Notary Rotary
The Name Game: UPDATE
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by emilysigns on 1/7/13 10:06am
Msg #449298

The TC thanked me for the detailed information, said they could not move forward with that scenario and would advise the lender to correct/redraw.

Just wanted y'all to know the ending after so much debate.

I do really appreciate all the feedback.

~Em

Reply by HisHughness on 1/7/13 10:28am
Msg #449302

Wait just a darned minute, Emily

The title company never talked to me, so how could they make any kind of decision?

Reply by emilysigns on 1/7/13 10:38am
Msg #449304

Re: Wait just a darned minute, Emily

Ah, Hugh. You're not the only loquacious person on this board anymore. I can go on for DAYS. My professors HATE grading my papers. I am the only one in my class that gets deducted points for EXCEEDING word count.

Smile

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/7/13 10:44am
Msg #449307

Thanks, Emily.

It's great to have these debates and to share solutions across the board.

I learn something new from every thread.

While the thread and debate seemed to get one or two posters upset, I don't think that it is wrong to discuss and re-discuss and to differ in opinions. The day that we do that is the day that things will get really old and dusty here.

Reply by 101livescan on 1/7/13 10:50am
Msg #449309

Re: Thanks, Emily.

Love hair splitting and controversy. wouldn't it be boring if we all thought the very same way on certain issues here?

Reply by emilysigns on 1/7/13 10:50am
Msg #449310

Re: Thanks, Emily.

I think the one circumstance in this particular scenario that many posters missed was that the lender provided explicit instructions not to make any corrections or modifications whatsoever and everything was pre-filled.

I was unable to contact anyone during the signing, so I didn't have anything other than those instructions to go by.

If this had been a different lender, I would have attempted a correction and hoped for the best.

Reply by emilysigns on 1/7/13 11:38am
Msg #449317

I just got the new confirmation on the corrected docs!

I can't wait to see what the correction is! Smile Seriously, I might be too excited about this. haha

Reply by emilysigns on 1/7/13 12:38pm
Msg #449325

Drumroll, please.......

Lender opted for GD to change title to reflect maiden name (name on ID) so that everything would be uniform.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/7/13 12:43pm
Msg #449328

Okay..so who (and how) do you notarize? Who signs the GD?

Yeah, I know - nit-pickety.. Smile

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/7/13 12:44pm
Msg #449329

Nevermind- just re-read....time for a nap.. :) n/m

Reply by Blueink_TN on 1/7/13 10:17pm
Msg #449388

Re: Nevermind- just re-read....time for a nap.. :)

I must need a nap also Linda. The Grantor (maiden-married name who cannot be ID'd) needs to have their signature notarized. Wasn't this the problem in the first place?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/8/13 7:36am
Msg #449401

Okay..maybe I DID read it right in the first place..

So, again, who signs the grant deed?

IMO this would be more easily (and correctly for the notary) solved by using an a/k/a with the ID'd person in the notary cert. Will make for a longer signing but....

JMO <and needing more coffee.. Smile >

Reply by VT_Syrup on 1/8/13 8:09am
Msg #449403

Re: Okay..maybe I DID read it right in the first place..

I think it would depend on the state. In some states, I understand it is ok to write, in the deed, "Mary Smith, who took title as Mary Smith-Jones..." and sign it Mary Smith, the notary notarizes Mary Smith, no problem. In my state there is a special change of name form for property which can be signed with the new name and filed in the real estate records.

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/7/13 4:33pm
Msg #449361

Glad it worked out. I would have done what you did. Kudos!!!

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/7/13 5:37pm
Msg #449371

P.S.

Loved all of your responses in the other thread, agreed with them and particularly agreed with and appreciated Goldgirl's brilliant post - msg. #449238

Reply by emilysigns on 1/9/13 8:49am
Msg #449568

Re: P.S.

To Clarify-

Mrs. BO ID stated Mary Jones.

Docs stated Mary Jones-Smith, for which she had no ID.

a Grant deed was provided to change name on title from Mary Jones-Smith to Mary Jones (which matches ID.)

Docs were redrawn to show Mary Jones (which matches title after GD and ID)

So Mary Jones signed and Mary Jones was acknowledged.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.