Notary Rotary
ALERT: Stay on your Toes, Fellow NSAs
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 7/27/13 2:43pm
Msg #478240

I got an email this morning from a notary in another state. One signing service who owes this notary for several signings...

"No one has answered phone for over 3 days. Sent message through her website and no response. She really is a horrible person. I think she owes so much money that there is no-way she will be able to pay it. I am trying to work with the States Governments to have them enact a law requiring all Signing Agencies to be bonded. If we need it they should need it. Enough of the crooks getting away with these scams."

Just be careful who you accept work from. If they don't have 4 or 5 stars, don't go there. Chances are their work is slow and these companies are eking out a living on your hard earned dollars before they close their doors for good.

Reply by Karla/OR on 7/27/13 3:13pm
Msg #478243

Thanks for the info! I applaud you for your efforts to get SS's bonded! You rock!!!

Reply by 101livescan on 7/27/13 3:17pm
Msg #478245

Most of the good ones are bonded, insured and carry E&O. It's the in and out of business fly by the seat of their pants SSs who show up in the middle of the night and fold their tent within a year!

We all know who they are~their brand name changes, but it's the same MO, stiff the notary!

Reply by Karla/OR on 7/27/13 3:21pm
Msg #478247

Thanks for that clarification! n/m

Reply by desktopfull on 7/27/13 3:44pm
Msg #478250

What info? A rumor that an unknown company isn't answering their phone, may owe NSA's money, my not pay them? This innuendo could pertain to dozens of companies SS's as well as TC's. Don't you think that putting a name to the provided info is necessary in order to make it real information?

Reply by mmk on 7/27/13 5:56pm
Msg #478265

Agree! If grievance enough to report, name names! n/m

Reply by Gilda Murray on 7/27/13 6:26pm
Msg #478268

Re: Agree! If grievance enough to report, name names!

100% agree as well. Although I only work for one Title Company period which is a 5 star, and have not accepted signings from any other signing agency in quite sometime due to the fact I'm kept busy and get paid weekly on time, ( I'm voicing my opinion for other notaries.) If the information is worth throwing out there NAME EM!

Reply by MW/VA on 7/27/13 6:19pm
Msg #478266

I agree with this. Some of this is starting to sound like

XYZ who likes to get a lot of attention by sensational blitzes. This is rumor & innuendo at this point. I work for many cos that do pay a decent fee & in a timely manner. Anything else is a waste of time.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/27/13 7:00pm
Msg #478270

Well, goodie for all you smartypants!

I believe 101 was passing on an e-mail sent to her citing one person's experience. Granted, it's hearsay but this forum is not a court of law, as far as I know. This was followed by some valuable advice for both veteran and nonveteran NSAs alike. I see no reason to shoot the messenger. Why all the hostility and gloating about how good you have it compared to this unnamed knucklehead notary who made a bad decision?

Yes, it would be nice to know the name of the hiring agency. Perhaps the offended notary will post it or allow 101 to post it. In the meantime, charges of innuendo, sensationalism and rumors are out of line, IMO.

Reply by desktopfull on 7/27/13 7:19pm
Msg #478272

How is pointing out innuendo being hostile & gloating? n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 7/28/13 11:26am
Msg #478313

Yes, we appreciate the tip to be careful who we work for.

My concern is that there's been a lot of posts lately about a particular co. & threats of a
lawsuit. I always thought we were only supposed to post based on our own experience, and Signing Central is there for that reason.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/27/13 7:06pm
Msg #478271

Re: I agree with this. Some of this is starting to sound like

I saw this as just passing on an interesting idea from another notary - which I think has real merit. While we all would like to know who this ss is, I believe that it's a good idea to only name names when we're talking about first hand experience, from our own personal knowledge, not something passed along by someone else. (You just never know what gets lost in the translation.) However, in this current environment - which is only likely to get worse as business slows - a reminder about being careful couldn't hurt, especially for the occasional readers here.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 7/27/13 9:29pm
Msg #478280

I agree, Janet

101, or anyone in the position she is in in a similar situation, has to be careful about naming companies that others are experiencing non-payment issues with least they expose themselves to possible legal action from that company if the situation turns out not to be as described to her.

As a general reminder to be careful regarding who we extend credit to, I think the OP did what it was intended to do. Hopefully the actual NSA that sent 101 the email will be willing to name the company, as it is their first hand experience. I agree that would be beneficial to everyone to know exactly who they should probably not accept any signing requests from.

Reply by Robert522TX on 7/27/13 7:29pm
Msg #478274

Thank you for reminding us to be careful who we work for! n/m

Reply by Dave Winters on 7/28/13 3:56am
Msg #478298

what was the name of the signing service, that would be helpful to know

Reply by BrendaTx on 7/28/13 12:24pm
Msg #478316

The moral of the story is simply to use Signing Central. n/m

Reply by JanelWI on 7/28/13 12:33pm
Msg #478317

I agree with the general consensus that it would be helpful to know who this signing service is before a post like this is made. Generally, there is risk doing any kind of business, therefore we try to protect ourselves as often and as diligently as we can. However, for those that take this business seriously and take the time to read the posts of others and do their homework before jumping in and calling themselves a signing agent.....will gather quite quickly, at least from this site, that doing some research before accepting a signing from a signing service is just good business practice/common sense.

In my experience over the years, I can count on 1 hand regarding how many title companies did not pay me vs. signing services. Signing Services win that contest every single time...we know we need to check them....period. What we need to know is "who" we need to check. This is not to say they are all bad.

So, I would encourage 101 to encourage the individual in this situation with this particular SS, to come forward with his or her first hand knowledge to alert those in this community to help prevent this bad business practice from continuing.

Reply by desktopfull on 7/28/13 2:00pm
Msg #478325

I agree more SS's will stiff you, but I've been hit the hardest on dollar amount by the TC's and wasn't able to recoup a dime because they filed bankruptcy. That happened due to my error in believing that TC's were more trustworthy, they don't get that status anymore. It come's down to "experience teaches you what you didn't want to know in the first place," I know very cynical. But the hard lessons are the ones you aren't likely to repeat or forget. Especially when it comes to business.

Reply by JanelWI on 7/28/13 2:29pm
Msg #478327

No doubt, there is risk from SS and TC alike. In my experience, it has been more SS's than TC, but I have been burnt in the recent past when the "meltdown" occurred and I received more bankruptcy letters in the mail than paychecks. It was from both TC and SS. So of course we have to learn how to mitigate potential for risk and also be willing to take risks at the same time in order to grow and increase our own business potential in a rapidly changing financial and technological climate.

At the end of the day, I try to keep business and money in its proper perspective. It is only a means to end in a very temporary existence. I can't take it with me, therefore I refuse to let it define me or take me away from the important people that truly enrich my life. It's part of what I do to live and survive. If you asked me, I would rather be writing my poetry, singing and doing my artwork. Or, decorating my soap box on the particular political and social issues of the day:-)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.