Notary Rotary
Eat your heart out! I had 8 signings today
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 1/28/13 11:03pm
Msg #452848

and the last signing I had no docs for until 7pm, the hour on which I was to have been sitting at their dining room table working away.

By the time I get them downloaded from a secure site, and printed the appraisal out, I was 30 minutes late.

I hate that I can't be on time. So those of you who think we should have documents 2,3,4 hours ahead of time, where do I sign up!

EOM wackiness, and of course, Florida BofA still at it at 10pm, so imagine they are frustrated too.

Off the lock, I'm beat!

Reply by ananotary on 1/28/13 11:06pm
Msg #452849

Congrats!!!! I had 4 today, want to be just like you when I grow up!! Smile. I find I'm busiest last few days of the month with commercial closings.

Reply by JimAZ on 1/28/13 11:15pm
Msg #452850

Have another cup of coffee before you drive because your post is out there.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/28/13 11:35pm
Msg #452852

" So those of you who think we should have documents 2,3,4 hours ahead of time, where do I sign up!"

Eh, it's a matter of how one chooses to do business. If you have the ability to accept documents that late and still travel, etc... that's great... but it doesn't work for everyone's business model.

I refuse to accept that getting document to the notary at the time of the appointment, or way later is SOP. It's lazy, IMO... there's rarely an excuse. Yes, here are some cases when exceptions can be made, but it has become standard. I don't buy it, and given the area I work and other factors, I can't accept that. I have a 4-hour window and I believe that that more than reasonable.

Do I miss on some opportunities because of it? Perhaps... but that's my business model and it works for me. And of course, there are times when I do accept assignment with less notice, though rarely.... and it is mostly because of substantial travel involved. A company may call me thinking I'm an hour away from an appointment based on my office address -- a big mistake to assume I'm sitting in my office waiting for their call-- because in reality, I'm two hours away, because I'm in a location an hour the opposite direction because I'm not sitting around in my office, I'm out working. So, that's 2 hours of driving right there, just to get to a single appointment, not to mention any stops for printing or other scheduled appointments. I like to build in small buffers of time to my schedule to handle unknowns in my travel -- like trains stuck on tracks or rural highway closures... or those blasted wide load trucks carrying wind farm generator parts along a 2-lane highway in a no-passing zone. Smile

And this is why I charge a premium for my services. If I lived in a more populated area it might be different. I don't handle a volume of appointments... I can't. The idea of doing 8 signings in one day seems impossible for my area. 3-4 is a ridiculous day for me.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/29/13 12:38am
Msg #452860

In my decade of this biz, 8 was my max ever. Many 6-7 days.

The Coastal Flyer sometimes put on hundreds of miles/day at EOM.

The better the communications, the better the outcomes, yes?

Reply by parkerc/ME on 1/29/13 8:37am
Msg #452868

Each have their own requirements...mine match Marian's...for

all her reasons. My state is rural, so everywhere is via back roads, up/down/around hills. 2 a day is my max and I've increased my doc requirements time from 3 to 4 hours which I'm stating during the assignment phone call. Have also started refusing some signings based on the lenders...who historically have late docs. And also refusing signings coming from Mountain and Pacific time companies...they ALWAYS ignore the time difference, so I'm now turning them down. Yes, I'm picky but I don't rely on this for my living and I refuse to cowtail to any TC or SS. There's no such thing as a rush job...poor planning on their part does not make it an emergency on mine.

Reply by janCA on 1/29/13 8:54am
Msg #452870

Re: Each have their own requirements...mine match Marian's...for

i understand everyone has her/his own business model they have to follow but you are naive to think that there is "laziness" on the part of title or lender. These companies are backed up into China. People are refinancing and purchasing at warp speeds. Not enough time or employees to handle the load. Sometimes I get docs 15 mins before an appt. Do I like it, hell no, but that's the way it is, and it's not going to change anytime soon and ya all better enjoy this ride because it's not going to last forever.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/29/13 10:17am
Msg #452886

THe problem is that getting docs 15 mins before a signing 60-90 mins away simply doesn't WORK. It's inconsiderate to the borrowers and to the notary and will often throw off document package delivery schedules, too.

I've done this work in three very distinct areas... dense city (Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley) Suburban, and now timbucktoo rural desert where I have to drive 20+ miles just to get to a grocery store. I have to drive 45 miles to do any real shopping beyond basic groceries or gas.

They all require very different business models and ways of thinking. There's NO flippin' way I'd accept docs 15 mins prior to an appointment unless they paid a hefty late docs fee and covered any extended travel I may have had to do waiting on their promises. But you see... I'm not too keen on driving around the desert in areas of low phone and data signals in the hopes of getting docs just before an appointment.

