Notary Rotary
Typical Day
Notary Discussion History

Typical Day
Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 2/7/13 12:47am
Msg #454461

Typical Day

I have five signings, one cancelled as the borrower came down with Influenza A and asked that we delay his signing. Thank you, what a good man!

All were great gigs with two being inhouse title, four were edocs, very decent paying companies.

But then, I turned away a total of 8 signings for lowballers...getting to be more and more of these around. It's like an epidemic, suddenly this surge of $90 fee, like someone is idriving it...

Whadaya make of it? I've pm'd some of you, let me know your thoughts.

Reply by Bear900/CA on 2/7/13 1:33am
Msg #454471

I seem to be getting equal amounts of lowballers verses those who know me and pay my standard rates.

They are definetly testing the waters. This is sad because times won't always be this busy for a lot here and they will not be able to negotiate up with these SA's when they will really need the extra income.

Also, some of you think about this: the SA's are making more money then ever right now. They are doing one of two things, or both:

1) they are lowballing their TC's to get themselves in place when times are lean, and then counting on signers they have fleeced along the way, and/or

2) they are skimming the profits normally directed to you and keeping for themselves.

You see it in print here all the time: read the HUD-1 notary fees. See if you are getting your fair share.

I am a LO and I usually decide what notary fee to put into the HUD-1. I never lowball the notary! Why do you insist on lowballing yourselves?

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 2/7/13 10:31am
Msg #454507

My highest earnings came in 2002/2003... n/m

Reply by CopperheadVA on 2/7/13 6:05am
Msg #454482

Yesterday, I had a signing service desperately trying to contact me to schedule a closing same day. I sent the first call to VM. Then they emailed me (and sent me the docs!!!). Then they called again. That time I asnwered and told them I was not available (I WAS available, but just didn't wish to work with them). Then they asked can you do the closing tomrrrow??? (again, desperation in their voice). Then I told them no, the truth is that I don't want to work with you. Last time you took way too long to pay and I don't need those hassles. They were also the SS on a deal a couple of years ago where the TC insisted that we print at the Realtor's office on a purchase and it was disaster. Sorry SS, what goes around comes around.

Reply by ToniK on 2/7/13 9:13am
Msg #454495

I had a call at 745pm last night from a SS that pays $90 and was begging me to drop everything and do a signing right now. They had docs and were ready to send over immediately. I turned down cuz I would need $150 but really turned down cuz I was about to workout.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 2/7/13 10:38am
Msg #454511

I don't accept last minute drop everything orders any more, for any fee. Discovered that they always end up being a TOTAL PITA. Of course for my regular, established, trusted clients I would do that but they tend to not have emergencies.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 2/7/13 10:57am
Msg #454520

<<I don't accept last minute drop everything orders any more, for any fee. Discovered that they always end up being a TOTAL PITA>>

Exactly! Now that I'm learning my way around the "landscape," I realize that had I "confirmed my acceptance" of a closing a week earlier via SC hotline AND with borrowers, I would have been "the no-show notary" for their last minute mess-ups.

But I'm Smarter than that; and if I don't have the materials to do the job, there is NADA to confirm. Sure, I will be "on-call" - just not at the same fee. You guys/gals have taught me well Smile

Reply by ToniK on 2/7/13 11:23am
Msg #454527

I dont accept drop everything last minute signings if Im busy but I had no signings yesterday. lol Just didnt feel like doing one. My workout was a bit more important at that time. Im shedding these winter pounds. lol

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 2/7/13 10:46am
Msg #454515

Re: Typical Day . . . 7:45pm

Toni, wonder if this was the one &&&Closings reassigned (from me). It was crazy. Last Thurs. I accepted 2 signing appts from SC (in 2 different counties). By Tues of this week, still no docs (both Chase). I emailed SC of my 2.5 hour window policy about e-docs and spoke to them by phone, as well. We had a difference of opinion about me confirming appointment with Borrowers at ACCEPTANCE of the signing (SC said "that is what client wants").

Turns out, "client" was TS and what they really ask is that notary confirm they've accepted the assignment - not that borrowers be contacted at acceptance.

I knew docs would be late (were also faxbacks) and it would take me longer to travel from one county to next at that hour. So SC told me they'd "reassign" both closings to someone else.
(No problem. The aggravation wasn't worth $100.00 and $90.00 fees, respectively.

It gets better: TS somehow calls me last night just before 5pm ("We show you are the notary for 730 for our Herndon closing. Docs not ready. Would you still be available at 830?")

Uh, I was "fired" from that job; but I can do it if the SC stills wants me to go. "Who's the SC?"

"%%%Closings," I said (not really knowing the protocol for something like this). Never heard back from anyone, so I'm like, What happened? How did TS get my name? Did someone at SC forget that they reassigned?

Bottom line: That low of a fee won't do it for me - especially with these kind of hassles

Reply by ToniK on 2/7/13 11:19am
Msg #454525

Re: Typical Day . . . 7:45pm

lol nope this was for Broadlands. Dont know if it was for TS or Chase. I never got that far since I said no from the first "can you help us" lol then he said "Please, please we really need someone" lol Nope Im not dressed for any signings tonight. Hung up and completed my workout with my 5 yr old mimicking me. lol

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.