Notary Rotary
What do you do about signing mistakes when
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by CarolF/NC on 1/24/13 6:24pm
Msg #451949

you only have one copy and borrower does not have theirs? I have some signers who always sign a certain way and inevitably make a mistake on the document. Wondering if someone has a solution when the lender or tc absolutely will not accept a cross out. Truth be told I'm only human too and sometimes I've forgotten which county I'm in. So does anyone have a solution? Thanks in advance!

Reply by La Trese Breaux on 1/24/13 6:30pm
Msg #451951

question, the document that the mistake is made own is it a random document or is it the same document all the time?

Reply by MikeC/TX on 1/24/13 6:34pm
Msg #451952

Why do you only have one copy? Was this an overnight delivery and there's no second copy for the borrower?

In a case like that, you don't have any options - you have to work with what you have. If the lender or TC absolutely will not accept a cross-out, it may result in a re-draw. That's not necessarily on you if they are the ones who supplied the documents, because you didn't have a a backup copy.

OTOH, if you received the docs to print out, there's no reason not to have a second copy.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/24/13 6:48pm
Msg #451957

This happened to me tonight..

One copy (instructions to print only one copy - they will provide copies later).

Quit Claim Deed - told witness "sign on this line and please print your name underneath the line" - he signed on his line and printed his name on my signature line. No other copies to work with. So I drew another witness line and signed.

I don't like not having copies to fall back on. You can bet every time you don't you need them. And you're right Mike - I should have printed the second copy anyway...and for the very first time I didn't = and you can bet it will be the LAST time.

Reply by Kenny Services - Dawn on 1/25/13 5:23am
Msg #452062

Re: This happened to me tonight..

Even if instructed to only print one copy, i still print a backup, yeah it is a waste and i dont give to the borrower but i have piece of mind. It called covering my ass.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 1/24/13 6:39pm
Msg #451954

Random docs and I only have one copy as

I am paid to print one copy and the borrowers is shipped, but sometimes does not arrive in time for the signing or it was sent to their home and we are signing at office. Different variations, but I'm only printing one copy.

Reply by La Trese Breaux on 1/24/13 7:30pm
Msg #451963

Re: Random docs and I only have one copy as

wow thats a hard one to call.

Reply by Shan/CA on 1/24/13 9:13pm
Msg #451995

Re: Random docs and I only have one copy as

When you said sometimes you forget what county you are in, are you talking about your Acks and Jurats (if no stamp)? Carry extra forms!

Reply by Blueink_TN on 1/24/13 6:46pm
Msg #451956

Carry both legal and letter paper with you and print the document that you need from where ever you are. If there is no printer, it looks like a trip to Officemax or back home would be the only solution.

Reply by CJ on 1/24/13 8:37pm
Msg #451973

I ALWAYS print two copies.

This sounds like a Quicken loan. If it is, the packages are not TOO big, they pay me the same as other people, so why not just print the two copies like normal? I find that if I don't have a copy, (even if the lender PROMISED to mail it), the borrowers are going to be nervous and read more. OR, there will be a mistake, and I won't have a spare. Just print the copies anyway.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 1/24/13 8:40pm
Msg #451977

What do you do with the unused copy? n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/24/13 9:04pm
Msg #451987

Carol, I'll shred them. n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/24/13 8:50pm
Msg #451981

Believe me - I learned tonight..I will from now on..

could have kicked myself for not having it

Reply by CarolF/NC on 1/24/13 8:37pm
Msg #451974

Would an ink jet be acceptable in an emergency?

Most often you can find an ink jet but not a laser could you use an ink jet to print a new doc? Hate to incur expense to print entire second set and then I'd be responsible for shredding the unused pages.

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 1/24/13 9:19pm
Msg #451997

Re: Would an ink jet be acceptable in an emergency?

I'm no printer guru, but it has been recommended to me by a person that knows a bit more about these things to never use an inkjet since the ink isn't fused to the paper. It makes alterations easier to the ink or something to that effect whereas toner from a laser makes it more difficult.

Reply by desktopfull on 1/24/13 10:41pm
Msg #452038

I carry a Brother HL 2240 with me in the car with my laptop

and wireless internet modem, if I have a problem I just plug them in and print away. Never had a problem with borrower letting me use a power outlet in their home. The printer is about 13 x 13 x 7 and weighs less than my laptop.

Reply by Kenny Services - Dawn on 1/25/13 8:13am
Msg #452076

Re: I carry a Brother HL 2240 with me in the car with my laptop

One of the TC's I work with on an almost every day basis just approved me to offer the borrower a copy of the doc's via email or on CD, at the same rate I get now, so no reduced payment because of it. I have not done it yet but I am considering getting a brother printer to attach to my laptop just in case they change their mind or in the event of a mistake. I have asked several borrowers their preference and all select the CD if it were available.

Reply by AR_razormac on 1/25/13 12:51am
Msg #452058

I have always made a call to title or SS to report the foul. In all cases they advised what would be an acceptable remedy. I am not too shy to call. The biggest mistake was the BO signed the wrong lines on the deed. After a call to title and the BO allowed me to use thier computer to reprint the signature pages.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 1/25/13 8:05am
Msg #452073

Thanks razormac good to know n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/25/13 10:13am
Msg #452110

And after a few signings and with some experience under

your belt you'll realize this doesn't warrant a call to title. Troubleshooting and problem-solving on your feet becomes second nature....especially when it involves correcting signing errors at the table. - not talking about problems with the docs themselves, or the terms, or the numbers - signing errors...no one should need to call title to simply be told "just print another signature page"..

JMO

Reply by CarolF/NC on 1/25/13 8:37am
Msg #452085

Just verified with at least one TC that even if a critical

doc you can have borrower initial and/or use an ink jet and if they were to sign a totally incorrect way and name is not on Name Affidavit add it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.