Notary Rotary
Query for signing services & TCs monitoring this forum
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 1/21/13 7:23pm
Msg #451449

The very first paragraph in my profile lists the areas that I serve.

What is the information that <you> want to extract first from a profile? I suspect that if you are looking for a signing agent, you're probably not going to read a full page of profile, so what would you prefer listed in the opening two paragraphs?

Reply by 101livescan on 1/21/13 7:39pm
Msg #451453

What a great question to pose to our audience, Hugh! I often wonder what good some profiles are as a vendor starts looking for a great NSA, other than someone who happens to answer their phone!

In college, one of my professors said that you should never tell the reader you are honest, have integrity and are professional because that goes without saying...since you are an approved notary with BGC.

I can't wait to read the results evoked from your post!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/21/13 7:42pm
Msg #451454

I agree with Cheryl...great question!! n/m

Reply by CJ on 1/21/13 8:03pm
Msg #451459

Hmmm . . . That's a puzzler.

If you are not supposed to say that you are honest, have integrity and are professional, what are you supposed to say? That you are good-looking, drive a nice car, and make great guacamole?

I remember when I was much younger and I was trying to get a minimum wage retail job. A friend, who was a retail manager told me to say on the interview, "I show up on time, I don't steal, and I don't call in sick on the weekends". He said he can't find people like that. So I said it, and I got the job. And I showed up on time, I didn't steal, and I didn't call in sick on weekends.

I also look forward to what is recommended to post on our profiles. Smile

Reply by 101livescan on 1/22/13 8:45am
Msg #451503

Re: Hmmm . . . That's a puzzler.

You're funny. BTW, I am well known and applauded for my guacamole, called KILLER guacamole. And of course, TCs won't be hiring us because we make great guacamole, but you get the idea! Catching speeding bullets in our teeth, leaping tall buildings, wrestling with borrowers to sign the way their names appear on documents, completing the NRTC correctly, etc.

COMPETENCY, RELIABILITY, QUALITY SERVICE, stuff like that.

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 1/21/13 8:18pm
Msg #451464

I also am curious about this. Though I have not been here as long as others, I am not aware whether or not a SS or TC has found me via this site. I've had a few mention they've found me from the numbers site, but my primary interest in joining here was the community and the education to be gained. (If it's worth it, I fork over the dollars. This place is most definitely worth it.)

I would hope to have SS or TC find me via NotRot simply because of the professionalism associated with this site.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/22/13 7:04am
Msg #451491

Re: Your profile

What does it mean to "authorize" a mortgage?

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 1/22/13 1:06pm
Msg #451522

This is more for situations where I am drafting the documents myself between two private parties. Lenders, Title Companies, etc are not involved between the two constituents. In such a situation, usually dealing with a credit sale or where partial payment for property has been received by the seller. It is my job to authorize that the transaction has occurred between debtor and debtee. As such, I'm responsible for giving the act "teeth" so to speak. I'll draw up the promissory note, including terms and interest, and make the appropriate paraph per statute. From there it's my job to record the instrument to make sure third parties are put on notice that there is a mortgage affecting the property. When it comes time, after the debt has been extinguished, I will cancel the note and record the cancellation.

It's a similar term to 'authenticate' with the exception that I am the one responsible for authorizing the mortgage between the two parties (usually they know each other fairly well). You don't see very many of them, but I have done a couple for rural plots of land where I also had to supply an updated/revised property description after reviewing the plat and realizing it was incorrectly recorded with the clerk from a previous sale. I'm only guessing here because I don't know how other state notaries operate, but do you all have anything like that in your states?

Reply by MikeC/TX on 1/23/13 12:32am
Msg #451619

He can do stuff like this - he's a Louisiana notary, the law is different there. I'm actually jealous...

Reply by emilysigns on 1/22/13 9:05pm
Msg #451595

With all the late docs these days, I feel like I should mention that I can practically double as a stunt driver and have Fastrack.
Lol!

