Notary Rotary
Too many trailing documents!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by Valerie Watts on 2/11/13 4:13pm
Msg #455275

Lately I've noticed some closings are accompanied by over 30 pages of "trailing documents," which often are dated back when the borrower first applied for the loan and then there are some from changes that happened during the course of getting the loan. I'm finding these are getting really annoying. I'm going to start asking a surcharge for document sets over 125 pages. This is an abuse of the poor signing agent! It takes more of my toner and paper and more of my time with the poor signer who is usually overwhelmed by the volume of documents they have to sign just in the loan packet and escrow paperwork. Any thoughts?

Reply by SanDiegoCA on 2/11/13 4:31pm
Msg #455287

>> I'm going to start asking a surcharge for document sets over 125 pages.

Perhaps it might be better to ask the sending title company what the need IS for those pages, before you inadvertently offend them.

They might be following something that the Government has now mandated to be included in the package.

Reply by Valerie Watts on 2/11/13 6:11pm
Msg #455309

Yes, I'm sure these are government mandated, but they obviously are documents that should have been given to the borrower all along the process. Since they are not in every document set, I really think this must be the lender's way of sliding by the mandates to provide these along the way. C'mon, they are dated by someone other than the borrower for a date that is long past. At any rate, don't you think it is something that needs to be recognized and remunerated? Or is this another way the Government is getting deeper into our pockets?

Reply by Jessica/FL on 2/11/13 6:14pm
Msg #455311

I do not like the trailing documents and have asked about them. Many times the borrower has never met with anyone before I come to the table. I was told that these disclosures would normally be signed along with process, but since these deals were done online they have to be signed. I don't really find it that big of a deal. I print the additonal pages and have them sign them. The amount of work that I get from my companies is not worth complaining about a few pages. I get paid, and I get paid well.

Reply by Valerie Watts on 2/11/13 6:30pm
Msg #455313

I guess I am realizing that I am not asking enough from some companies. Some I have worked for for quite some time and have never asked for more because they often send me quick seller packets and such. But when the packets get to be close to 200 pages it really seems a bit much. And yes, many times I am the only human face they see in the transaction and sometimes they expect me to know all their history with the loan company! Seems like we've lost something somewhere in all this convenience. Unlike some notaries, I really like it when the loan officer is present to explain things to the borrower along the way.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/11/13 6:32pm
Msg #455314

Thumbs up Jessica!! n/m

Reply by pat/WA on 2/11/13 6:41pm
Msg #455317

no signature docs

Most of these documents do not require the borrower's signature. But, they do take alot of toner and paper. Especially when you print them twice.

Reply by Valerie Watts on 2/11/13 8:17pm
Msg #455333

Re: no signature docs

I have an example here of 56 pages of trailing docs. 32 need signatures. One is a patriot act form which needs to be completed, as well as the one in the loan docs, according to the escrow officer. Just sayin'.

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 2/11/13 9:05pm
Msg #455349

Food for thought.

Some of these docs were probably completed online? TC wants them wet inked instead of just digitally "signed." Now do I agree that it's your responsibility as a SA or Notary to perform this task? No, no it is not. Why is the LO making a commission again?...

Reply by Valerie Watts on 2/11/13 9:20pm
Msg #455357

Re: Food for thought.

My point exactly!

Reply by DebraOro/CA on 2/11/13 9:31pm
Msg #455362

These numerous page documents are the norm around here, I rarely see
any that don't have the "trailing documents". Several lenders have explained
to me that through the life of the borrower: applying for the loan, sending in
disclosures, via fax, email, or even in person, the final package needs to be
all wet signatures. Nice and tidy package for the Lender, in the end, to
be disbursed throughout all of the departments at the lenders office.
All the more reason to be charging at least $XXX fees to cover the set to sign, and the
copy for signer to keep.
Imagine the look of dismay on the signers face when they see the size of the package
to sign! I always start by explaining to them that they will be signing many pages that
they have already signed from the beginning per their Lenders request for live signatures.
Once I tell them that none of the pages before or after the Note and Deed of Trust can change
the terms of the Note and Deed of Trust, they seem to relax some and get to signing.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.