Notary Rotary
So many renewing notaries in my CA notary classes
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by Joan Bergstrom on 2/10/13 10:47pm
Msg #455107

will have a 2 month or more period without a CA notary commission.

The commission time has gone to approximately 3 1/2 months from test day.

Many renewing notaries think it will be in the 4-6 week period, which it was for a few years, but not now.

The processing date on the CA Sec of State website is Nov 1, 2012 and that means the student who took the test on Nov 1, 2012 can expect his/her commission in the mail around 4-6 days after this processing date.

We are still seeing a decline in notaries and are now down to 155, -156,000 notaries in CA and there doesn't seem to be and end to it.
It looks like we'll lose another 7,000 to 8,000 notaries from March 2012 to March 2013.

Reply by KODI/CA on 2/10/13 11:08pm
Msg #455108

The more we loose (low ballers) the better it is for the professional. Hope it continues. JMHO

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/10/13 11:26pm
Msg #455110

There's really no excuse for a lapse in commission.... the law gives us the ability to take the course and exam up to a full year ahead of time in order to have everything in place. When that 30 day mark hits (30 days before your commission expires) you want everything done and collecting dust in a file in their office ready for them to pull and just issue.

I really don't know why so many notaries wait until 3-4 months before they start getting their act together to start the process. Honestly, they deserve what they have coming to them. The Notary Division's office doesn't have the staffing, even with the lower number of actual commissioned notaries. You have to start 5-6 months ahead at the very least these days, 9-12 is better...especially if you have a common name that might cause a delay in the background check process.

I've always wondered what the ratio of applicants to issued commissions issued is --- I'm sure that weeding out out non-commissionable is probably what takes up most of their time anyway.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/10/13 11:32pm
Msg #455111

BTW... the 3-hour renewal CLASS is good for two years before your expiration (Provided you apply for renewal before you expire).

Your fingerprints and background checks must be done within a year of the date you take the exam.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify that... it basically still means there's NO excuse for lapsing or waiting so long, when they give you so much time.

Reply by sueharke on 2/11/13 12:04am
Msg #455113

I'll look into renewing my commission after tax season and renewing my passport. My commission does not expire until 06/14/2014. I think I can get it done by Jan 2014 Smile Thanks to everyone who posted and reminded me of the process and timing.

Reply by CJ on 2/11/13 1:01am
Msg #455115

The first time I renewed, I tried to start "early", 6 months ahead of time. They told me it was illegal (or something and I had to wait until 3 months before. The next time I renewed, I started at 3 months, and they said, "Everything has changed, you must start 6 months before". I lucked out and my stamp arrived in the mail the DAY BEFORE I expired. Now I am getting trying to get it done 6 months ahead, and maybe that won't even be enough. Very scary.

Reply by 101livescan on 2/11/13 8:37am
Msg #455122

Taking mine this week, cutting it close it seems.

Reply by CJ on 2/11/13 9:40am
Msg #455125

I'm taking mine this week too.

Hi Livescan101. I'm taking mine on Thursday at the Resident Inn, in Oxnard. I am doing my best to memorize the handbook before I even get to the class, especially the obscure stuff. One time I was talking with a notary about what was on our tests (we did not test at the same time), and the tests were very different. I had a lot of questions about penalties on my test, and she didn't. I called the Secretary of State office and asked about the test, and they said it is changed every month.

I don't appreciate that the Secretary of State requires notification of address changes withing 30 days by registered mail, or we could be fined $500, but they can't be bothered to get our test results back to us in a timely manner, and it could affect our jobs.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/11/13 10:34am
Msg #455138

Re: I'm taking mine this week too.

"I don't appreciate that the Secretary of State requires notification of address changes withing 30 days by registered mail, or we could be fined $500, but they can't be bothered to get our test results back to us in a timely manner, and it could affect our jobs."

Test results always get back to you within 15 business days, especially if you give them your email address when you take the exam. But it's not the Sec of State that sends you you the test results, or even handles the exam, that's CPS. CPS forwards the exams results with your application to the Sec of State's office and keeps them on file until you've submitted everything else they need (fingerprints, anything supplemental they ask for, etc.).

The way it works is that they process commission applications based on the days exams were taken.... think first-come first serve. The reason they do that is because that's also the day (more or less) you officially submit your application for your commission. When your "day" pops up for review... you want your file to be complete. You want your fingerprints done, background check submitted...everything. If you forgot something as simple as your passport photo on your application the day you took your exam (....and true me, apparently a LOT of people do!), then you want to get that sent to them right away. Like I said.... basically... you want your file collecting dust in their office.

If you're renewing, on the day your date pops up for review and everything looks good, they will set it aside for issuing a new commission package on a date no sooner than 30 days prior to the expiration of our current one. That's state law. Frankly, 30 days is plenty of time to get every thing done once you get the package... can it be annoying? Sure, but it can be done... and it's not like you shouldn't be aware of the what you need to get or when it needs to happen.

It's all about planning ahead.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 2/11/13 10:55am
Msg #455149

CJ - I've always started the process 6 months in advance... n/m

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 2/11/13 12:13pm
Msg #455161

My commission expires July, 31, 2013.

I took the course & exam and had the livescan done all on November 10th, 2012.

I knew it had to be done even though I rarely do signings myself these days. I know the test & livescan are good for 1 year (the same as it was 4 years ago). I aced the test and now I just have to wait for July for a seamless transition to the new commission.

WHY WAIT? It serves no useful purpose in waiting. We have enough to worry about without adding additional (and unnecessary) stresses to our lives.

I took a class that was given at a time that was very convenient for me rather than rolling the dice with waiting until it might be too late. That is just poor business practices for an essential requirement for doing your work.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 2/11/13 1:32pm
Msg #455193

One other thing that I haven't seen mentioned... If you decide to do an online class (like the excellent one here on notary rotary) or take a class that doesn't have the exam right after, you then need to sign up directly with CPS for a proctored exam. There may be only one a month (or less) in an area within reasonably close commuting distance, so your options are limited. This could be the most significant factor to consider.

Reply by Leona Greenlow-Turner on 2/16/13 12:22pm
Msg #456167

When I renewed 4 years ago, the SOS said they were back logged and under staffed. It was crazy because I was expired for a few days while waiting on my commission and new stamp by my deadline. Very frustrating.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.