Notary Rotary
"stacking order"
Notary Discussion History

"stacking order"
Go Back to January, 2013 Index

Posted by pat/WA on 1/9/13 2:58pm
Msg #449651

"stacking order"

Can anyone explain the "stacking order"?
It is never the same. It makes no sense. And they want the documents returned in stacking order which is not the way I like to present the documents to the borrower.

Reply by bagger on 1/9/13 3:07pm
Msg #449654

Who are "they?"
I haven't had anyone request a stacking order in a year now.
The last one I had wanted faxbacks of the critical docs, and then wanted me to re-stack.
I told them to pick one or the other.

Reply by pat/WA on 1/9/13 3:10pm
Msg #449658

The company requesting "stacking order" is Flex Closing and there are no fax backs.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 1/9/13 7:51pm
Msg #449693

Pat: Did you ck their rating in SC? n/m

Reply by bagger on 1/10/13 7:40am
Msg #449751

Well, there ya go.

I don't work for 2.5 star companies!

Reply by JPH13/MO on 1/9/13 3:08pm
Msg #449656

It varies from company to company, and if they say to keep it in the same order but you prefer another order, then you may want to do what I do. I find the docs I want to present first and place a sticky note on the back of the doc in front of the one I want to pull out from the order they have them in, with the name of the doc I am pulling out (HUD, RTC, etc.). You can then present them in the order you prefer. When done presenting each one, put it back where they want it and remove the sticky note from the doc in front.

I re-use these sticky notes many times before they no longer stick, and borrower's seem to like that I took the time to find the important docs to review with them first. When I do this I mention that I pulled out the more important documents to review first and that I have to put them back where I found them so that the person handling the finalized docs will have them in the order they are used to. The rest of the signing seems to go more smoothly when they know that you took the time to do this for them. I do this for large packages, for small ones under 100 pages I usually don't bother.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/9/13 3:25pm
Msg #449663

I used to work for a man who left me with quite a gem many, many moons ago. He stated that no one is worth more than $10 an hour, it is all in how one markets oneself to get the salary they want. No matter what position one applies for, they need training. Everyone. The training is given in how that particular company wants things done. Most people train in a new job for several months or more.

You are being given a list of stacking order. You have one day to learn it by their list. If not, they will call another in your area at a later date. Are you up to earning your $10 hr?

Reply by pat/WA on 1/9/13 3:38pm
Msg #449667

#1 Yes I am earning over $10.00 per hour

#2 There is no list

#3 Instructions state return documents in same stacking order

Reply by jba/fl on 1/9/13 6:10pm
Msg #449687

You missed the whole point.

Reply by Buddy Young on 1/9/13 3:45pm
Msg #449668

They want the doc's returned in the same order in which you recieved them.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 1/9/13 4:09pm
Msg #449669

ALL the loan information you need to present is listed in the HUD. Loan amt, payoff, closing costs, escrow, int, lender costs, title costs, int, payment with and w/o escrow. This is all I am presenting to the borrowers first. If something isn't right with the HUD, then stop and do what needs to be done. There is NO need to pull any other doc out UNTIL you have gone over the HUD first. If everything is okey dokey with the HUD, I proceed with all other docs in the order they were given to me. Occasionally, I will pull the escrow disclosure and show them what is scheduled to be paid, but this is only if they question the escrow amts on the HUD and have additional questions. I no longer pull the Note or TIL. I just go over it when I get to it.

So, its no biggie to put that 1 doc back in its place, I keep the stack open and put it right back. I always, always send the HUD as the first docs back in the pkg.

Reply by NJDiva on 1/9/13 5:05pm
Msg #449678

Agreed Linda!

All I say once we get to the terms on the third page of the HUD is

"This is the loan right here. If this is right, pretty much the rest of this packet is supporting what is here in this box." I then review that box and once we've reviewed it, I put my hand over the box and say, "Is this correct?" When they say yes, I say, "Okay, we can begin signing."

When we get to the Note, I point out the information that is tailored to their information and agreed upon terms(because the rest of it is a government regulated boiler plate, uniform document with the same verbiage throughout). I don't tell them this but, there's no sense in reviewing it, because we already determined the accuracy when we reviewed the HUD (of course I always point out the 1st payment due date, the prepayment policy and the grace period.)

And finally, when we get to the TIL, as I place it in front of them I always point out that there is a difference between the APR and the IR (otherwise, many times if someone looks at it they get alarmed and suspicious.) I keep a copy of the FAQ for the TIL in my briefcase in case someone wants an in-depth description.

