Notary Rotary
Do NSAs need more than E&O, looked on "search" and
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by HSH/WA on 1/6/13 10:55am
Msg #449157

there is no conclusive opinion. I do very little GNW so now I'm concerned that I have the wrong insurance.

Reply by Roger_OH on 1/6/13 11:01am
Msg #449161

There is "Signing Agent" coverage available right here on NotRot that covers you as a Signing Agent.

Reply by sueharke on 1/6/13 11:41am
Msg #449171

From what I've read, NSA E&O is not yet available in CA. If it were, I'd lower my Notary E&O Insurance insurance for general notary work in the future and buy a higher amount of NSA E&O. It looks like the insurance companies (and lawyers) found another way pick the pocket of notaries.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/6/13 3:17pm
Msg #449213

Uhm, General Business liability is pretty important, and an umbrella policy if you can afford it.

E&O alone will not cover much.

Reply by Mia on 1/6/13 3:31pm
Msg #449216

Did you happen to see the post by Harry (NR) - Msg #448954

JMHO, if you happen to purchase the Insurance, I wouldn't tell any
hiring party that you have it... until there is an issue or claim.
If these hiring entities know some may have the insurance, they
may just make a claim for the sake of making a claim.

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/6/13 4:21pm
Msg #449225

The more you have, the bigger a target you become...just a word of caution. And, no, don't toss it out in front of every passing person/co.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/6/13 5:34pm
Msg #449241

Yet, sign up with a company and that is what they want to know about, they want copies of what you have, etc. And we all give it as we want to work for them (providing they meet our fees).

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/6/13 6:17pm
Msg #449248

No different than, say, a contractor that you hire to do

work on your house - you want to know they're "licensed" and insured - and you want to see proof of that.. I have no problem providing my E&O information - I trust my carrier to do a full investigation to avoid any frivolous claims.

JMO

Reply by jba/fl on 1/6/13 7:53pm
Msg #449261

Precisely. n/m

Reply by HSH/WA on 1/6/13 9:04pm
Msg #449270

Re: Yeah but most contractors have specific insurance to

protect them if they do something that causes you harm. You would think E&O would cover us, but maybe not.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/7/13 7:28am
Msg #449289

My point was - companies want to see our proof of

"licensure" (our commission) and proof of insurance coverage just like we do when we hire contractors to work on our homes. Many have said they won't provide it - if a contractor working on my home refused to provide me with that information I'd consider that very strange and wouldn't give them the job - simple as that.

Reply by desktopfull on 1/7/13 10:09am
Msg #449301

E & O and Liability insurance are 2 different items. You

are referring to liability insurance for your business, E & O doesn't cover business liability.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/7/13 12:43pm
Msg #449327

Not sure if this was addressed to me or not...but

No, I'm not referring to liability insurance - I know the difference DTF - and companies want to know we carry coverage IN CASE the notary they hired makes a mistake.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/6/13 7:09pm
Msg #449257

If you get it into your psyche that you're going to need

NSA insurance, you're going to talk yourself into it. A better investment is to find someone who sells Legal Shield and join up. (I don't have any financial involvement in this.) It's a great service. You get some "FREE" stuff as well as getting a reduced rate on legal services. I use it for my collection activity.

Don't talk yourself into anything. You'd be surprised how you can manifest these issues.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.