Notary Rotary
Mandatory Seminar from Service???
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by Hiram on 1/29/13 8:10pm
Msg #453014

Just received an e-mail from Servicelink stating that I must attend a Mandatory Seminar in another city for about 2 hours and they offered to pay my parking if needed. During morning hours on a business day. Anyone else get this e-mail and comments, please. I thought I was an independent contractor. I've got to think this one over!!!

Reply by Yoli/CA on 1/29/13 8:55pm
Msg #453020

You may want to contact Vendor Management about this.

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/29/13 9:15pm
Msg #453028

I shake my head at some of the "requirements" that companies are demanding on their contractors.

It's like their main source of entertainment is "Dancing Notary Monkeys"

Hiram, I think if you are in an area where signing agents are not plentiful, they will still call you even if you do not take the training. Just my opinion. Smile

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/29/13 10:14pm
Msg #453036

Or it's just somebody trying to justify that they are 'doing something' to keep their job.

Reply by Karen Maxwell-Cervantes on 1/29/13 9:22pm
Msg #453029

I received the same email. It is downtown the traffic and parking is a nightmare. I wonder what they will be sharing with us. I will go and for those who can not make it I will share the infor with you. Here in San Antonio it is on Feb. 7th.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 1/29/13 11:50pm
Msg #453059

Why would you do this? Are you getting so much work from them that you really feel a need to put yourself through this? Anything they need to tell you can be done through a webinar - there's no reason you have to actually have to be there in person...

Reply by HSH/WA on 1/29/13 10:35pm
Msg #453046

Re: They should offer it on line. n/m

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 1/30/13 12:37am
Msg #453065

" Mandatory Seminar in another city for about 2 hours and they offered to pay my parking if needed."

Someone at Servicelink needs to review the IRS regulations regarding what constitutes an IC and what constitutes an employe for such a "request". IMO, the "request" is out of bounds for a company wishing to hire IC's verses employees.

It wouldn't even fly with an employee either. 2 hrs + travel for a "mandatory" meeting, without compensation? I don't think so.

Reply by BobbiCT on 1/30/13 6:48am
Msg #453069

Thanks, Moneyman. LOL :)

I doubt Servicelink has a CLUE what diferentiates an Independent Contractor from an "employee."

For example, the recent IRS audit ruling regarding "independent truck drivers who owned their own trucks" BUT only worked for one "scheduling company" were found to be "employees" under the IRS decision. Why: In short, independent contractors work for multiple businesses, set their own fees and hours. In the "scheduling company" case the "employee-defined" drivers were only working for that company and were assigned specific schedules and jobs at the scheduling company's direction - no independent decision by the IC other than "take it or leave it" and the IC drivers did not work for any other companies: Independent because I work for multiple companies or employee because I only work for one company.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/30/13 11:29am
Msg #453103

Re: Thanks, Moneyman. LOL :)

Exactly... these companies don't realize what being an IC really means. It means "hands off" in a big way.

ONe of the companies I do work for completely restructured their company last year. They dumped all of their ICs and selectively hired only a handful of people as actual employees to handle their work for them. The work is pretty much the same, but now, as an employee, I am actually getting paid MORE. It's rough for the company, but it puts them in compliance with federal law.

Having employees is expensive on a business, and that's why they try to hide people under the guise of ICs. But in reality, they aren't independent. Being truly independent is rare.

Reply by NJW/FL on 1/30/13 1:35pm
Msg #453130

I rec'd the same e mail. They are stating that it is a great opportunity for us to gain additional retail branch business from major lenders. One hour drive each way and time stated is 9:30 until 12:30 on a Thursday one of my busiest days of the week.

Reply by NJW/FL on 1/30/13 3:50pm
Msg #453167

Won't see me there n/m

Reply by Karla/WA on 1/30/13 5:57pm
Msg #453183

I wonder if ServiceLink is going to curtail the scheduling of loans in every area at the time when these seminars are taking place.

This would be a 4 hour gig for me to attend and what they have to say could be sent to us in an email I could read in 10 minutes.

I have no problem with additional opportunities. The "mandatory" wording is hysterical.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.