Reply by Holliday/VA on 1/10/13 6:22am
Msg #449745

Re: Agreed Linda!

Wow really well said and succint! Thanks for sharing that.

Reply by notarydi/CA on 1/9/13 5:31pm
Msg #449682

"stacking order" is the way the lender wants the docs from first page/top page to last page/bottom page. It is generally, the order that the docs come over scanned. Typically, it is lender's instructions, HUD, Note, DOT, TIL, 1003, fluff forms. Unbelievably, as many pages as we print, the lender then adds more once the loan is funded with funding forms, etc. and then makes MORE copy packages of said "exhibits/documents" and ships off said copy packages to investors/end-users/seller-servicers on the secondary market. They want us to put/keep in "stacking order" as it is less work for their secondary marketing/shipping people. And, buyers on the secondary market, only want to review files for purchase that are put together in a consistent format. It is an "order" that has evolved over time in mortgage. JMHO and experience.

Reply by HSH/WA on 1/9/13 10:42pm
Msg #449718

Re: Since I use page separator the order is completely

changed. I often bring up the TIL and HUD 1 first just to make sure the numbers are right before signing all the other pages. Any fax backs sit on top. Putting them back in order would be too time consuming for me.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 1/10/13 12:02am
Msg #449723

Wait a sec...

Isn't page separator from Flex Closings? If so, does it "stack" the pages properly during whatever separating it does?

I no longer do signings, but when I did,the "stack order" was rarely a problem. It just seemed to be a fairly random order, depending on the SS or the TC. If they said "you must return the documents in the order we sent them to you", I would comply - unless they requested fax backs, in which case they got the choice of one or the other. Never had a problem with stacking order.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/10/13 12:33am
Msg #449727

Re: Wait a sec...

"Isn't page separator from Flex Closings?"

Yes, though they won't openly admit to it on the website for the software, not do they provide very good contact information for support aside from a contact form on their website.

Flex promotes it a lot and forces some of their notaries to purchase it if they don't have the equipment.

I know some people like the software and use it a lot... but I have a lot of objections to it simple because of WHO made and who sells/promotes it, even forcing people to buy it. They do a great job of hiding that they're behind it, but it's not difficult to find the connection once you look at the corporate filings - the same guy is running both companies.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/10/13 1:24am
Msg #449730

*** not do they provide very good contact information for support aside from a contact form on their website.***

After I bought Page Separator, a representative from the company called personally to determine if I had any problems installing the software. I have never had that kind of support from any computer application I have ever bought since acquiring my first computer in 1982.

Page Separator has several advantages over dual tray printers. One is the cost. Second is the ease of upgrade. Third is that it creates separate files for letter and legal sizes. It could, however, make your bed, wash your car, cook dinner and give your mother-in-law such a bad case of gas that out of embarrassment she would elect to return home several days early, and some people would never accept that it is a most beneficial program.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/10/13 1:41am
Msg #449731

I've never objected to any of that... I know plenty of people like it and use it.

As I've repeatedly said, I object to it because of the source and the fact that the company that made it hides and then heavily promotes and requires their notaries to buy it if they don't have other hardware options.

It's not a lot different than, say, a certain electronic journal program created by a certain organization. As great as the features might be, I'd never use it because of the source. But at lease they are open about it being THEIR software, unlike the PS software, where they hide it.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/10/13 1:46am
Msg #449733

At any rate, I just find it ironic that there are quite a few notaries who would never DREAM of working for Flex, and yet they have no problem buying their software. I know it's a decent option for some people, but I'm not convinced it's all on the up and up.... else why wouldn't they provide more contact information or details about who they are on their website?

Reply by Holliday/VA on 1/10/13 6:24am
Msg #449746

Yeah I have seen other companies stacking order instructions but they aren't signing agent instructions; they are clearly marked for the title Co/lender agent.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/10/13 10:11am
Msg #449769

This has been discussed before. There is sometimes a

list that is meant for the settlement agent, not us.
I ALWAYS put the docs in a stacking order--HUD, payment letter, Note, DOT, TIL, Item. of Amt. financed, RTC., etc. It's the order that makes for a smooth signing. I've never had any complaints. I put title docs in the back, and paperclip any closing instructions, etc. that don't require signatures. This is what works for me. :-)

Reply by Eve/VA on 1/15/13 1:59pm
Msg #450539

So it's okay not to return docs in the order we receive them

unless they specifically request it?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.