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 1/22/13 9:47pm
Msg #451605

Loan docs in a car should be grounds for access to the HOV lanes. Some of them weigh enough to be a small sumo child.

Reply by Pat/IL on 1/22/13 10:46pm
Msg #451612

Malbrough, no state does it like Louisiana does.

Reply by linda/ca on 1/21/13 9:15pm
Msg #451470

I agree that the question is a good one and caused me to check my profile. What I have listed first is my phone number so I feel I am good to go! That way they don't have to weed through all my boasting.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 1/21/13 9:29pm
Msg #451474

Now we are all going to put our phone number first:) n/m

Reply by linda/ca on 1/21/13 9:36pm
Msg #451475

Re: Now we are all going to put our phone number first:)

Darn! And I'm the one always preaching about not helping your competition! LOL

Reply by CarolF/NC on 1/21/13 10:18pm
Msg #451477

:) n/m

Reply by ToniK on 1/22/13 7:42am
Msg #451495

Dont worry I wont be doing that

I dont want some marketing robo calls getting my number and bombarding me with stupid text messages and phone calls. I get enough of that already.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/21/13 10:13pm
Msg #451476

I also immediately checked my profile. One of the things that I decided upon when I was writing mine, was how much of what others wrote did I actually read?....very little. Too verbose for the most part. Too much sifting and weeding through to find out where and how long.

If I am hiring someone, will I read that much? No....just skimming for the important stuff.

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/22/13 6:55am
Msg #451490

The first line of your profile: "take" should be "takes".

Reply by MikeC/TX on 1/21/13 11:11pm
Msg #451480

I think the first (and possibly only) thing they want to know is if you cover the area where they have an assignment. The rest of it is marketing fluff, and the overly creative use of fonts and colors is probably not helpful.

They have an assignment, they need a notary. They're not going to read through a profile and then debate with a management team to figure out whether or not you'll fit the bill. If you're in the area, you fit the bill (whether they're willing to pay your fee is another discussion).

So, I would say you lead with where you are and what areas you serve. What you say after that probably doesn't matter, and the chances are they won't read it anyway. Save the flowery descriptions for the marketing material you send to them; they may actually read that stuff...

Reply by HisHughness on 1/21/13 11:25pm
Msg #451481

Yeah, that was my judgment, too, Mike, except for the presentation comments. I think a professional appearance is important in any marketing item, and the profile is certainly about marketing.

I got to thinking, though: The way a prospective client gets to my profile is by searching a city, ZIP Code or county. They ALREADY know I cover the area that they are interested in, so I think leading with your coverage area -- which is what I do now -- may not be the wisest choice. The next most important thing, I figure, must be my fees, and I'm not going to publicly post those. All my phone numbers, as is the case with everybody, are listed just below my profile, and it doesn't make much sense to me to replicate them in the profile itself.

But those are just suppositions on my part. I'd like to know what the SS and TCs say they look for.

Reply by 101livescan on 1/22/13 7:58am
Msg #451499

One thing for sure, typos and grammatical errors are a sign of worse to come. I can't believe people put so little effort and craft into their profiles on this board. Some have no profile.

Some don't link to their profile, some are I/me, I/me, I/me...boring!

I've seen a couple of profiles on this board that are so pitiful, I wonder if they get any calls at all.

If an NSA wants to stand out in their field, they need to be the only one in it, if you get my drift!

Just my 2cents.

Reply by HSH/WA on 1/21/13 11:37pm
Msg #451483

Re: Price and experience are what they need to know

up front even if you say $1XX with X thousand signings. I still think it's good to list the areas you work in.

Reply by ToniK on 1/22/13 7:47am
Msg #451496

Not sure we'll get a response.

However my profile is based on SEO marketing. I got alot of keywords for my profile to be picked up by google search and my mail goal is to be on the first page of google for anyone searching for a notary in my area.

Reply by ToniK on 1/22/13 7:47am
Msg #451497

*main

Reply by 101livescan on 1/22/13 8:10am
Msg #451500

Although I wrote my own profile, I asked a couple of people on this board for whom I have a deep respect to review it. They made recommendations. I followed their recommendations, hence it is not all my own. But I own it!

