Notary Rotary
Typically slow in January??
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by COpink on 1/10/13 1:27pm
Msg #449793

I've only been a notary for 2 months and I was crazy busy in December. Now, I don't even have 10 on the books for January. Is it typically a slower month? Does it tend to pick back up in February? I signed up for a lot of companies and still continuing to do so. This is my sole income so I'm a little worried!

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/10/13 1:30pm
Msg #449795

Everything is different. We always advise newbys not to quit their day job until they are really settled in this business. It's also best not to put all your eggs in one basket. Many seasoned notaries that I know are doing more than one thing to earn a living.

Reply by COpink on 1/10/13 1:36pm
Msg #449800

My dad is an established notary and so many of his clients call me to do work for them. It has been working out so far. I didn't have a day job which is why this is my sole income! I also have 2 other businesses but they do not fare as well as this does. Thinking about starting up a 4th business!

Reply by emilysigns on 1/10/13 1:32pm
Msg #449796

I was begining to think I had been left for dead the first week of January. I had nothing at all, but then this week I'm up to my eyeballs.

Hang in there. Maybe send out some "thank you for your business" cards to the people you received work from last month to remind them how professional and gracious you are?

Reply by COpink on 1/10/13 1:37pm
Msg #449801

My phone has been crazy quiet. I feel like I've been left for dead! I like the card idea! Thanks!

Reply by emilysigns on 1/10/13 1:46pm
Msg #449802

yep-when it gets slow everyone calls in to ask for work-or even worse, complain that they aren't getting work.

Very few, if any, thank them for the work they have already gotten. You would be surprised how much those two little words can get you. *wink*

Reply by MW/VA on 1/10/13 3:28pm
Msg #449830

I think it's about weather & sickness. It's usually a

little slower early in Jan., but there are a lot of loans in the pipeline.

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/10/13 3:42pm
Msg #449835

There is no *typical* busyness or slowness

Whether one is busy or slow depends on many factors....MANY factors. It *may* depend on how many clients they have, what part of the country they're in, the territory they cover, when and how much marketing they're doing, etc. As you mentioned, for you December was crazy busy, but you hear crickets in January. For a Notary in another part of the country, they heard crickets in December, now their January is crazy busy.

I do a ton of GNW (general notary work) and there's really no rhyme or reason to my busyness. Yesterday, I was so busy I didn't even have time to change out of my work uniform and into regular clothes. I went straight from work to my first GNW appt (6 docs) then, while there, got a call to notarize 5 docs, went to that appt, then on to the hospital for the next appt (2 docs). Missed an earlier call to go to yet another hospital. Still had other errands, but was able to get everything at one store (thank goodness). Got home in the evening, ate and went to bed - it's all I had time for.

Many times, I hear crickets that week - nothing. So there is no standard or *typical* busy or slow time. While you're busy, a notary somewhere is having a slow week. When your week is slow, a notary somewhere is busy.

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 1/10/13 4:03pm
Msg #449836

Re: There is no *typical* busyness or slowness

My experience over the past 11 years is that in my area it is the quietest the second and the first week of the month. Use that time wisely to market. If you are not working at least 40 hours per week between signings and marketing it will take a long time to build your business. To this day, if I have a light schedule or nothing scheduled I use that time to market to new clients. If you only work at this business part time, all you will have is a part time business.

Reply by bagger on 1/10/13 7:47pm
Msg #449859

Newbies - This is the best advice ever given - Heed it n/m

Reply by COpink on 1/10/13 11:22pm
Msg #449888

Re: There is no *typical* busyness or slowness

I've been marketing like crazy today! What does everyone typically do when the company does not have a place to register online? Call or email them for a vendor package?

Reply by bagger on 1/10/13 7:58pm
Msg #449863

I am busier than a one armed paper hanger

in a windstorm

Reply by Shan/CA on 1/10/13 9:53pm
Msg #449877

Re: I am busier than a one armed paper hanger

Funny! My hubby always says that I am busier than a one legged man in an a$$ kicking contest! I'm going to share that with him!

Reply by CentralNY on 1/11/13 5:47am
Msg #449893

I am surprisingly busy, bring it on n/m

Reply by COpink on 1/11/13 9:57am
Msg #449923

Re: I am surprisingly busy, bring it on

I keep saying the words "I'm bored" hoping to bring on more business. Has worked the past few months lol
I've been marketing the past few days hoping to gain some new clients.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.