Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Your weirdest experience this week . . .
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by Karla/OR on 1/20/13 1:54pm
Msg #451301

Young man answers the door in his BATHROBE!! He had a T-shirt under it but not sure what else! Didn't want to know!!! His non-borrowing wife was fully dressed. Wouldn't you have thought the wife would have said something to him about getting the bathrobe off at least during the time I am there??? I like my Borrower's to feel comfortable in their own home, but come on!

Also, apparently they had no heat on and it was freezing cold!!! This is one time where I would have accepted coffee had they offered it.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/20/13 3:22pm
Msg #451305

I had a weird one too on Friday. I arrived promptly at 10 AM only to find that borrowers had literally just sat down to breakfast with full-on hot plates of eggs, bacon, toast, juice. Wife was slowly feeding the baby on top of that. They seemed in no hurry to eat - I could not believe it. Hello borrowers, you were expecting me at this time!!! House was a complete mess as well.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/20/13 3:57pm
Msg #451306

Finding out that there is something called Soap Nuts. Has anyone had any experience with them firsthand?

Reply by Jack/AL on 1/20/13 4:46pm
Msg #451307

Soap nuts? I anxiously await the comments of HisHughness!

Firsthand experience? Secondhand or two-hand experience? Golly, I can barely refrain from making inappropriate comments. Guess I'll have to wait for Hugh to make hilarious comments, but in a clean sort of way, to remain appropriate for this forum.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/20/13 9:40pm
Msg #451336

I scrub everything though some places may get more attention n/m

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/20/13 4:50pm
Msg #451308

So what did you do? n/m

Reply by Ellen The Notary on 1/20/13 6:57pm
Msg #451316

My weirdest experience this week is a signing I did for 2 older very heavy "single" women that I would guess were "Hoarders." They did not have any furniture in the living room, just boxes and junk. Didn't even have a place to put my copies. House was dark and also looked like it had not been touched since they moved in 20 years ago.

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/20/13 7:34pm
Msg #451319

Weird experiences I've had, not necessarily this week, but still weird was that a man answered the door in his bathrobe and said, "Don't worry, I won't rape you." This was years ago, the signing was in the morning and my hubby happened to ride with me and was in the car. The man volunteered that he was a gay man. The bathrobe didn't bother me - his statement did. Who says that!?!?

I notarized for a 700 lb person - GNW. DL did show weight as 700 lbs. Spouse let me in, client was in a recliner. The house, client and spouse were spotlessly clean.

Reply by 101livescan on 1/20/13 7:39pm
Msg #451321

I think there should be a uniform dress code, don't you? Acceptable attire? I've attended a lot of signings where people are in their PJs still. Workout clothes are the norm here on the Central Coast. Robes can become "open" and uh, rather exposing.

Reply by 101livescan on 1/20/13 7:44pm
Msg #451324

I'm pretty open minded. Good thing, as in the past 12 years I've signed loan documents for two transvestites in my county. This is not Hollywood! So it was very different for me. I grew up in a very homogenized little town, which of course today is very culturally diversified.

We have to be prepared for anything! I'm just happy everyone is fully clothed.

Reply by ikando on 1/20/13 8:15pm
Msg #451327

I have had two memorable situations. First, two young men living together, only one was signing. The uncomfortable part? No furniture except a double bed and TV in the living room. Had to do some contortions to be sure paperwork stayed in order.

Second was at a very cluttered home where the husband did not want the loan. He, a heavy man, sat in his chair, in his underwear only, hollering at her that he wasn't signing anything. She did not have documents needed, and was running around the house trying to find them. Fortunately my husband was with me (permission requested before the meeting) and stayed between me and the man. We finally had to leave without signing. I did not go back.

Reply by Nicole/CA on 1/20/13 9:19pm
Msg #451332

As I was getting ready to leave a signing, the husband got himself together and decided he was going to catch a ride with me as close as he could get to downtown. He then ended up being a backseat driver! We laughed about it though. They were a sweet couple.

Reply by Shan/CA on 1/20/13 9:40pm
Msg #451337

Oh no! He wouldn't have been in my car! My experience, I believe I posted this when it happened, the lady wasn't there, but there were extra people in the house. A teen looking girl comes out with her hair and body wrapped in a towel only! She stayed for about 2 mins, and then said, "oh we have company!" The second one was when the single male (white) looked over at me and said, "you know, I have a weakness for tall light skinned black women!" WTH? I politely said, "my husband does too!" We finished the docs without a problem.

Reply by linda/ca on 1/20/13 9:58pm
Msg #451340

Oh no! He wouldn't have been in my car!

I caught that too, Shan/CA, however, I couldn't believe what I was reading. Let's hope she knew him personally.

Reply by JulieD/KS on 1/20/13 9:37pm
Msg #451335

I did a loan signing one Sunday morning at 8am and both were in their jammies. I thought it was cute. That's why we do what we do...to make it convenient for borrowers.

Reply by Karla/OR on 1/21/13 2:17am
Msg #451357

Thanks for sharing your weird experiences. I just love those stories!!!

I think Ikando wins the prize this week! Just weird!!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.