The profile on this board is so essential, I feel that it is worth having other sets of eyes critique and polish. It is very difficult to be discerning of your own profile, have someone else look at it and give you their insight. It can be invaluable.

Most profiles I read are pretty good, but hey, everything can be improved! Your profile says much about how you perform your work, your personality, demeanor, your dedication to your NSA career. A photograph, rather than graphics, says you aren't afraid for them to know what your appearance is.

Of course, for many it is not a career, merely chump change, a little extra spending $$, but if you're in this for the long hall, a well honed, crafted profile is essential for $ucce$$. Thank you, Hugh, for making this OP. I am not sure how many TCs will respond. My own insight, since I spend so much time in title offices is that these schedulers are looking for someone who is articulate, reliable, competent, makes a professional appearance and will get the job done right the first time, and they all have their list of "approved notaries" with excellent track records for meeting/accomplishing these demands.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/22/13 9:33am
Msg #451506

Spelling is crucial - no doubt. Thank heavens you don't have hall instead of haul in yours. Or do you? It is too long for my taste. JMHO

Reply by 101livescan on 1/22/13 12:48pm
Msg #451519

HAUL butt! I meant~!

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/22/13 8:20am
Msg #451501

What about the term "signing service" in a profile?

I have noticed a lot of that lately. Certainly nothing wrong with that, but it seems out of place. On the other hand, it is a good marketing ploy.

Reply by CJ on 1/22/13 10:41am
Msg #451508

Type it up on Word first . . .

Type it up on Word first, so that you can totally proofread it, then cut and paste it to the profile. If you make any mistakes on those few sentences, they are going to know you are not a detail person.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/22/13 2:27pm
Msg #451538

We're still groping in the dark

Not a single title company or signing service has responded in this thread.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/22/13 2:38pm
Msg #451541

Re: We're still groping in the dark

You may have posted this a little too close to EOM...

Reply by Bear900/CA on 1/22/13 5:30pm
Msg #451564

It's like telling an employee what to say on their resume?

In my case it's my only chance to say a little about myself. When they call me we only exchange about two sentences. It's Yes, or No, and then let's go! I get into high performance mode and that is where you really sell yourself.

I’ve hired too many employees at all levels. “Do you have common sense, can you get the job done, and what makes you think so?” was always something I threw in. It’s the reaction, not the answer that counted. Same is true here. In this case you have to state it first.

Not worried about competition. You want my job? Here….

Reply by Pat/IL on 1/22/13 7:02pm
Msg #451575

I may not be the person you're looking for to respond as a hiring party, as my hiring is limited to the occasional Illinois notary signing agents outside of our primary service area, which consists of a few counties. However, I do work for a title agent, and occasionally go on the search for a notary to get a signing done in other parts of the state.

First and foremost, I look for level of experience. If I open a profile and see no mention of it, I go on to the next prospect. I want to know that I'm dealing with somebody who understands what they're looking at in the documents, and knows where to find the answers to questions the borrowers are most likely to ask. If the answers are not in the documentation, I want to know that the NSA has a good sense as to whom to contact.

I will take some time on the phone with the NSA to get most of the information I want to know, so the profile does not need to be lengthy. Ability to print docs quickly, and even on the run is a definite advantage for a profile, as well as any other technology that may save a trip, or time waiting at the table (exact make and model not necessary).

This may not be typical to most hiring parties, I work for a local shop, using mostly notaries who are well known to us. But, for anyone who cares to hire the best prospect available, it should count for the most.

One thing I'll add, although the question wasn't asked, is that the manner in which you answer your phone matters. More often than not, the first word I hear when I call is "hello?". Figuring I am calling a business, and not a hobbyist, I first wonder if I've interrupted one's dinner or something. My second thought is that this person doesn't get many phone calls from people who want to do business with them, and I wonder if I've mad a mistake in calling them.

Hope it helps, if even only a little.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.