Notary Rotary
Recording Deeds
Notary Discussion History

Recording Deeds
Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by Ron/Tx on 1/3/13 12:32pm
Msg #448665

Recording Deeds

After Notarizing for 14 yrs. I finally got a call to record a deed. I had never thought to register deeds. They offered $40, I settled for $50. Is that about right?

Ron

Reply by Sandra Clark on 1/3/13 12:39pm
Msg #448667

I record some that I had done the closings for and the $50. is fine with me. Courthouse only 8 miles from me and takes a relatively short time. Larger cities will be different - will take more time due to their being busy. Make sure you get the funds needed to record before you go - do not advance recording fees. Hope this helps

Reply by Ron/Tx on 1/3/13 12:43pm
Msg #448672

Yes, thanks. I don't want to price my self out but do not want to be too low either.

Reply by SharonMN on 1/3/13 2:55pm
Msg #448699

You can always call a legal courier in your area to see what they charge, keeping in mind that they likely go to the courthouse every time anyway so are probably not making a special trip.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 1/3/13 5:21pm
Msg #448718

Hopefully they are paying the recording fee.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 1/3/13 9:00pm
Msg #448758

I usually charge $ 50.00 and the hiring company is more than happy to pay that..Its no big deal..but I am in a rural area so its a little easier.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 1/3/13 11:03pm
Msg #448777

I charge more than that. Parking @ Courthouse is $12

If I rode the bus in to downtown, or had more than one to record in a day, it would be an entirely different conversation. I've been called twice to record. Happy to do it, but I have to charge a bundle to cover the courthouse parking. In one case, I know someone had dropped the ball on recording, and they needed to be able to show a certified copy of the recorded deed ASAP. Because I was the original notary, the county would allow me to walk in, record, and pay for a certified copy and walk out with the copy of the recorded deed all at once (apparently they only let you do this if you are the signer or the notary in my county). There was standby time, so not knowing what to charge, I told my client I'd charge $30 for the trip/parking and then an hourly rate. I can't recall what it worked out to be.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.