Notary Rotary
What do you think of taking your portable printer
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by HSH/WA on 1/28/13 12:15pm
Msg #452685

into the BO's home to print out the docs on your own paper? This would be for those docs that come after you've left for a day of signings. Down load them at McDonalds then take it all to the BO's house to print and sign. You could pay for the whole thing in one signing.

Reply by ToniK on 1/28/13 12:21pm
Msg #452688

I personally wouldn't do not make it my business practice to print at

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/28/13 12:29pm
Msg #452690

I won't take my printer in to a borrower's home unless it's the most dire of circumstances. When I knock on that door, I want to have the documents printed and ready, presenting a professional image, even if it means I'm printing on the side of the road. If I'm late, I'm late... but I'd rather be late than look unprepared and disorganized.

But, that doesn't mean I'm not prepared for emergencies if something comes up in the middle of an appointment. I can always say, "Not a problem... I've got a printer (copier, computer...whatever) in my car." I've been called "Mary Poppins" on more than one occasion. I will still try to just print in the car if I can.

I believe that if we are going to be mobile professionals we should have a mobile office...to the best of our ability anyway. For example, I can't always haul all of my electronics in the hot summer months so I have to make adjustments.

BUt then... I'm also usually over prepared. I think this differs for each of us based on our location and such. I have to be prepared for overnight stays, breakdowns in the middle of the desert, etc., and maybe just staying alive for 72 hours if something happens. That doesn't mean I'm *always* prepared... but I aim for it.

Plus, the portable printer I have in my car isn't one I like to print large packages on anyway. I can and have... but it's more of a backup than anything so I have the ability to print anywhere I'm at. The one I have is a Brother HL2270DW. It's a great little printer, but certainly not my primary one. Printing entire loan packages on it takes more manual effort.

Reply by HSH/WA on 1/28/13 12:58pm
Msg #452696

Re: What made me ask this was an earlier post

about how hard it is to make a portable printer work in your car.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/28/13 1:03pm
Msg #452697

I know several notaries that are equipped with laptop/

printer to DO print at the borrower's home. I have decided not to carry a printer at this point. I'm not in a rural area, and can print at Fedex Office, etc. in a crunch. I don't make a habit of that either. This biz isn't a "one size fits all" & everyone has to organize according to their specific situation, IMO.

Reply by OR on 1/28/13 1:23pm
Msg #452702

Re: I have printed in the Borrowers home.

I also have printed in my car while driving. Nither are bad but a lot of hassle. However I have found that a call to the borrowers letting them know that docs are not ready to print is the best and easest and the least costly. If there is a "time" problem I let Title or SS know, they iorn it out on there end. Remember: by time the borrowers get to us they are used to having gliches to iorn out. Good luck

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.