Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
I saw the topic for 'Sign on the X'... not what I thought...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by Malbrough_LA on 1/31/13 9:11pm
Msg #453374

Have you ever had a constituent that had to "make their mark" or can you assist them in making their mark because they could not sign their name....for WHATEVER reason. I've had quite a few of these in St. Francisville, Natchitoches, etc... (either way, spell checker is telling me I misspelled them all.../sigh...)

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/31/13 9:15pm
Msg #453376

We have "Signature by Mark" here...

They can sign with an X - and we follow certain protocol for notarizing. However, I don't think we can "help" them make the mark - they have to make it on their own. If they can't make the mark on their own (if they're that sick or that weak) they can designate someone to sign in their stead - including the notary if they so wish.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/31/13 10:16pm
Msg #453381

Re: We have "Signature by Mark" here...

Okay, so you have signature by Mark in Florida. What happens if Mark is busy, or is just not interested in helping?

Reply by BobbiCT on 2/1/13 6:40am
Msg #453394

LOL - We call Dick, Jane or Spot. Thanks for the laugh/end n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/1/13 12:41pm
Msg #453439

<<rolls eyes>>....oy... :) n/m

Reply by Edward Cooke on 1/31/13 9:21pm
Msg #453377

I'd look at the Art. 1578 testament as a guideline: " ... ; and if he is unable to affix his mark he may direct another person to assist him in affixing a mark, or to sign his name in his place. The other person may be one of the witnesses or the notary."

Reply by rengel/CA on 2/1/13 11:13am
Msg #453428

FL uses their heads with their laws.

California sure doesn't. We can't do that, the person has to be able to make their own mark.

My .02

Reply by Edward Cooke on 2/1/13 3:20pm
Msg #453475

Re: FL uses their heads with their laws.

CA is twisted in too many ways to count; I don't know anything about FL's laws, notary or otherwise except HOA/COA, but I do like Louisiana's civil law system over the other states' common law.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 2/1/13 3:44pm
Msg #453479

Re: FL uses their heads with their laws.

Edward - you posted you don't know anything about FL laws, notary or otherwise. As a notary you should know Florida's notary laws

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.