Dos and don'ts for a newbie
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by Deborah Genoway on 1/23/13 4:58pm
Msg #451760

Hi ya'll!

I am new to the whole mobile notary thing. Recently quit my job and am school full-time. I had two places call me this morning, by the time I called them back, about 6 hours later, the job was filled. Is that normal? I am not new to being a notary, just not so much on a larger scale. I have my TIN, so got that done. Are any of the classes out there worth there weight? Is there anything anyone might suggest for me as far as dos and don'ts? Any help appreciated.

Debbie

Reply by CarolF/NC on 1/23/13 5:12pm
Msg #451765

Check Your Personal Messages from the Home Screen n/m

Reply by CarolF/NC on 1/23/13 5:13pm
Msg #451766

Don't Hurt the Newbie. I will help her:)

and send her back here when she is ready. lol

Reply by Kenny Services - Dawn on 1/23/13 7:44pm
Msg #451792

Re: Don't Hurt the Newbie. I will help her:)

I applaud you Carol. You are a role model, wish others will follow your lead! Not that my opinion means anything, lol..but I am proud of you :-)

Reply by CarolF/NC on 1/23/13 5:39pm
Msg #451771

Deborah if You don't Know how to get your messages

just go to the home screen where it says messages and if you still have trouble click on my blue linked name and call me.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 1/23/13 5:15pm
Msg #451767

Yes. What you experienced is normal. Generally speaking if you don't answer your phone, schedulers will immediately call the next notary on their list. Once you've worked for a company for awhile and you've proven yourself to them they will wait for you to call back.

I did loan signing while I was a full-time student for 2 years. I finally realized that it was necessary for me to leave my phone on vibrate and when it "rang" I would leave class in the middle of a lecture to the call. The only exception was when I was during exams. I explained this to my instructors and they understood and never gave me a hard time about it.

I would encourage you to fix yourself a cup of coffee or cocoa and use the orange search button, here on the Notary Forum tab. Pull up messege #33325. You'll be amazed at the amount of information you'll find in that thread. I promise you that it will answer 97% of the questions you have about getting into this line of work.

Good luck.

Reply by La Trese Breaux on 1/23/13 5:55pm
Msg #451778

Aww Carol that is soo sweet of you.

Reply by Kenny Services - Dawn on 1/23/13 7:48pm
Msg #451793

Great advise Michelle, I am proud of you too! I love it when we have generous, helpful and selfless people on this forum!!! Pay if forward and you will always get back!!!!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/23/13 8:37pm
Msg #451795

Also be sure to read ALL the posts added to Msg# 33325. That's a thread that has been added to over the years with some info updated. I recommend more than one reading, as there's lots to take in...

Reply by MikeC/TX on 1/23/13 9:28pm
Msg #451801

Here's the first thing you need to learn - if you call them back 6 MINUTES later, the job is usually gone. 6 hours later? Don't waste your time.

Do's and don'ts for a newbie:

DO read this forum on a daily basis - you can stop reading a message thread when people start arguing, because there's not much you will learn there other than who you might want to avoid.

DO go through past messages, especially Msg#33325, because there is a wealth of information available to you here.

DO check Signing Central and do a search on any company offering you an assignment, because knowing what others have experienced can help you decide whether or not to take the assignment.

DO understand what it takes for you to make a profit - you MUST understand what your costs are in order to figure out what you should charge in order to actually make money doing this. Note: What you must charge will often be different from what they're willing to pay. In that case, let them find someone else. Accepting work that will cost you money is probably not a good business decision....

DO NOT take an assignment from any company that has a history (as shown here in the forum and in the remarks on Signing Central) of slow pay or no pay - you do not want to work harder to collect your money than you did to earn it.

DO NOT take assignments from those who offer low pay in exchange for "volume" - that doesn't work in this situation, because most of your costs are fixed. The only thing "volume" will do in that case is make you go broke faster.

After all that , everything else is cream cheese....

Reply by CarolF/NC on 1/23/13 10:37pm
Msg #451808

Good Info Mike n/m

Reply by Jennifer Jackson on 1/24/13 6:24am
Msg #451829

Sometimes I call RIGHT back and the job has been filled. If this is something you really are interested in, calling back 6 hours later is not going to cut it. Most of these signing services are trying to fill orders that are same and next day, so they are trying to get the job filled as soon as possible. Just a heads up...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.