Notary Rotary
An SS with a good rating and fair pay called and ask me to
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by HSH/WA on 7/1/13 10:45pm
Msg #475355

do a signing downtown at 4:30. I ask for a bump in the fee to accommodate the 45 minutes of extra driving time due to rush hour. He said "I'll get somebody closer, thanks" and hung up. It was so abrupt that it made me feel like the rug had been pulled out from under me - did I mess up? Should I have been more willing? It isn't like I am booked up. Frankly, I think it was a fair request and wished he had called someone closer to start with.

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/1/13 11:22pm
Msg #475360

<<<I ask for a bump in the fee....did I mess up?>>>

IMHO, yes...because you are running a business, you are not an employee. In your *thoughts*, you are calculating the drive time for rush hour - then you quote your fee accordingly. Don't ASK for anything. You inform the client that your fee is X, period.

<<<Should I have been more willing?>>>

Willing for what? To just accept whatever is offered? That's up to you. Create a fee schedule and a quote fee that will cover your costs, time, travel (including rush hour and extended distances), and experience. If you don't get the signing so be it. But if you accept a fee that doesn't cover your costs/time/travel/experience, live with it and don't complain.

Reply by Lee/AR on 7/1/13 11:24pm
Msg #475361

No, you didn't mess up. And, yes, he should have called someone closer... probably price-shopping.
You know what you need for the time/mileage/etc. involved. Set your fee; quote it and forget it.
You won't win them all, but those that you do get will be profitable. It's a business; not an auction.

Reply by John Tennant on 7/1/13 11:40pm
Msg #475364

No, I do not think you messed up. Commute times in San Diego can add a lot more than 45 minutes during rush hour. I always advise that there will be an "extra" fee above and beyond my standard fees during those drive times. I also have had a good SS with fair pay go elsewhere rather than pay the fee.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/2/13 12:09am
Msg #475368

Like someone else said, I recommend you let it go. I wouldn't take personally the abruptness, just chalk it up to the scheduler being in a hurry to get to the next caller. This one was never meant to be yours to begin with, so you shouldn't feel like the rug has been pulled out from under you.

Reminds me of a title co somewhere on the east coast that seems to call me anytime they have anything anywhere in California... (We are a verrrry big state.) I don't get upset if they call me for something 250 miles away, I just try to refer them to someone whenever possible. Can't lose what you never had. Wink

Reply by Notarysigner on 7/2/13 8:01am
Msg #475383

Agree with the rest, nothing wrong. We are in a WORK

stoppage here, mass transit, BART on strike. People in cars are picking up 4 - 5 people so they can get to work, gridlock everywhere....Guess what, I'm not going anywhere for any amount. Had two clients come to me because of it. TC around the country have to know about it but it doesn't matter to them because you're the person out there.

Reply by ananotary on 7/2/13 10:27am
Msg #475394

Unless you operate a non-profit business

This is nothing to worry about. It's the cost of doing business sometimes. Keep marketing!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.