Notary Rotary
Date error and my solution for the future
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by sueharke on 1/8/13 8:54pm
Msg #449507

Since we are admitting goofs, here's mine. I did a Provident signing on 10/30/12. I used the correct date on my forms, the signer used 10/29/12. I admit it was my error and I offer no excuses for not catching the error.

My solution was to make a form and printed (in large font for the vision impaired stating) "Today's Date __________________ . " The next line said the "RTC date _______________. " I write the date clearly on the form and put it in a cheap plastic sign holder and put the sign on the signing table. Since that day, I have not had a date error and the signers like knowing the correct date to sign on the documents.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/8/13 9:54pm
Msg #449521

My little tent with that info goes centered for all to see.

Every signing - without fail.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/8/13 10:17pm
Msg #449525

I adopted a sustantially different approach. I no longer let my dates select the restaurant until I have a chance to check out the menu prices on the Internet.

Reply by ArtG/KS on 1/9/13 9:29am
Msg #449577

Hughness, Ive tried for years to get a restauranteer in Wichita to name a restaurant the "I dont know restaurant". Then I would have a place to take my wife when I ask her where she would like to go eat.

Reply by La Trese Breaux on 1/8/13 11:08pm
Msg #449532

Good idea, each one teach one

Reply by MikeC/TX on 1/9/13 12:03am
Msg #449542

Personally, I would be offended if someone presented me with this. You're basically telling your BOs that you think they're idiots.

Wouldn't it be simpler (and less offensive) to just explain the RTC and TELL them what the dates should be before they even touch the document?

Reply by VT_Syrup on 1/9/13 3:22am
Msg #449552

Signers (and notaries) have all kinds of dates swimming through their heads. There's today's date, the date the property was acquired (which shows up in some questions the signers have to answer), the RTC date, the first payment date, the date the signer's personal check is likely to clear their bank, etc. I don't think it's unreasonable to provide a reminder of today's date. Banks do it on all their counters.

Reply by sueharke on 1/9/13 11:14am
Msg #449607

If the signer has to fill in the dates on a RTC, I create a sample form with the dates and where to initial. It is clearly labeled SAMPLE. Less explanation. The RTC date is there for my convenience.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.