Notary Rotary
Yet another printer thread
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by ToniK on 1/18/13 4:45pm
Msg #451077

So I been checking out HP printers since alot of you notaries swear by them AND I must be looking at the wrong ones cuz the ones I have checked out are 14ppm or 21ppm. Thats granny slow!!!!! Is that the speed at which you guys are printing at? I think Id pull my hair out with a slow printing printer as such.....Ok Im hoping HP makes printers who print 40+ppm cuz if not I think Im just gonna get the Brother 6180DWT at 50ppm. Im currently printing at speeds of 30ppm.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/18/13 4:46pm
Msg #451078

Toni, I think the 4000 series prints 40+ n/m

Reply by leeinla on 1/18/13 4:55pm
Msg #451080

Printer Speed

When you by a printer it has the minimum ram installed by the manufacturer. You have to add more ram to get the optimal speed from any printer. The other thing is the pages per minute they tell you is in DRAFT mode not NORMAL mode.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/18/13 5:44pm
Msg #451088

It varies greatly by printer - including within the 4000 series, based on what I've seen recently. My 2430 dtn specs say it prints at about 35 ppm. I looked at one 4000 series recently (don't remember which one) that specs say prints at 25 ppm and I think it's the 4350 that prints at over 60 ppm.

If you Google the printer name plus "specifications", you can get detailed info on any HP printer. Be sure to check out the monthly duty cycle, too. That will give you a good idea as to whether or not the printer is designed for the high volume printing we do in our business. With lots of the lesser priced (at list) HP printers, some of us could max out the recommended monthly volume in a week.

Also be sure to factor in consumables, including new drums, which typically aren't needed on the HPs, since the drum is included in the cartridge.

BTW, I print everything @ 300dpi and can seldom tell the difference. The only exception is the rare occasion when something is scanned really faintly, then I can manually go in and change it to 600dpi. I would assume 300dpi uses half the toner, but I couldn't say for sure.

Reply by Ruby on 1/18/13 6:40pm
Msg #451095

I just bought the 4350 hp and its wonderful. 59 pages per min. Dual trays. Its a work horse and got it from Ebay. For the life of me I dont know why I waited so long. I quess its time to get serious. If you are going to be in the Biz you need the right equipment. I love this.

Reply by janCA on 1/18/13 7:42pm
Msg #451104

I bought a refurbished 4350 tn last year that prints 55ppm. Cost was $450.

Reply by Barb25 on 1/18/13 8:07pm
Msg #451114

Not a good assumption. Dots are bigger than 600 dpi. A more complicated topic which HP has written several papers on. Not worth considering btw moneywise. As for speed, the complexity of the page has a lot to do with it.. But be honest... wireless is slower, USB is slower than network ethernet hardwire. What are we really talking about.

I have HP4250. Bought one new in 2005. Replaced with the same because I have the "accessories"... My cartridge last about a couple of months... X variety. 4350 would be faster but not worth throwing out the "other stuff"... I did go from USB to network (hardwired) I run at 600 dpi.. I can do 1200 fastres with PCL 6. I don't see a difference in quality or speed or toner. What are we talking about here really??? I now have two 4250's (one is a backup). I should only be that busy. Smile

This of course is just my opinion as usual.

Reply by ToniK on 1/18/13 8:10pm
Msg #451115

Barb, I have no clue. I asked about print speed and got dpi quality and Ram....Dont see how that affects print speed and Im only looking at specs that tell me how many pages per minute it prints. Im clueless on the responses I gotten.

Reply by Barb25 on 1/18/13 8:37pm
Msg #451119

Toni, exactly, as long as it does the job.

I have no idea how many pages I am getting from my printer. Who cares. It's doing the job.. The price is right.. It is a workhorse. It's kinda like reading Car and Driver and buying a car solely on the specs. There are all the variables. I had a HP 1320 (I think that was what is was) and I loved it. Years ago, that was. When I got real busy I was going through a toner every two weeks about $130 a month. Also it took me 20 minutes to print my docs. Not good enough.. I bought my 4250. It solved the problem. That one cost me about $1200. The last one cost me about $225 refurbished. LOL.

Read some of the HP "papers" you'll be sorry ... LOL

Good luck with all of this. Because after all is said and done alot depends on how "they" scan the docs. Have you ever sat there and wait for your printer to spit out a page and take a vacation waiting for the next page for come out. That is not your printer.... by the way.

Purchases are always stressful. I find when I go on line and read reviews of "anything" you never find 100% for any product. So, go with your instinct with the referrals you have. And you will be happy.

Barb

Reply by ToniK on 1/18/13 9:18pm
Msg #451133

Re: Toni, exactly, as long as it does the job.

Well print speed is important to me. However those faxed docs do hold up the printing an I have to push the go button just to spit one page out. But that is not common on my packages. Usually Wells Fargo is the culprit but overall Im trying to cut print speed down from 5min to about 3 maybe lol

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/18/13 8:42pm
Msg #451121

Didn't mean to hijack the thread talking about dpi... (Just a reference to what leeinla said about draft mode.)

But since the subject came up, are you saying that it doesn't really save a significant amount of toner if we print at 600 dpi vs. 300 dpi? I don't really have a clue myself, but if it doesn't save anything, I might as well print with the better quality. I glad you mentioned it. My guess, though, is that it, too, will vary a lot by printer. With previous printers I had, I seem to recall that you could see the difference.

One more thing to research with all that abundant spare time I always seem to have... NOT! Wink Thanks for your comments, though.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.