Notary Rotary
Not another flu thread
Notary Discussion History

Not another flu thread
Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by ToniK on 1/15/13 4:49pm
Msg #450580

Not another flu thread

*knock on wood* that I didnt come down with the Flu but I did get acute viral bronchitis. Doc says most ppl think they got the flu but its not. However, he said if I did contract the flu all he would do was give me a hug and tell me drink alot of water with added electrolytes and rest. Being that Im young, he said my immune system is robust and can handle it. So this week no contact with anyone he said. Gave me a letter stating no work till after the 18th. Glad Its a slow week for me. But he did give me some cough syrup with codeine and prescribed the abovementioned solution.

I guess thats what I get from running my lips about being in tip top shape....lol Even juicing, eating healthy and working out couldnt avoid this however it helped in shortening the duration of my illness. Just upset that it's taking a week away from my workout regimen.

Oh and my doc has alot of jokes about what I looked when I came in. At least he saw the light at the end of the tunnel. lol

Reply by emilysigns on 1/15/13 4:51pm
Msg #450581

I bet doctors never complain about their spouses letting themselves go....after a day at the office, their better half probably looks like a supermodel. Smile

Feel better Toni!

Reply by Linda Juenger on 1/15/13 4:52pm
Msg #450582

That is what my sister has also. Not the flu. I think a lot of people think it is the flu though cause the media hypes it up so much. Hope you feel better soon.

Reply by ToniK on 1/15/13 5:04pm
Msg #450585

Thanks ladies

Thats what the doc said. He said they have been double and triple booking with sick folks and none of them have the flu. He said mostly its what I have or pneumonia.

lol Emily he said I looked good for someone who claims to have the flu. I told him he should have seen me when my temp was 102. But of course I couldnt get an appt and the nurse said take some tylenol to combat the fever till I get into the doc office. Man its been a horrible 48 hours. Had to drop out of my college courses so now I wont be graduating this spring. Ill have to wait till summer to finish out my classes (Ill get my degree this year in mail) and then decide if I want to walk the stage next may. booooo

Was really hoping to be done with my degree requirements by march 2013.

Reply by PegiT_MN on 1/15/13 5:42pm
Msg #450588

Y I K E S ! ! ! It sure sounds like influenza to me Toni. The only way your doctor is going to know for sure though is if he does a nasal swab and sends it out for testing. His diagnosis of "viral bronchitis" is one of the many many symptoms of the two strains of influenza affecting the entire country.

I could say something smart ass like "I bet you wish you would have stayed home until after the media hype was over" like you told me when I caught this crap, but I won't do that.

I will just say drink lots of water.....lots of orange juice......and get lots of rest. I started drinking Ensure and taking vitamins to try and get my strength back. It affects everyone differently. It depends on the strain you caught, and how serious you have it. I am on day 21 with this and still a bit weak and wobbly, but starting to feel a bit stronger each day. I still have the dry hacky cough though.

Take good care of yourself Toni and I hope you start feeling better soon.

Reply by ToniK on 1/15/13 7:34pm
Msg #450607

lol hey if I can dish it, I can take it. But I get what you are saying. But only thing I'll do is sit back and stock up on guns for the impeding zombie apocalypse. Smile

Reply by MW/VA on 1/15/13 7:17pm
Msg #450603

Yes, Toni, that's what I had. It wasn't the flu, because

I was tested for that. I had antiobiotics, but knew they weren't going to do much good because I believed this was viral. I'm just starting to feel "normal" again after 3 weeks. BTW, I'm not as fortunate as you--not young, have auto-immune issues, etc. With this one it doesn't seem to matter. I know many who've been hospitalized with pneumonia with this, too.
This was the first day that I didn't have a lot of coughing. Take care & be prepared for this to run it's course.

Reply by ToniK on 1/15/13 7:32pm
Msg #450606

Re: Yes, Toni, that's what I had. It wasn't the flu, because

Today is the first day Im feeling able to get out the bed for more than 10 mins. Ive been up and about all day. Doc gave me some cough syrup with codeine and it killed my coughing. hadnt had a cough since 4pm when I took it. He said I should be back at 100% by friday. monday the latest. I hope so cuz this is not how I view a week long vacation. lol

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 1/15/13 9:14pm
Msg #450623

Re: Yes, Toni, that's what I had. It wasn't the flu, because

In reference to drinking lots of orange juice, too much of it makes me sick. My father was the same way. I know of no allergen in it but it feels like an allergy. I take lots of Vitamin C to try to avoid all sorts of things.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 1/16/13 9:07am
Msg #450654

Earlier this month I had the "3-day thing" and didn't even bother taking my temp because I knew it was high (over 101) and it took exactly 3 days for fever to break; and I had the same thing last January! For me, I just call it a BAD COLD because my body is all too familiar . . .

Lots of C (have to keep in system, won't stay) and ZINC. Have you tried the EmergenC packets?

Reply by MistarellaFL on 1/16/13 9:22am
Msg #450655

EmergenC packets

Those lil packets are just the best.
1-3 per day during illness, along with homemade chicken noodle or rice soup (with plenty of garlic) is my all-time cure for what ills me.

I try to take plenty of Vit C when I am well...but alas the EmergenC packets are only used by me at the first sign and for the duration of an illness.
Their cost makes them restrictive on a daily basis.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.