The most oddest request
Notary Discussion History

The most oddest request
Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by ToniK on 1/16/13 12:26pm
Msg #450677

The most oddest request

From an email I received:

I am looking for a notary to travel around with me in the A* area on Saturday to about
6 or 7 homes. I need limited power of attorney forms notarized. I am a financial advisor and these
forms are from Charles Schwab.

This is a strange request. What questions should I ask this guy? This sounds like it could be some type of scam.

Reply by sueharke on 1/16/13 12:41pm
Msg #450679

He may have home bound customers who cannot leave home. I have worked with several financial advisors from Edward Jones and this is not uncommon (both as a notary and CPA). Therefore, the questions I ask the signer:

1. What is the purpose of the document you are signing? Obvious reason is does the client know why he or she is signing the document - competence.
2. May I see your ID (as has been discussed many times in this forum).

Also, make sure the financial advisor has checked the ID of any potential signer before you leave your home to avoid the issue we have all seen on no ID/invalid ID issues. If witnesses are needed, make sure that is arranged in advanced by the advisor or the family of the signer.

My husband use to manage his own account. Now, he has an Edward Jones advisor because of the choices he was making/not making. He still makes the final decision on buy/sell, but the time came that he needed help to take care of record keeping and misplacing key records that I needed. This may be the reason for this request for your services.

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/16/13 12:46pm
Msg #450681

Never done it, but agree on the 'housebound' signers/ID issue warning by above poster. What hits me is this could be VERY time-consuming. Doubt that it'll be an in/out situation as the advisor will undoubtedly do a bit (or a LOT) of schmoozing. I'd want a GOOD hourly fee + notarizations...and the advisor is doing the driving, right?

Reply by Priscilla Witman on 1/16/13 12:42pm
Msg #450680

My first question would probably be, do these 6 or 7 people know you're coming, and that they are going to be asked to sign a limited POA???

Maybe it's just me, but red flags would go up if I got a request like that via email, with the vague infromation that was provided.

Reply by anotaryinva on 1/16/13 2:40pm
Msg #450696

That is strange.

I think I'd ask him how long he thinks it will take, is he making his first 'in person' appearance with these customers? I'd hate to go through all the introductions, handshakes, how are the kids and dog, etc conversation...you could potentially be in for a long day. I doubt it will be a 5 minute stop.

What does he want to pay, I think I'd charge an hourly rate probably $50 and I'd drive my own car. No way would I get in a strangers car.

It's strange, maybe ask him for the list of people, their phone #'s and addresses so you can see how far and wide the area is.

That's all I can think of right now, off to print and sign!

Reply by ToniK on 1/16/13 3:50pm
Msg #450704

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

He said all in my local town but my town is about 20-30 min drive from each part. He said only about 3-4 hours. So I quoted him $90 per hr for the 4 hour timeblock. Of course anything over 4 hours will be charged additional. He is perfectly fine with my quote and will contact me once he sets up his clients appt. Oh and Im driving my own car. Only time Im a passenger in a car is when my husband is driving. lol

Reply by anotaryinva on 1/16/13 6:57pm
Msg #450722

Good, sounds like you've got it control

Reply by MW/VA on 1/16/13 9:45pm
Msg #450749

I agree. I don't see any reason to suspect this isn't

legit. $90/hr. is a nice fee for several hrs. of work. ;-)

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 1/16/13 6:08pm
Msg #450719

Not all that odd

I've had two different clients I've done this for. Merrill Lynch for POA and financial docs (we only did 2 clients in an afternoon and the appointments were prearranged by Merrill Lynch... 5 to 6 sounds like the financial advisor is going to be pushing it) and the other was with an attorney. The attorney represented a large wireless company and they wanted to put mini cell towers on top of polls that ran through several neighborhoods (the polls belonged to SDG&E which had an easement going through the back yards in the neighborhood) in order to improve cell reception. We met with 5 of 6 homeowners, very quick notarizations. She did call ahead, but not everyone was home. She sent be back out alone the following week to meet with the last homeowner.

The thing I love most about general notary work is the variety.

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/16/13 8:27pm
Msg #450739

Agree with the other responses and I would ask for the addresses ahead of time so my family has my itinerary long before the appts. I'd go the the guy's office and meet him before Saturday and definitely discuss the ID issue (to comply with your state's notary laws) ahead of time. Nothing worse than wasting time going to each signer and it's a no-go because the signer's lack required ID.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.