Notary Rotary
Background Check -
Notary Discussion History

Background Check -
Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by Yoli/CA on 1/2/13 11:39am
Msg #448476

Background Check -

Even though I am a California notary and as such was bgc'd by FBI and DOJ as a condition of being commissioned, I did get a BGC from Notary Rotary.

Well, 12/31/12 I received emails from both ServiceLink and LSI notifying me that my BGC was about to expire. Sure enough, it expires 3/2/13 and I will renew when that time draws closer.

Both those companies have requested I forward them my new BGC, which I will. However, the interesting part to me is that they actually keep tabs on this. ServiceLink I work with often. LSI, I haven't heard from them since moving to the Sacramento area June 2011 (guess they can't accommodate my fees even though those haven't changed from when I was in the Bay Area).

LSI goes as far as to ask for BGC from either NNA or LexisNexis but makes the following statement:

<<Background checks from sources other than NNA or LexisNexis, will be reviewed but must include the four components (1) Identity Verification Search (2) Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC) Search (3) DMV Report and (4)Criminal History Report. >>

I vaguely recall reading here on NotRot something about a free BGC from NL. Has anyone gotten that freebie and does it consist of all those components? Can you provide a link for that freebie? TIA!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/2/13 1:00pm
Msg #448482

Just so you know - LSI will not accept NotRot's BGC

as they claim it does not cover everything they want. I had received the free thing from LexisNexis too - that wasn't good enough either.

The only one that worked for me with them is the NNA BGC, and since sending them that I've been getting more calls.

Can't speak for ServiceLink.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 1/2/13 1:25pm
Msg #448487

Re: Just so you know - LSI will not accept NotRot's BGC

That's interesting, Linda. They accepted the NotRot BGC last time. But, thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/2/13 1:24pm
Msg #448486

Here's the BIG problem with CA BGCs now -- they're pretty much worthless as of Nov 16th, 2012, thanks to the new disciplinary guidelines. Why? Oh, we still have to go through the extensive screening... but the fact that convicted felons can now be granted a notary commission in CA makes passing those extensive (and expensive!) screenings completely useless as far as I'm concerned. It kind of ticks me off, frankly.... only because, while the liklihood of there being many felons who are even able to obtain a commission under the new guidelines are pretty low, the mere fact that it can happen at all is enough for a company to say, "Okay fine... you passed the CA background check. But how do I know you're not a felon?"

A lot of the companies who hire notaries to handle loan documents cannot have a convicted felon handling their documents... even *if* the state has deemed them rehabilitated. A felonious record is a felonious record.

AND, several companies, the NNA included, are about to pounce all over this... convincing them that they need to screen all of their CA notaries (especially those of us who have new or renewed commissions starting after 11/16/12) for felonies... which means selling ANOTHER BGC, where previous to 11/16/12, that was completely unnecessary because CA had a lifetime ban on felons obtaining a commission. Not any more. Now? You can obtain one after 10 years and you've been adjudicated to be rehabilitated. Well... you can possibly obtain one, that is. I'm sure those cases are done on a case-by-case basis.

SO, because a handful of people might be able to obtain commissions it going to cost the rest of us lots of extra cash to prove we aren't felons because the simple fact that we have a commission is no longer proof of that.

Reply by CentralNY on 1/2/13 1:41pm
Msg #448488

i have one thru crimecheck and both lsi and servicelink accept it, so far anyway. i obtained it thru a title co. that i work for that uses crimecheck and it has been accepted by all so far. it is very comprehensive. that stinks about ca.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/2/13 2:36pm
Msg #448502

My gut feeling on this is that even though this is now apparently state law, it still wouldn't hurt to direct our objections to whatever government officials we feel might read it. If they hear enough complaints, they might reconsider. In the meantime, I feel that the less attention we bring to the issue, the better. Any additional discussion, imo, just fans the flames of the BGC issue. Like Marian said, the NNA will likely jump on this soon enough - but let's not help them.

Reply by Lavergne Manuel on 1/2/13 3:18pm
Msg #448511

LexisNexis
Consumer Service Center
P. O. Box 105108
Atlanta, Georgia 30348-5108

I don't have the link. It's about 10 to 12 pages long and takes a few weeks to get.

I spoke to ServiceLink Vendor Management this morrning and they will take any BGC that has the components listed by someone above. They recommend a Company which you have to have a Code to get in the web site and it costs $48.00 and I don't know what the length of time is.

You need to call Servicelink Vendor Management and they will go over this with you.

Reply by Sha/CA on 1/2/13 3:30pm
Msg #448516

It looks like NotRot BGC may work. I hope so.

I received this is from LSI: Background checks from sources other than NNA or LexisNexis, will be reviewed but must include the four components (1) Identity Verification Search (2) Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC) Search (3) DMV Report and (4)Criminal History Report.

I just ordered my BGC from NotRot and will submit to LSI for their review.

Reply by SharonMN on 1/2/13 4:42pm
Msg #448529

Background checks are useless once the checkee touches them

Any background check the checkEE sends to a company is useless. So easy for someone to alter any information that might be used against them. All of these companies should be requesting originals sent directly from the checkER if they really care.

My policy: I do not pay for background checks, although I am happy to cooperate if a company wants to run one on me. I've had that done 2 or three times.

Reply by CentralNY on 1/2/13 5:53pm
Msg #448542

Good point, my checkeee tc requested mine but I

paid for. i consider it a minimal cost of doing biz.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.