Notary Rotary
New signing agent wants to do what to do next
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by MMaha on 1/4/13 12:12pm
Msg #448844

I am new signing agent and I want to know how do I need to proceed from here. Do I need to contact title companies, if yes, how??

Reply by desktopfull on 1/4/13 12:16pm
Msg #448846

Take Business 101 & keep your day job until you have a clue n/m

Reply by MikeIL on 1/4/13 1:06pm
Msg #448854

Re: Take Business 101 & keep your day job until you have a clue

Is that nastiness real necessary?

Reply by desktopfull on 1/4/13 1:10pm
Msg #448855

Just stating the truth,not being nasty at all, how many this

week have asked the exact same thing? None have apparently even bothered to do any reading of the site at all, just want everyone else to do the work for them and tell them how to start and market a business.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 1/4/13 1:14pm
Msg #448857

DeskTopFull and Mike

Thank You Mike. DeskTopFull - maybe you forgot how you started or you knew more than most of us. Just finding this site is a start and they made that effort. Learning how to use the site and knowing what is available here is difficult. If you don't want to help, don't. But I'm with Mike, unhelpful answers don't serve a purpose. Skip the post and move on.

Reply by desktopfull on 1/4/13 1:37pm
Msg #448866

Perfect example of why TC's & SS's do so much handholding.

When you start a business you should already know the in's and out's of the business your getting into, especially on how to market and get clients. Telling someone to take a business course that admits they don't know how to do the aforementioned IMO is being helpful. Obtaining your notary seal doesn't make you a signing agent. Sorry if honest answers aren't what you're looking for, sometimes the truth hurts but many times it's more helpful than the hand holding. Many wonder why nsa's aren't treated more as professionals, take a look at those that enter this business without any business experience or knowledge of any kind trying to promote themselves as an nsa because they think it's fast easy money to be made. Let's see there have been at least 4 this week alone posting the same thing "Hi, I'm new, tell me how I can get business."

Reply by loancloser46 on 1/4/13 9:18pm
Msg #448979

Agree with desktop..... n/m

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 1/4/13 11:15pm
Msg #448996

Re: Just stating the truth,not being nasty at all, how many this

Some people learn step by step but others learn by getting the whole picture first and then studying the pieces.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/4/13 2:43pm
Msg #448889

I am with Desk on this

I'm trying to picture Steve Jobs posting on ANY professional forum: "Okay, I have a garage. What do I do next?"

Note that the OP identified himself/herself as a "new signing agent." Not someone who would like to become a signing agent. Not someone who is considering it as a career. He is already there, in his view; now he wants to know how he actually does what he claims to be.

I have said before, and I will repeat: This is a site for professionals, not a training site. Note at the very top it says, "Serving PROFESSIONAL notaries public nationwide." NotRot would lose almost all of its allure for me if it became a site where people come to learn how to use the stamp they got yesterday. They may be war heroes. They may be saints who weekly cure lepers. They may have walked across the Grand Canyon on a tightrope. They may actually have learned to like pickled beets. Unless they are <professional> notaries, they have naught to offer me on this site, and I am not in the business of training them.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/4/13 3:38pm
Msg #448899

Hear! Hear! n/m

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/4/13 4:45pm
Msg #448916

"I have a garage"...best line yet. Thanks, Hugh, for a ROFL n/m

Reply by La Trese Breaux on 1/4/13 4:44pm
Msg #448914

wow was that really necessary, When you first started and had question did someone shot you down like that. People have to deal will all kind of crazyness in this world, they should not have to come here and read smart unnecessary comments IJS.

Reply by desktopfull on 1/4/13 5:18pm
Msg #448923

Actually when I started there weren't any websites to go to

with questions. I was just being honest.

Reply by Treasure Valley Notary - Tina on 1/4/13 5:31pm
Msg #448930

I run a large women's network and it amazes me how many people start businesses and have NO idea of what they are doing (see it all the time with MLM companies). It doesn't matter the profession, it is super common. The comment wasn't mean, it was just the plain truth. We see it on this board over and over again, almost daily. "Hi, I'm new. I'm a signing agent, but I have no idea what to do." The words change, but the meaning is the same. I am "in business", but I haven't done my homework.

I personally, as well as many others here, did do my homework before we chose this as a profession. Trying to figure out the puzzle pieces as you go, is like looking at a picture of what the puzzle is to be, but as you put it together you realize you were working from the wrong puzzle lid. Instead of a fluffy puppy, it is a raging river. It is time for people to take responsibility of what they are doing and why they are doing it. IF you want to run a business, then you had better have the basics figured out when you get to that point. If you ask basic questions, that a search could answer for you, then you better have a strong enough backbone to hear the truth.

People want to be handheld, the touchy feely response, but when it comes down to it McDonald's isn't asking Jack In The Box how to cook a hamburger. People need to take Business 101 classes just as was suggested. Hire a mentor (it should be the best $$$ you spend). And keeping a day job until they figure it out is the best advise that can be given. MOST companies (which is what each of us are) go out of business in their first year. A huge amount don't even last until the 3rd year. And those that do, are gone by the 5th year. Facts are facts. Running a business is expensive and takes knowledge. Some is earned through an education, most of it is by hard knocks. But the basics can't be through the hard knocks if you plan on making it in the long run. I'm in my 9th year. I know what I am doing. As well do many of the season posters here do.

