Notary Rotary
Thinking of dropping PayPal as a payment option
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by ME/NJ on 2/1/13 9:13am
Msg #453408

If I need to invoice via PayPal I always add $5.00 to cover the fee. A payment came in yesterday and now there is another fee for the payment, on $250.00 it cost me a total of $8.00 in fees for PayPal service.

May as well get a my own Visa account and now I can pass of those fee's to clients.

Reply by A S Johnson on 2/1/13 9:26am
Msg #453410

As much as some of you want to think, PayPal is NOT your friend.
Some of you think you are sooooo smart useing this as a way to get paid by slow/no pay services, thus keeping them in business and hurting your fellow Notaries.
And PayPal will charge you back if who is paying you decides to dispute the paynemt at any time in the future.
And if you really think of it, who is really making Millions $$$ off you.

Reply by BossLadyMD on 2/1/13 10:25am
Msg #453416

I was just thinking the same thing, but what are our options

Is there another reliable online payment company??

Reply by ToniK on 2/1/13 10:53am
Msg #453421

Dont accept signings from these type of companies

But then again its your business model.

Reply by jba/fl on 2/2/13 12:19pm
Msg #453631

Re: I was just thinking the same thing, but what are our options

http://sixrevisions.com/tools/online-payment-systems/

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 2/1/13 11:02am
Msg #453424

PAW accepted Paypal for the apostille work and the magnetic signs he sold. When he passed away I contacted Paypal to find out what his wife needed to do to get the funds. She then sent them everything they needed, including a copy of his death certificate. To this day she has not received the funds, her lawyer has contacted them several times and still no results. Now she is suing Paypal.

Reply by sueharke on 2/1/13 1:21pm
Msg #453448

I frequently hear unhappiness in using PayPal. Personal, I leave only a small amount in PayPal to use their shipping service at a discount rate from the post office or UPS. I hear high praise about "Google checkout." Maybe that is a solution to consider.

Also, Square CC reader that attaches to a smart phone. There is still a cc fee, but it is useful anywhere you have a signal.

I have access to all three. If the person wants to pay by PayPal, I say fine, here is my email address. Get CC information and use Square. Finally let the client know that Google checkout is an option too.

I believe in giving people choices and let him or her choose the best one.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 2/1/13 1:24pm
Msg #453450

I use Squareup instead.

There's still fees, but there's no pending times, your funds don't linger, etc. They go in your account the same day. Since I do a low volume of credit card transactions (under $200 a month), I prefer it to having a merchant account, which has some hefty costs associated with it.

I use this only for GNW. Not for signing companies. I don't work for anyone who's showing any inkling of not being able to pay their bills.

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 2/1/13 10:14pm
Msg #453550

I second Square. I use it for GNW and LOVE it!

Even if you have higher than $200/mth credit transactions, it works out nicely!

Reply by MikeC/TX on 2/1/13 6:46pm
Msg #453500

Are you aware that Paypal gives the sender the option of identifying the payment as a gift - in which case there's no cost to the recipient?

If I were to accept Paypal as an OCCASIONAL payment option from deadbeats, I would insist they send it as a "gift". You probably can't do that as a regular thing because Paypal would figure it out fairly quickly, but for the one-off payment from a deadbeat who REALLY wants you to do the job, it may be an option.

Reply by Christine Moran on 3/14/13 3:31pm
Msg #461205

If I haven't worked for a company before and they have a less than stellar rating on here I tell them I will only accept partial paypal payment before printing the docs. I have had so many places burn me and I never have problems closing.

I only accept paypal now. if they want it closed and they beg yell and scream then find someone else. Sorry. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

I use my paypal to buy stuff on ebay and print all of my shipping labels. I have been burned so many times. If they dispute it you have the proof.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.