Notary Rotary
Virginia Electronic Notarization Assurance Standard
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by VT_Syrup on 1/25/13 8:37am
Msg #452083

The Virginia SOS has just issued the "Virginia Electronic Notarization Assurance Standard". I looked it over, and I don't think it really answers many of the questions that have come up about Virginia video-conference notarizations.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 1/25/13 8:37am
Msg #452084

Re: Virginia Electronic Notarization Assurance Standard: URL n/m

Reply by VT_Syrup on 1/25/13 8:38am
Msg #452086

Re: Virginia Electronic Notarization Assurance Standard: URL

Sorry, I forgot to give the URL:

http://www.commonwealth.virginia.gov/notary/VAe-NotarizationStandard2013Version1.0.pdf

Reply by FGX/NJ on 1/25/13 10:01am
Msg #452101

This section should put an end to SignNow using drivers licenses etc with Knowledge Based Authentication to do webcam notarizations using a Virginia Notary

3.3 Antecedent Identity Proofing Process 18
The electronic notary shall ONLY rely on an antecedent in-person proofing process that conforms 19 to the guidelines of the Federal Bridge Certification Authority

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/25/13 3:00pm
Msg #452205

*3.3 Antecedent Identity Proofing Process 18
The electronic notary shall ONLY rely on an antecedent in-person proofing process that conforms 19 to the guidelines of the Federal Bridge Certification Authority*

Yeah! Hope you are right, FGX! Thank you much.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 1/25/13 5:12pm
Msg #452237

At one point I found some documents from the Federal Bridge Certification Authority. They were long and hard to understand. The hardest aspect for me to understand was that they described what organizations in various roles were supposed to do, but there was no role for a notary, nor for anyone akin to a notary. If I discover that a single member of the Virginia legislature understand the FBCA requirements, someone will have to put some smelling salts under my nose.

Reply by ikando on 1/25/13 6:00pm
Msg #452246

And I had a guy contact me via email from the UK to notarize some documents using a webcam because the docs needed to be in Oklahoma. It's worldwide.

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/26/13 11:14am
Msg #452359

Virginia & E-Notaries - Interesting point

None of the members who post here have indicated that they have become ENotaries. The only online notaries that I am able to find are enterprise websites.

It must not be all that popular. I note that SN/NN is no longer 24/7. They are M-F morning until 11 pm.

Online video/webcam notarization is directed toward government paperwork, IMHO. Seems that there is significant additional expense and liability involved with being an online notary.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.