These companies aren't THAT backed up that they can't readjust their schedules to have the docs ready before they start calling for a notary. Sorry, I simply don't buy it. I work with PLENTY of title and escrow companies who manage to get me their packages 24-48 hours in advance in picture perfect condition. They respect my time and effort. They don't hold my hand. They understand the dynamics of the borrower and the signing circumstances and they PLAN accordingly. It's not that difficult. The are being run inefficiently. It's that simple.

Reply by RonnieB/NC on 1/29/13 12:25pm
Msg #452911

Hi Marian, I agree with you a hundred percent. They are running an inefficient Company. You know them they always call last minute. I know things can happen, but all the time?. I used to take them, but I get very stress when I cannot make the signing on time. I rather do 4 good ones for the day.

Reply by janCA on 1/29/13 6:05pm
Msg #452987

The majority of my signings are within 5 miles or less. I can make it there in 5 mins., borrowers are always kept apprised of the situation and if it's one of my higher paying clients, if they send the docs 15 mins prior to the appt., I will accomodate. I could not make a profit if I had to drive an hour to an hour and a half. Thirty miles is usually my max and I charge accordingly. I receive plenty of those calls asking me to go way out of my area, in fact, even to go to your area. Guess who I refer them to???

Reply by parkerc/ME on 1/29/13 10:47am
Msg #452894

Again, poor planning on their part.....etc... If there is such an allfired overload of refi backlogs, good management will hire additional help. Lord knows we have so many needing jobs. But then maybe part of THEIR business plan is to crank out as many refi's as they can, pocket the high fees they charge the borrower on the HUD-1 (paying lower for the SA) and let the SA make them look good by bending over backwards to redeem their reputations.

Reply by parkerc/ME on 1/29/13 10:36am
Msg #452891

kowtow, not cowtail....my bad! n/m

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/29/13 11:59am
Msg #452909

Knew what you meant, but I love "cowtail"... :-) n/m

Reply by Clem/CA on 1/29/13 11:26am
Msg #452902

Re: printed the appraisal out

You did get paid extra for doing the appraisers job, right? B of A Loans sometimes come with them byt the BO almost always already has been sent their copy, ask the BO first. I do not print them for under $25.00 more.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 1/29/13 11:53am
Msg #452905

I was thinking the same thing Clem. I never print appraisals unless I am paid for it and IF I do print it, it is ONLY for the borrower. I do not print one to send back with pkg. NOT our job.

Reply by Ali/IL on 1/29/13 11:56am
Msg #452906

True it is the bo that wants appraisal in package. Nationallink does that and, always sure enough the borrower already has their copies. We shouldn't have to print those out.
As for the late docs their is a title company that I do signings for that is habitually late with docs. There are times when I have called with a deadline then they send them if they already have everything ready. Some of these companies are super busy.
I charge accordingly and at same time super grateful I have work.

Reply by ADELE VANDEHOUTEN on 1/29/13 12:55pm
Msg #452919

How could you possibly treat your EIGHT signings properly? Rush them through? Tell them they have 3 days to rescind? Finish the signings at home instead of in front of the client? I hope I never have you for my signing notary.

Reply by ToniK on 1/29/13 4:42pm
Msg #452972

Sounds like you don't know how. It's not hard. I've done 13 in one day (its not a daily occurrence)and each one was done the same and no issues. If you have an effective procedure it can be done. My background in counterterrorism and background investigations in a fast paced, deadlined environment makes one good at working under pressure and still be professional.

I'm always amazed at how other ppl can't fathom how others can handle a huge number of closings simply because they lack the skills themselves to conduct a high level of closings.

Reply by 101livescan on 1/29/13 4:46pm
Msg #452977

How could you assume all this? Quite the contrary, I am known for my quality customer care and knowledge, courteous and professional demeanor...that's why I'm standing on my head for at least 12 hours a day, sometimes 18. I've had a lot of spillover from 2012, people who wanted to close last year but couldn't due to staggering volume of files in the lenders' pipelines. Most signings are 30 minutes, some are an hour. Sometimes they are signed in one place.

If you were a little more gracious, I might even share with you how I got to this point. It didn't happen overnight that's for sure. I've spent years building a client base. Several LOs I work for are prolific and have great reputations for getting the best loans for their clients. I happen to be their gotonotary...it's no accident.

You haved an awesome day!

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 1/29/13 7:43pm
Msg #453008

OMG! R U kidding?

