Notary Rotary
Austin is becoming quite cosmopolitan; makes signings fun
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 1/26/13 12:29pm
Msg #452372

I can remember, here in Texas, when plantains were considered exotic food. Hell, I'm old enough to remember when <pizza> was considered exotic. It was "pizza pie" back then, not just "pizza," and I was 18 before I knew it wasn't a desert. Was a freshman in college when I ate my first one.

Anyway, down the street from me we have an Asian restaurant that has a sign posted at the entryway: "If you want chicken with head on, please tell waiter." That same restaurant has a huge saltwater tank with all kinds of mysterious sea creatures, far beyond just lobsters; presumably, you can have dinner from any one of the Seven Seas. Off in one corner is a counter. Hanging from the top, and looking down at the countertop, are skinned duck and chicken carcasses. Looking up at the birds are pigs heads.

Durian fruit is now commonplace in season. For lunch, you can get all the carbs you need with fried yucca root at several places around town.

But yesterday, I did a signing in an ethnic market. A hand-lettered sign informed customers: "Yes, we have iguana."

I'm not sure which I find most unpalatable: My grilled chicken breast with the head still attached, or a lizard burger.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/26/13 12:33pm
Msg #452373

Asian store other end of town from me has live snakes so you can pick your own. I couldn't go in there - I have nightmares that one would be loose in the store which of course would find me to slither......ugh

Reply by Yoli/CA on 1/26/13 12:49pm
Msg #452379

Not familiar with Durian fruit, so, looked it up:

From the 'net: << Durian Fruit can best be described as having a succulent, creamy filling but smelling like stinky socks - don't let that dissuade you from trying it.>>

Hugh: Thought you had gone vegetarian??!!?? Are you cheating with an iguaburger?

Reply by MikeC/TX on 1/26/13 2:09pm
Msg #452404

Durian is actually quite good, but you really do have to get past the smell. First time someone opened one in my presence, I thought the sewers backed up... it's one of those foods that make you wonder about the first guy who thought it might be good to eat.

Reply by bagger on 1/26/13 1:34pm
Msg #452401

Oboy, I really don't know how to say this, but

Somebody has sure led a sheltered life.
My home town in Illinois had about 1500 people in it.
Pizza and Plantains were not exotic!
Hugh, you need to get out more!

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 1/26/13 4:11pm
Msg #452423

Give Hugh a break, Bagger ....

he's talking about Texas, not a real-live part of the United States.

BTW: Haven't you guys seceded yet?

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/26/13 4:13pm
Msg #452424

Bagger - Chinese and pizza didn't come to small town

Texas until the 70's. We had Mexican, hamburgers, and steam table cafeterias to choose from.

My step mom was from up north. We had to drive to Houston so that she could have pizza at Shakey's Pizza Parlor. Daddy wouldn't eat Chinese, period. Old folks here in Texas still think that Chinese food has birds' nests in it.

Reply by MikeIL on 1/27/13 12:35pm
Msg #452492

Re: Bagger - Chinese and pizza didn't come to small town

I remember being stationed in the Texas panhandle for a while in 1967. Being from Chicago, probably the home of a gazzillion ethnic restaurants I could not believe that Pizza Hut was the best Italian restaurant in town. Now I will admit the barbeque and texmex were great.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.