We have become a nation of softies. People are constantly looking for a hand out. I don't mind giving a hand up, but that would mean the posters are asking different questions. Not "what do I do now? I have my commission. I am certified by the NNA, but I need to figure out marketing . . . " You get the drift. They say they are a business owner, then it is time for them to act like it. The resources are there. I would suggest for each of these new LSAs to take a step back and start with the Small Business Association. Great resources!

Well, I've got a signing to take care of, so I'm off my soapbox. Wishing everyone a successful 2013!

Reply by CarolF/NC on 1/4/13 12:29pm
Msg #448849

You don't say what your background is, but if you are brand new to the field, print a list of the signing companies from this site. I suggest you start with 3 star and some 4 star companies. You need to get your feet wet and most 4 and 5 star companies will want at least a year or more of experience and references which you will not have if you are just starting. From the signing list you can google them and find website info. Email or call them for a Signing Agent Application package. I suggest you start working with just a few companies and learn the business slowly. You don't want mistakes. If you have not done so, take a Signing Agent training class from this or another company. And read this board every day to learn the business and use the SEARCH button for information on newbies and how to get your business going. And if you have another job, you may want to keep it for awhile. Depending on your area and the need it may take awhile to grow your business.

Reply by MMaha on 1/4/13 1:25pm
Msg #448863

Re: Thanks carol!!

Thanks Carol for your reply. I am brand new in this field. I was exactly looking for this information. I am in bay area, California. I will write or call companies with 3 star ratings. I will Google them and ask for signing agent package. I already took Signing agent class from NNA. I really appreciate your reply.

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/4/13 1:58pm
Msg #448868

Also...and do this FIRST

See the ORANGE SEARCH BUTTON at the top? Click it and type in Msg. # 33325 and read it 'til your eyes bleed and do that before you start trying to sign up with companies because if you're as new as you seem, you'll make a lot of big bad mistakes unless you read 33325 first. It is the best education you will ever receive from anywhere. Yes, some of the older threads are out of date, but it will give you an insight into this ever-changing business that isn't available anywhere except NR. Good luck!

Reply by CarolF/NC on 1/4/13 2:06pm
Msg #448872

Re: Thanks carol!!

test

Reply by jojo_MN on 1/4/13 1:24pm
Msg #448862

Carol had many very good suggestions. At the top of this page there is a blue tab that says "Notary Public 101". Click on it and follow directions. That is a suggestion. Also, the other comments made were not meant to be hurtful; however, your question is asked all of the time. After reading thru posts you will understand why this attitude exists. In fact, when you posted, there was a message that stated if you are asking any of these questions, search first before posting. That is one of the questions asked.

Many of us started our businesses from scratch without any help from anyone (such as myself). This forum is the very best in the profession for helping other notaries. Most of us are willing to help those that do the research first, then ask questions.

I wish you the very best in your career! Welcome.

Reply by CentralNY on 1/4/13 2:04pm
Msg #448870

I have to chime in

i did this work in law firms long before i went out on my own. to be honest i can't even imagine getting a notary license and taking a loan signing class and heading out to do this, especially in this market. i started doing it nights and weekends after doing a full time job and then eventually went full time. i marketed for months and months before good $ came in. i really don't want to burst your bubble but it just seems so unrealistic to break in right now and to add kind of a pollyanna attitude to come here and ask how. ok, don't shoot the messenger, just my real life of hard knocks opinion.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 1/4/13 9:48pm
Msg #448983

Re: I have to chime in

" to be honest i can't even imagine getting a notary license"

Be advised that only in NY is it sometimes referred to as a "license" - everyone else calls it a commission. You may be getting some comments about this Smile

Reply by Frank/NC on 1/4/13 6:41pm
Msg #448947

Prior to starting your business one of the most important parts is doing the research to see where business comes from, who to solicit and approximate prices to charge so that it ends up being profitable. I agree with Hugh that this is a professional site and that if you haven't thoroughly researched all aspects of the business, you are putting the cart in front of the horse. This isn't an easy business to get into and not easy to maintain. It may have the allure that it is and if you read the propaganda put out by the NNA as well as some others, it may seem easy to make money. Those of us who are in this business for any length of time have gone to great length to not only acquire our customers but aloso to keep them. I don't think anyone here is ready to give up their customer base to anyone or be a mentor to someone who will be their competition. Just getting your notary stamp and stating you are a new signing agent is only the first step of many in a very competitive business. You also should have a business plan as well as the knowledge of who and how to solicit. There an awful lot of new people in this business right now and it's a long road to make enough money to be profitable. If you have to ask who to contact to make your business successful, I suggest that you continue to research on your own in that no one including the do gooders here who coddle you will give up an awful lot of information.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 1/4/13 7:57pm
Msg #448956

MMaha check your PERSONAL n/m

Reply by Buddy Young on 1/4/13 10:47pm
Msg #448993

When you read message 33325 make sure and read all the replies to that message.

Reply by Kate Vizzard on 1/5/13 12:08am
Msg #449001

Wondering the same thing, I'm also training to become a signing agent.

Reply by linda/ca on 1/12/13 6:59pm
Msg #450135

LOL! You are just being funny; right Kate? n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.