Notary Rotary
JMT Anyone Hearing From them?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by CarolF/NC on 1/3/13 10:42am
Msg #448634

Just wondering if people previously working with them are still on their radar. Some of us seem to have fallen off.

Reply by Treasure Valley Notary - Tina on 1/3/13 11:08am
Msg #448637

I did on Monday. They offered a really low ball fee. I gave them my normal fee, plus 2 additional fees (didn't even charge holiday fees). The gal flipped out. $25 for drop everything I'm doing and run out the door signing. $25 to use my 4 wheel drive due to bad road conditions. They felt I was unreasonable. Maybe I was?!? The gal was mad because I was charging extra for same day signing. I tried to explain to her that I don't charge extra for same day signing, but I do charge extra for wanting me to literally drop everything, print docs and run out the door to be at your signing with only a one hour buffer before the scheduled meeting time (remember their emergency does not constitute our emergency). And during the winter if I feel the road conditions are such that I must use my 4 wheel drive vehicle I have a service fee for that. It costs me triple what my run around car does and the signing was 45 miles away. I probably won't be hearing from them again anytime soon (or when they are desperate). Not my loss. My fees are my fees and I don't have to justify them. I know my absolute base in order to make a profit, which is the main reason I am in business. No profit = no living = no reason to work for myself. So many companies want to pay McDonald's prices but want prime rib service.

I'm going to shift gears here a little because so many new people are coming on board right now and asking questions that they should have known the answers to before they made the decision to make loan signings a career.

My husband is working with a lady on how to improve her bottom line in her business. She made $4,000 last year. But she figured out it cost her $11,000 to make that $4,000. I'm not a rocket scientist, but I can do math. And that math is not good. Either she needs to raise her prices, or lower her expenses, or do both. But then she may still not make what she needs to and getting a regular JOB would be the best thing. Being self employed is not for everyone. The dreams of running your own business don't always work the way one thinks.

Reply by Elaine Carlton on 1/3/13 11:15am
Msg #448639

I do a lot of work for JMT in my area. It is unusual for me to receive a request for such a last minute signing. JMT works a lot with Quicken Loans. They pay less, however you only print one set of docs. The document package is smaller and everything is already dated. The average time at the signing table is about 30-40 minutes. They are usually very efficient. I think the lower fee is justifiable if you are signing a Quicken Loan. I like working for them.

Reply by Treasure Valley Notary - Tina on 1/3/13 11:30am
Msg #448642

Their fee may have been ok for my very local area, but this included travel and they knew that. I have a bottom line base for that area. The point isn't that they are smaller packages, quick signings, etc. The point is that they were rude and wanted to argue the fee. It wasn't a negotiation. I'm cool with that if it was. But this was out of line. The roads were also questionable as to safety. I'm willing to risk it, but at a price. Again they were rude and out of line. Maybe it was just a stressful day for the gal that called. Fine. But leave it on that side of the phone line. I'm not the bad guy here, just offering a service. One that comes at a price. Don't like my price, move on. But don't treat me like a criminal. '

I personally should have asked her to justify her low ball fee. I'm tired of companies telling me they can't pay my fee because they don't make that much on the signing. They are giving discounts to the large companies in hopes that we will take their low fees and just get the job done. What is really "good" is when they tell me what they are making (an example might be: $150, but they offered me $65 originally - which included edocs). This is why I have my fees set like I do. I don't care what they make off of me. I care what I make off the signing. Again, I am in this to make a profit. I am not a charity. I have expenses that I need to cover. I ask that companies respect that, or move on to someone else. JMT moved on, but only after being rude. I've had other experiences with them and that wasn't the case. But on Monday it was. Elaine asked if anyone had heard from them recently and I had.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 1/3/13 12:25pm
Msg #448663

Something to consider ...

This is just the latest of several recent posts regarding lo-ball offers requiring the notary to instantly dash off on far distances in lousy weather on hazardous roads. I think the fact that it's winter adds to the ugliness of the whole picture. So I will offer this suggestion (again) since you mentioned expectations for red carpet service while paying 99 cents store prices.

Of course, $65 is absurd - but with an increase of, say, $20, you add "I will need to ask borrowers to drive to me"or "borrowers will have to drive to me" or "borrowers will need to meet me in a location that mutually convenient." Might work. Cuts out all the pointless negotiations and saves wear and tear on your car and gas. I've done this occasionally when the situation called for it with responses: "We don't care, just get it done." And I don't care if the borrowers get all gnarly either. Something's got to give, and this is one area where somebody else has got to bend. I'm a notary and a loan signer, but not a rag where everybody can wipe their feet.

I got a recent job confo for "such and such area." When I got docs, I discovered their homestead was in the woolies of next county over from the "area," through I don't know now many feet of snow, etc. No way. Borrowers were willing to come to the nearest outpost to the freeway. The SS was fine with my asking. Otherwise, find somebody else.

I know getting many of us notaries to think outside the box is next to impossible. No, make that impossible. I could cite a few examples, but just sayin, Tina, you had nothing to lose in the JMT case. I know Idaho, and if I were a notary there, I'd include that counteroffer in my repertoire: "Borrowers will need to meet me." Presumably they have 4-wheel drive, too! And can be driving while you're printing if everybody is in such an all-fired hurry.

Reply by ToniK on 1/3/13 11:48am
Msg #448647

I dont do JMT anymore fees too low and I do alot of TS/Quicken and get paid twice what JMT offers. Also a Quicken loan only takes me 15 mins. JMT always calling for signing farther than 20 miles. Not worth my time.

Reply by Cam/CA on 1/3/13 12:00pm
Msg #448658

Re: JMT pay notaries rock bottom, just say NO. I do Quicken

loans for signing services who pay almost double what JMT offer.....I know which SSs I would rather get the business.

Reply by desktopfull on 1/3/13 4:22pm
Msg #448707

$65 w/edocs isn't even reasonable for a Quicken loan. n/m

Reply by sueharke on 1/3/13 8:17pm
Msg #448751

Amen to your husband. I see this every year and people do not understand the aspects of the cost of running a business.

Reply by SharonMN on 1/3/13 12:25pm
Msg #448662

I work for them a lot but have only had a couple of calls since Christmas. Both were for Chase loans which I refuse to discount, so they didn't give me the assignment. I will discount my normal rates for a Quicken with them because they are so easy, but that has not been my experience with the Chase loans.

Reply by Ron/Tx on 1/3/13 12:41pm
Msg #448670

I stand firm with my price. They offer me $75 with edocs. My fee is $100. Take it or leave it. They chose not to. Ok with me.

Reply by Sandra Clark on 1/3/13 12:43pm
Msg #448671

I work with them and they meet my fees - just depends on coverage area as to what they will pay. Have always done Quicken for them, nothing else. Will not do Chase. Pays in timely manner.

Reply by Frank/NC on 1/3/13 6:12pm
Msg #448731

Rather than even start bargaining with a low ball company, I choose to let them go right into voice mail. It's just a PITA to have to begin the bargaining process and then have someone say they need to get that fee approved.

Reply by ILNotary on 1/7/13 11:56am
Msg #449320

Anyone else having problems with not getting confirmations from JMT the last few weeks?
When I have taken an otder I always have to call and ask them to re-send docs or confirmation. No problems with anyone else so doubt it is my Yahoo email account.
Nothing in spam and they are in my contact list too.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.