101 and I don't agree very often on this board, but one thing I do know is that she is a competent, professional and efficient notary. For you to trash her by jumping to all sorts of idiotic conclusions only reflects badly on you. Other notaries explained clearly how they could not accommodate 8 jobs in a day owing to their geographic location. You accused her of all sorts of inane conduct all of which revealed clearly what kind of loan signer you are. Instead of whining that you wouldn't want her for your signing notary, it's clear to me you would benefit greatly by her example in a loan signing. Fact is, you sound like you'd benefit greatly from anyone's example.

Reply by dgd/CA on 1/29/13 7:43pm
Msg #453009

How dare you even infer in the negative with regards to so

many highly regarded and well respected NSAs on this forum. Do You Not Consider For Even One Moment, that these true professionals get up at 4 or 5 am, only to find, at EOM, the true comforts of their homes shortly before midnight? I am so disappointed in you... later in the day, YOU (sorry Harry) posted Msg #452926., re: Notary Divas. I darst say, You Would Be Amongst The First To Ask That Any One Of Them, and more, would go out to an emergency signing at 9pm (without regard to the fatigue of their day).

BTW, in so much as I do not work for SS, I post this without prejudice. Based upon your (companys') comments and rating in SC ( oops, so sorry if I have offended, however; you do appear to be an individual previously employed by "current" management), after this posting, why do you presume that anyone in this forum would give you the time of day, particularly given your offensive post?

Quite frankly, you represent yourself as nothing but negatives... 1. You Do Represent A Signing Service... 2. You Are Obviously A Notary Public... 3. You Block (ergo hiding your true identity) Your Profile From Members Of This Forum...4. Coward...

P.S. Came home to "print and go" for someones highly paid re-sign. Given my appointment shortly thereafter, hope to be home with a glass of Alexander Valley Red by 9:30 pm. Smile lmbo, I'm in California, may take a while longer...

Any further negative discussion, send me a PM and we'll do the dance because your comment does not deserve a place on this forum, as far as I'm concerned (from my mothers birth place of SE Texas):

"We Are Tits Up And Takin On Water." I will remember, I will continue to challenge you...

Your Fellow Notary Public/Signing Agent... Donna

Reply by 101livescan on 1/29/13 1:02pm
Msg #452923

Borrower already had appraisal before i arrived.

Reply by ananotary on 1/29/13 6:57pm
Msg #452992

Wow, what that was low! I can completely see how she

could get 8 signings done effeciently and professionally. Sheesh!

Reply by dgd/CA on 1/29/13 8:25pm
Msg #453017

Sweetheart...You are sooooooo regarded ... please don't pay attention to this particular wench that later in the day posted HER SS "Notary Divas" comment. Slug.... slug... slug...I'M tired, I did post a comment in defense of all NSAs on this forum....

I Am So Proud Of You.... Smile

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 1/29/13 1:04pm
Msg #452925

I've read about NSAs having trouble w/ late docs from Chase

... lately, so when I had a TC call with a Chase loan last Thursday for a Sat AM signing, I made it very clear that I have a 2 hr cutoff for docs and if not received at least 2 hrs prior to the signing, I reserve the right to reschedule with borrowers if our schedules permitted or turn back the signing. I received the docs early Friday afternoon. Smile

There will be times that docs are late, but I think communication has a lot to do with limiting the number of times that occurs. I have read here that some NSAs even charge an extra fee for late docs.

I have been able to reschedule some and I have turned back some over the last 7 years. In the beginning I didn't do a good job of communication my cutoff time frame and, as a result, I frequently had late docs (multiple companies and multiple lenders). I quickly became much better at communicating what I expected and saw a dramatic decline in late docs. At least that has been my experience.

If a SS or TC calls to request a signing several days in advance, I do not see any reasonable excuse for late docs, jmo.

Reply by John E. Rogers on 1/29/13 5:02pm
Msg #452979

Re: I've read about NSAs having trouble w/ late docs from Chase

Moneyman/TX, Good suggestions, I have had many similar experiences and got stuck with losing not only the Chase signing but also others turned down because I assumed the Chase docs would arrive in a reasonable time...of course on a number of occasions, they didn't so I lost out totally. I have recently started to do what you suggested and usually get docs on time now (barely of course). Thanks again.

jer/OH

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 1/29/13 10:20pm
Msg #453037

Work Ethic

to be proud of. I'm convinced I'd be "toast" after 5 or 6 in one day. It definitely takes someone who has their routine down and has control of the signing! IMO it takes EXPERIENCE.

I would like to know if NSAs doing multiple signings in a day drop all packages at once? Alert companies of completed closing? Do journal entries for each at time of signing? Keep appts within xx mile radius; keep auto running in between appts?

I'm curious because I got inundated with overkill closing reminder messages (text and email)- 1 each to cell and email at 3 and 4 pm. It was making me crazy. No way I'd want to deal with that for more than 4 closings on same day!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.