Notary Rotary
Jurat Wording
Notary Discussion History

Jurat Wording
Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by SuzieQ/CA on 1/16/13 7:36pm
Msg #450730

Jurat Wording

Hello. I'm doing my first signing tomorrow. Docs are over 130 pages, out of which there are about 10-15 places with the jurat language. Problem is each jurat is worded slightly different from each other and none conforms with CA law. There was also included in the package one loose jurat certificate with the correct CA wording. Do you think I should just make copies of the certificate and attach it to each document that needs a jurat? Do I need to speak to SS first? Do i need approval first? I have the jurat stamp also. Can i use this? Also, I didn't get to say this, but want to say thanks to Goldgirl from CA who responded to my very first post. Sorry for any typos. I'm working on my iPhone. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/16/13 7:59pm
Msg #450733

You never, ever need permission to notarize lawfully and correctly, per CA notary laws (Handbook and Newsletter). If you don't have a jurat stamp, attach a loose leaf jurat. You can download both acknowledgment and jurats FREE directly from the SOS website. Print as many as you need.

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/forms/notary_ack.pdf

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/forms/notary_jurat.pdf

Here's the SOS website address: www.sos.ca.gov (click on "Notary Public" under Business Programs) Download the Handbook and Newsletter. Know them backwards and forwards.

Reply by anotaryinva on 1/16/13 8:07pm
Msg #450735

Congrats on doing your first signing. you're lucky you got the docs early.

Email the co that hired you. They will give you clear instructions on what you are expected to do. By emailing them you will get a written response that you should hold on to if you feel necessary.

I've been doing this for eight years and I don't even blink when I have a question, better to be safe than sorry. DO not be afraid to ask anything

If you are working for a SS they will be more than happy to help you.

Good luck, remember you hold the docs, the borrowers will be happy to see you

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/16/13 8:38pm
Msg #450743

I agree with Lisa...

You never ask the TC or SS permission to do your notarizations properly. All they have control over is how the package is produced and signed. You may want to clear with them that a jurat stamp will be acceptable, but preface that by telling them the preprinted ones are not CA compliant and, by law, you cannot use them. You can either attach another page or use your stamp - their choice.

The govern the docs; YOU govern your notarizations and certificates and anything else notary-related.

JMO and good luck

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/16/13 9:37pm
Msg #450746

I also agree with Lisa!

You follow state law... you don't need their permission nor do you have to consult them. If they wanted to have pretty documents without loose forms, they would have taken the time to use proper CA wording on each document.

Reply by Buddy Young on 1/16/13 10:37pm
Msg #450757

Re: I also agree with Lisa!

Sometimes instructions will require you to do something illegal. Lisa is correct. I typed my own Jurats and acknowledgements into my computer and print them out as I need them.

I recieved instructions the other day not to staple notarial certificates to the docs they represent. Sorry California law requires notarial certificates to be stapled.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/17/13 12:53am
Msg #450778

Re: I also agree with Lisa!

Actually, CA *law* requires certificates to be "attached". The interpretation that that means they have to be stapled I believe came from a newsletter from the SOS office - not quite the same thing.

However, I wholeheartedly agree with all who said to go ahead and correct the jurat verbiage. Not only do you not need permission, it's your responsibility to do so. I have never asked about using my jurat stamp. The feedback I've always heard it that it's preferred over adding another page.

Having said that, I also consider it the responsibility of the CA notary to always have on hand a plentiful supply of replacement certificates for both acknowledgments and jurats. When I first became a notary, I created my own in Word, and I just edit them with each subsequent commission to update the commission expiration date, etc., as well as any verbiage changes that have happened over the years. That way, I can print up a new supply whenever I'm running low.

BTW, if you have questions about anything other than completing your notary certificates (which you should know backwards and forwards before trying to do a loan signing), by all means, ask your client. But be careful. Most of us - if not all - who have been doing this business for any significant period of time have been asked at some point to do something inappropriate, if not downright illegal.

Best of luck!

Reply by linda/ca on 1/17/13 2:15am
Msg #450782

Suzie said she has a Jurat stamp...Suzie use your stamp! n/m

Reply by SuzieQ/CA on 1/17/13 9:54am
Msg #450791

Thanks everyone so much for your advice! I feel much better now.

Reply by emilysigns on 1/17/13 11:07am
Msg #450802

Using your own certificates

For any of you who are new....

If you do choose to make your own certificates, it is very important to understand recording requirements--all county recorders have margin requirements and some counties are very strict regarding these margins.

Most of the documents you notarize will not be recorded with the county, but you don't want to have something rejected because your certificate does not comply with recording guidelines.

Reply by Robin/CA on 1/17/13 11:22am
Msg #450808

Re: Using your own certificates

When you do use your own certificate do you put on the origingal doc "see attached"? I was just recently asked to submit a Jurat form because I had missed a notarization. I had them email me the original doc because my notarial journal showed that I had attached a loose Jurat certificate. Sure enough you could see the staple in the upper left corner of the doc. Apparently the docs had been "taken apart" and they could not locate the notarized jurat form.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 1/17/13 11:45am
Msg #450819

Yes, definitely write ....

.... something on the original doc that a loose certificate is attached. The main reason we CA notaries attach loose certificates is cos the ack/jurat wording is noncompliant. So I had a small stamp made that reads: "CA compliant certificate attached." Then I add the date and initial next to the stamp.

Reply by Robin/CA on 1/17/13 11:49am
Msg #450822

Re: Yes, definitely write ....

Great idea. Thank you!

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/17/13 12:12pm
Msg #450831

Re: Using your own certificates

Yes, absolutely make this notation!! I also use stamps. Mine look like this:

http://www.highdesertnotary.com/images/attachstamps.jpg

They reference the specific CA code the outlines the required wording, so if there are questions as to why I attached a loose certificate, they can look it up before whining to me about it. Wink

As for the recording requirements of the counties... it's usually never an issue as long as you leave a 1-1/5" margin all around the certificate. Even then, it's NOT YOUR PROBLEM if the document doesn't record. If they wanted to assure a document would record, they would make sure that compliant wording was used to begin with. You can attach or use any form of notarial wording you wish for our certificate... that YOUR domain. You can stamp it, staple a preprinted form or write it in by hand... doesn't matter as long as the wording is correct.

Reply by Priscilla Witman on 1/17/13 12:52pm
Msg #450846

I have a "see attached" stamp too.

It references the applicable codes for acknowledgment/jurat wording. I've never had one kicked back. In fact, I've gotten compliments on it. When you reference the codes, there's not much room for misinterpretation. Thanks to Marian_in_CA for that idea.

I always try to use my ack/jurat stamp if there's room, but if not, I attach customized certificates with my name, Notary Public, preprinted. Something else I picked up, I think it was from LKT/CA, is customized acknowledgement certificates for "he/she/they" as well, so there's no need to cross out the extra pronouns. I have gotten so many very helpful ideas from this forum.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.