Notary Rotary
Warning: Shipping zero-weight labels
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by Ernest__CT on 2/15/13 2:19pm
Msg #456035

Some companies have been putting 0.0 for the weight when creating UPS or FedEx labels for us to return docs. The shipping companies have started charging the DROP-OFF LOCATIONS the extra fees (shipping fee plus additional wrong-weight fee). The companies figure that billing one place (the store front) instead of several (the title companies) is easier and cheaper for the shipping companies.

Be aware that some drop-off locations will REFUSE to accept zero-weight labels on packages. When you get a 0.0 pounds label, or one that says 1.0 pounds when it is obviously much more, inform your client that the label cannot be used as printed. Do not get caught in the middle!

Don't even think about dropping docs in a box on the corner! You will not get a receipt, and you will not be able to prove that you actually shipped the docs! Newbies are eecially encouraged to be careful.

Reply by Jack/AL on 2/15/13 3:45pm
Msg #456066

I wonder how low the weight can go, and still print. I did one today for 0.5 pound. It contained 13 pages of letter-sized docs.

Reply by BrotherOwner on 2/15/13 4:22pm
Msg #456078

Fedx minimum O/Night rate is indeed 0.5 lb. 1 page would ship @min 0.5 lb.rate.

Reply by walthtz on 2/15/13 4:27pm
Msg #456079

One way not to get caught in the middle is NEVER put your name / address as the return.
Always use the Signing / Title company

Reply by desktopfull on 2/15/13 8:25pm
Msg #456112

Or supplies ordered using your account. n/m

Reply by SharonMN on 2/15/13 5:22pm
Msg #456092

>> Don't even think about dropping docs in a box on the corner! You will not get a receipt, and you will not be able to prove that you actually shipped the docs! Newbies are eecially encouraged to be careful.

Classic example of notary thinking they need to cover everyone else's butt. If the title company/SS tells me to use UPS or FedEx, I drop it at any authorized location including drop boxes. There is no need to invent your own special process to make sure UPS/FedEx does their job.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 2/15/13 5:32pm
Msg #456095

Can I get an amen for Sharon?

Well said.
I think the others in this process want to make us responsible for everything after we receive docs, and some things are just out of our control.
Amen, Sharon!

Reply by Lee/AR on 2/15/13 9:22pm
Msg #456119

Yep...Amen for Sharon! n/m

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 2/15/13 7:17pm
Msg #456107

The process to correct mis-weighted labels

Agree with Sharon. This has been discussed before, or at least there has been a discussion on local shipping locations refusing to accept packages due to mis-labeled weights. But it's not our job to make sure the label shows the correct weight.

FedX has--and I'm thinking so does UPS--a process in place that they are supposed to use if and when the weight doesn't match what is on the pre-printed label. Takes all of 10 second, 20 seconds for an experienced person, to correct.

So don't let a counter person who is too lazy or doesn't want to do their job tell you they can't accept a package simply because the pre-printed label has the wrong weight. Tell them you know they can re-weigh and print out new correctly weighted labels. That is if they want the business. And if they still say no, be sure to get their name, employee number, badge number or whatever ID they have so when you call FedX or UPS corporate offices you can correctly identify the person who screwed things up and lost revenue for the local and corporate. And let them know that FedX/UPS as well as the client originating the delivery will hear about their lack of customer service.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 2/15/13 10:48pm
Msg #456126

I agree with Sharon.

Whenever I can, I drop it at a staffed location. However, many packages need to drop the same day, and I'm not going to route around between closings based on a staffed location, especially if it's in any danger of me being late to my next appointment. If a drop box has the most advantageous time, it's going in that #)* box.

I am VERY careful about the boxes I'll use though--high traffic-high-visibility boxes only for me. My favorite is right outside the police station. Across the street is a coffee/pastry shop frequented by law enforcement and there's always a cop in the crosswalk. Right next to said crosswalk are side-by-side UPS and Fedex boxes.

I never leave a package in a dropbox if it's going to sit there overnight or over a weekend. I'll just hold it and get it to a staffed location the next day. I have a regularly-planned stop at UPS and FEDEX staffed locations every morning and every afternoon. They're both within walking/biking distance of my house, and in the summertime, on weekends I'll bike my packages in to the shops for exercise (about 6 miles round trip, followed by a stop-off at the farmer's market).

I ask the title company to trust me to do my job, and I will extend the same courtesy to UPS and Fedex, however, just for security's sake, I don't let docs linger overnight in a box.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 2/15/13 8:12pm
Msg #456111

I worry about being overcharged when I

ship my personal stuff and both fed ex and ups have told me they weigh every package for correct weight and only charge thr proper amount. So is this not true?

Reply by CarolF/NC on 2/15/13 8:42pm
Msg #456113

Just checked a ton of labels all with 0.0 weight...

I thought they always reweigh before they ship and bill the shipper???? So what if you use a drop box, are you saying they won't ship them. And how could they bill the store with a pre-printed label? Am I too tired now to understand this?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.