Notary Rotary
Cleveland Ohio apostille service
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by bpn/NY on 7/31/13 6:54am
Msg #478676

Hi a client of mine is looking for an apostille service in Cleveland Ohio if you offer that service please email me stamp11219. (At) Gmail
thank you.

Reply by A S Johnson on 7/31/13 9:41am
Msg #478693

Apostille is certification that the Notary is currently in good standing. It is generally done by the state office that issues the Notary Commission.

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 7/31/13 10:19am
Msg #478697

If it's similar in Ohio to Louisiana, the notary performs the notarization and then the document is sent on to the SoS for the certification of the public official's signature. This only applies to documents going out of country. I just did one this morning for a death certificate where the woman is bringing her son's ashes back to Nicaragua to spread them off some mountain top. Once I finished my end, I provided the SoS form and instructed her how to address the envelope and when to expect the documents back from SoS (usually 3-4 business days). Not much else involved from the notary end.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/31/13 10:46am
Msg #478705

The client will have to send the document to the Ohio SOS office Apostille division with a check or money order for $5 (check must be drawn on a US bank). With the request the client will have to specify which country the document is going to so the SOS will know whether to issue an apostille or gold seal certification (apostilles are only issued when the destination country is a member of the 1961 Hague Convention, other countries get the Gold Seal certification). if it is for a notarized document the notarization has to be done by a Ohio notary.

Reply by ikando on 7/31/13 11:24am
Msg #478720

I recently notarized documents that for some reason the company was going to send to New York for an apostille. When I explained to them what the apostille did, they were grateful that they would be saved time by not having the docs go to NY and be sent back to Oklahoma for the apostille.

Reply by SharonMN on 7/31/13 1:40pm
Msg #478750

Some countries accept an apostille. Other countries require that you get an apostille first and then send the document to their U.S. consulate office to be authenticated/consularized. That might be what the New York office thing was about.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/31/13 1:49pm
Msg #478752

If the document has to be legalized by the foreign embassy then it has to go to the US Secretary of states office first for authentication. The individual state issued the certificate which verifies the notary, then the US SOS authenticates the individual SOS authority, then the foreign embassy will legalize the document (which from experience I can say it is a PITA dealing with the foreign embassies). The apostille is for countries that are members of the Hague Convention, and they need no further legalization. The ones who are not members of the Hague Convention get a Certificate instead and they are the ones who may require legalization on top of the US DOS authentication.

Reply by bpn/NY on 7/31/13 1:58pm
Msg #478754

Re: Thanks I do apostille service here in NY

I was looking for someone who does it in Ohio every state has it's own rules.There are many people who are turned away from the NY SOS office because they don't know what they are doing. A real estate broker from another country that uses me in NY needed that "service" in Ohio.
Thanks.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.