Notary Rotary
What does TBE after the name stand for?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by CarolF/NC on 1/24/13 4:59pm
Msg #451934

sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have not seen it and search and google were not my friendSmile

Reply by signhere/ca on 1/24/13 5:51pm
Msg #451946

Most likely it means "To Be Edited". But you can always ask title or the loan officier.
Good luck :-)

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/24/13 6:25pm
Msg #451950

I've seen this before, too, and I've been told it could mean different things to different people, depending on the internal procedures of company.

It could mean, "To Be Evaluated" or "To Be Established" -- meaning that they're going with the name for now in that place, pending further evaluation, and may be relying on the AKA affidavit for support. I've seen this in cases where there was a newly married woman taking title in her married name but they were waiting on certified documentation verifying the marriage.

It may also be a means of "filling in the blanks" in order to get a document notarized and could mean "To Be Edited" -- meaning that the name may be changed or edited later, but needs to be signed and notarized, and this notation is there to indicate that edits will be made later on. Some notaries get uppity about that... but I don't see how. Our notarial certificates are dated, and if you write them properly, the name of the person appearing in front of you is the one whose signature is being notarized... so post-notarization edits shouldn't be a big deal as far as the notarizations is concerned. It may have other consequences, but none that would involve the notary, IMO.

In either case it likely indicates some future action.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 1/24/13 6:35pm
Msg #451953

Thank You both and for the detail Marian

I just started seeing it on attorney involved files after a womans name so what you say makes sense

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/24/13 7:25pm
Msg #451962

Re: Thank You both and for the detail Marian

Sure... BTW... let me clarify when I said that they were relying on the AKA affidavit for support, I didn't mean *I* was relying on it for notarization purposes. I can think of one instance, specifically when I saw this. The wife had her ID in her newly married name and the couple was taking title in that name, however Title/Escrow still had not yet received a certified copy of the marriage certificate. Apparently, this couple began the process of buying the house just before getting married. While they had a copy of her new ID, part of the escrow instructions included a notation for the marriage certificate or other document supporting her legal name change aside from her ID. So, when the couple signed the documents, they handed me the certified copy that escrow was requesting and it was sent back with the loan docs.

On all of the loan docs, the "TBE" notation was listed after the wife's name and I was told it was because of that certificate having not yet been received is all.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.