Notary Rotary
Skye Closing
Notary Discussion History

Skye Closing
Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by Barbara Martin on 2/23/13 9:54pm
Msg #457390

Skye Closing

I probably shouldn't enter a post right now because i'm so aggravated with Skye closing. They called me for a closing yesterday. I printed docs, confirmed with borrower, drove all the way to the appt and before going in called the borrower who said "we closed at lunch time today". I called Skye Closing and the only thing they said was "you get paid half the fee". Fool me once. Then, today (since it was already scheduled), i drove to an appt for Skye (after confirming yesterday, calling Skye to make sure this one wasn't double-booked, printing docs and driving to appt) and no borrower at home. Called the borrower, who said "oh, we rescheduled". Fool me twice. I won't do another closing for Skye. They are the most unprofessional signing company i've worked for.

Barbara

Reply by CarolF/NC on 2/23/13 10:09pm
Msg #457394

I feel your pain. We need to start demanding full fee

right after we stop those who are signing for less than $100 and printing large packages, traveling and faxing for no extra fee.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 2/23/13 10:17pm
Msg #457396

And I hope you add a bad review on SS. We need to be more

diligent about getting bad paying companies in there.

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 2/23/13 11:39pm
Msg #457403

I have been doing business with Skye Closing since they went

into business and never found they were anything but fair. As for the double booking, did you ever consider that the title company booked two signing services? It has been known to happen. Skye pays fairly for a signing service, AND they do pay and very quickly! That's got to be worth something I believe. Also most of the lenders and TC that hire them have relatively small packages (however everyone's packages are getting bigger all the time).

Reply by JanelWI on 2/24/13 8:50am
Msg #457422

Re: I have been doing business with Skye Closing since they went

Dorothy:

What is the signing company out in this situation other than their full cut if Barbara had actually done the job? So, they get something regardless.... What are we out? Let's see....time, materials, wear and tear on our vehicles...the cost of "actually" doing the job. Our risk is greater. To give the signing service a pass because title double books really highlights the question of whether we really need another layer between us and title. If as you say, this is a title issue....do we really need more hands in the pie? It certainly did not prevent this from happening. So what is the benefit?

Once we accept and commit to a closing we have an expectation of being able to perform the work. It is part of what is called the time value of money and it hurts the bottom line when a serious lack of communication like this happens. It is frustrating because once we book a closing, especially at this time of the month, we start turning down others. She could have lost an actual paying job.

The answer is better communication and information security protocols. If there is no consequence for this kind of oversight, it will just keep happening.

This is not about Skye, they could be the best signing service in the world and in part it is also not about Barbara anymore beyond what she should get for compensation for this mess. The glaringly frightening issue here is information security. How do we get all the way down to the signing appointment with two sets of docs floating around with two different signing agents having access to them? Wow, this is a big problem unless all the puffery over information security is just only there to provide a false sense of security.... and no one really takes it seriously.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 2/24/13 8:09am
Msg #457419

What is concerning to me is that several companies have a

bad habit of double booking or not informing the notary of changes and cancellations and if you just say, ok, I won't work for them any longer, then the next notary falls prey to their bad practices. I think these practices as least need to be noted in SC.

Reply by BossLadyMD on 2/24/13 10:40am
Msg #457439

That is very true Carol, happens all the time, unfortunately n/m

Reply by Art_PA on 2/24/13 6:58am
Msg #457415

Have you thought about calling the borrower to confirm the time & place before printing?

Reply by Laurie N. Douglas on 2/24/13 12:59pm
Msg #457468

I've worked with them a couple times and have not had any issues.

Reply by BossLadyMD on 2/24/13 10:39am
Msg #457438

I've never has any problems with Skye Closings.

They pay me a fair fee of over $100 and they pay within 30 days. This is not a norm for them. Been working with them for years.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/24/13 11:43am
Msg #457457

Me either..I like working for them

Only one time they only offered me $95 and wouldn't budge...so I just declined.

I still like it when they call.

Reply by JanelWI on 2/24/13 1:05pm
Msg #457470

Who cares about Skye Closings

half the time the borrowers don't even know a signing service is part of the "layers"...they would however find it a bit disconcerting to know that their loan package went to two different people, one of which did not have to show up, but she did because Barbara thought she had the closing also. The borrower never questioned why two people called to confirm? This is gross negligence and if I was the borrower I would be beyond pissed to know that my non-public information was in the hand of someone that should not have gotten it in the first place.

So, let me see, somebody double books, title sends two different signing services the same loan package and does not know it, The borrowers have two different people call to confirm that they are coming to the closing, no one realizes it until Barbara makes a fuss about it wasted time and and money. This shows how clueless borrowers really are to this process......Hmmm....seems to me the signing service is the least of the problems here compared to the lack of information security protocols and communication.

Reply by BossLadyMD on 2/24/13 1:27pm
Msg #457475

I agree & unfortunately, that's the nature of this business

So you either make the best of it and dance at the prom or go home. I have gotten calls for a signing in Anywhere, MD @ 5pm for $95 and I decline. Then 10 minutes later, I get a call from another SS for a signing in Anywhere, MD @ 5pm for $115 for the same date! Coincidence?? I dont think so.

They are desparately trying to find someone to cover a loan that must sign that day.

Reply by Laurie/TN on 2/24/13 1:51pm
Msg #457481

Re: I agree & unfortunately, that's the nature of this business

I had a call for a closing within the hour for $150. I accepted and then called the borrower to confirm. They denied the closing because they wanted it done by 7PM because they had dinner plans. I hadn't even received the docs yet. I was bummed but now I know they can pay a little more, especially same day!

Reply by BossLadyMD on 2/24/13 3:28pm
Msg #457491

Exactly, they're in a pinch & call several signing services

I was paid $175 once to drive 20 miles RT within 1 hr (docs were ready) because the borrowers had to catch a flight. The SS was very honest and said that they were willing to pay prime and skip the $90 notary because they didnt want to risk mistakes. Plus it was 10pm on a Sunday night.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.