

11 years - this is a record!

Reply by Yoli/CA on 2/23/13 11:27am
Msg #457287

Wow! is right. I'm used to seeing the signature page for the tax returns. But, the entire package?!??!?!??!?!? With that many pages, probably includes worksheets ... what a waste ;(

Hope that fee was a REALLY good one for all that extra paper and toner - not to mention the wear and tear on your shoulders since you have to lug those packages around. Wink

Reply by Linda Juenger on 2/23/13 11:28am
Msg #457288

I would have printed the entire pkg to sign and send back. But, I would not have printed the 216 pages of tax returns for borrower. They already have this.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 2/23/13 11:34am
Msg #457291

Well, Linda, we don't know that the borrowers already have this. As they apparently file electronically, maybe they save everything on disc or to their computer and maybe that saved file was corrupt or somehow deleted. And, maybe that's why it's in this package. Lender requested from IRS and, upon request from borrowers, is supplying them their copies.

Maybe lender promised borrowers copy of all docs.

There's any number of scenarios. OP is being paid whatever fee she requested and should perform work she is being paid for.

Just my 2 cents.

Reply by DebraOro/CA on 2/23/13 11:30am
Msg #457289

lol, back to those old electronically filed tax returns ! Nasty little boogers. You are lucky they are letting you have only one signature on the front of each bundle. We get those all the time, and all Loan Docs I have had: Lender wants signatures on all signature lines.........Bleh.... I like to file my Taxes electronically too, but now I am dreading when I have to refinance my own home loan. LOL

Reply by ValleyGrl/VA on 2/23/13 11:41am
Msg #457293

I thought about not printing the borrower's copy of the tax returns - but figured I was being paid to do it so I did. I also thought that if title happened to be wrong about the signatures - the borrower would have their copy that could be signed and sent back if necessary. I hated using the paper and toner (what a waste is right!) but they met my fee.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 2/23/13 1:05pm
Msg #457297

IMO, it is NOT up to us to supply the borrower a copy of THEIR tax returns. If they file electronically themselves, the program gives them the option to print. If someone else prepared their return, it is up to THEM to supply a copy to them. How is this OUR responsibility? Chances are they already have it and don't want or need another 100+ pages to file somewhere.

Reply by ValleyGrl/VA on 2/23/13 2:22pm
Msg #457311

Linda - I understand your view, to me the tax returns were part of the loan package. I negotiated a fee to cover that additional printing. I don't think it's my job to determine what is important to print and what is not.

However, had title declined to pay extra for printing - I would have said I will do this closing for my regular fee, however, I will not be printing the tax returns (either to send back or borrower copy) and if you need to find someone else, be my guest.

I totally agree - it's not my job to provide the pages, but when the title company paid me to print the extra pages, it became my job.

Melissa

Reply by Linda Juenger on 2/23/13 3:14pm
Msg #457319

I understand ValleyGrl. Just boggles the mind n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 2/23/13 8:08pm
Msg #457370

Rational or not, 216 pgs. of tax returns to get signed

is beyond ridiculous. I hope you charged them a triple fee!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.