Notary Rotary
Competition in your area
Notary Discussion History

Competition in your area
Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by MCNP/VA on 7/11/13 10:58pm
Msg #476500

Competition in your area

I was wondering if anyone has done a search of fellow Notaries in your area and how many you are competing against for signings and pricing? I believe last time I checked there were about 100 in my area. This could greatly impact prices and flow of work. Thoughts?

Reply by John Tennant on 7/11/13 11:49pm
Msg #476508

290+ in my zip code alone and it is very small, thousands in SD. I still get my price and am able to pick and choose.

Reply by sueharke on 7/12/13 2:06am
Msg #476518

The economy will have many notaries stop working as notaries. Once this happens the fees may go up as there will be less notaries available for the work. It is called the law of supply and demand.

Reply by Scriba/NM on 7/12/13 2:32am
Msg #476520

That's Just Part of the Puzzle

Sure, there are so-called "notaries" in everyone's area. In the 12 years I've been doing this I have seen the number increase. However, when I get comments from title companies regarding the poor quality of their so-called work, I don't worry. As things slow down (as they will from time to time) some of the dumbells will drop out. Some "signing companies" will go out of business. These are usually notaries who decided to suddenly "become" a signing company but know absolutely nothing about business.

Many notaries will then clatter and scream and moan that they didn't get paid from a defunct signing service. Seen it all before. We will see it here on the forum. Moaning and groaning.

Other signing services will chisel even more and attempt to reduce the notary's fee. Some notaries will accept this. Smart ones won't. Unfortunately there is a shortage of smart ones. This is evidenced by the page after page of stupid instructions to notaries who have screwed up all over the place - but we also get the same instructions too, thanks to the dimwit patrol.

Notaries who commit to quality work and communicate with the people sending them that work, shouldn't have to worry. You have to develop relationships and you have to learn how to do that in order to be successful. So, sure there are a lot of notaries out there, but they pose no threat to people who really know what they are doing. Usually they will fade out and disappear.

Reply by 101livescan on 7/12/13 8:41am
Msg #476530

Re: That's Just Part of the Puzzle

Amen, Ralph. You're singing to the choir here. I was at a client's house last night at 8:15pm. The evening before another notary was there with another refi package because I was already busy with other assignments. She collected a personal check when she should have requested a cashiers check (over $1500 due to close, investment property to fund immediately), and she was there for more than an hour, painfully presenting documents she had no clue about. When we finished signing after 30 minutes, it was a simple Wells Fargo refi, h&w looked at each other and said, my that was easy and quick. Thank you for making this so effortless. They shared with me that the notary did not seem to know her "stuff" and fumbled about. The first thing I do is hand the client the note and the settlement statement and most client's have their GFE to compare it to. He handed me his cashiers check to close. Easy peasy. I make my entry and departure swift, don't linger and make small talk.

Well, that's my competition, so me worry, why? It gets back to escrow and the LO and now they understand that not every notary is created with the same technique and demeanor. I am very blessed that I have the focus and the skill set to do what I do.

Plus their border collie, Maggie, loved me, sat by my side the entire time, and when I left, we shook hands and I had a treat for her. The whole family loved me.

You're right, the part timers will drop by the wayside. SS's will too, not enough business out there to share the meager slice of orders to be distributed. More EO's and LO's will carefully select their NSA. I think those who really know their stuff will still be on the horizon in five years, the others will go find other work.

I've never heard before like I've heard in the last couple of years how many notaries are getting stiffed, offered paltry fees, and they keep doing it over and over. Good grief, this would have discouraged me a long time ago if I hadn't learned to carefully screen my vendors and only work for the best. Ignore the rest. You're right, there is a growing population of "stupid" notaries out there who can't find their butts in the dark, while the best NSA's are shrinking in numbers as they retire out of this business (Dang GG, I'm so jealous!). Don't know what notary instruments need to be compliant, etc. Crazy. There is an element that is often absent from the equation~COMMON SENSE. It just can't be learned, it's inherent in one's makeup, life experience, otherwise we would be able to take a crash course, COMMON SENSE 101.

Querie: How many new notaries out there look at the package as it's being printed, discern the type of property, loan, product, rate and terms, if there are impounds being collected, so they know what the heck they are talking about when they get to the client's home and start passing documents to them? Clueless, no idea of what the heck they are doing? Don't know how to respond, when not to respond, etc. Especially savvy borrowers.

Imagine how frustrated Escrow Officers are when they get the package back with missing signatures, notary stamps. forms not filled out properly, creating even more work with PTF conditions to clean up the file for funding/closing.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/12/13 8:58am
Msg #476534

I have found the last paragraph you posted to be true.

There's lot of "competition" in my area, but I continue to get the work I'm interested in doing for the fees I expect. There seems to be enough work in my area (densely populated) to supply work to many notaries. I never sought to "do it all". ;-)

Reply by Letty Marquez on 7/12/13 6:07pm
Msg #476638

Re: That's Just Part of the Puzzle

Hi,

I totally agree with you, once you develop your contacts and they know your work there is no need for worry. Is good to have couple contacts of the notaries close to your area that way they can cover you when you are not available. I have train others before and I am glad I had a great mentor 8.5 years ago when I started. Commitment to a quality work is the key to success.

Also, so true about those notaries becoming signing companies, some are horrible and want to low ball you all the time.

Reply by NMSBTB/TN on 7/12/13 10:59am
Msg #476566

Competition is high in my area but I also know I receive

calls from folks who "shop" (don't we all at today's costs?) who happily declined my service when I said gvt. photo id is required and called to tell me not to come as they found someone willing to do it without id! Month later called again to do paperwork. No id still so said id is still required. Called back week later now in possession of id. Notary commission expired last year so the bank wouldn't take the one without the id! Unfortunately 2nd time in month - same reason for returned paperwork. 2 different hospitals and 2 different notaries!

Business may be slow but the folks I do work for are very appreciative of quality, affordable work. And yes, I've been cussed out by those that I turn down due to illegal request, no or doctored id's etc. Figure I've done my job well!

Reply by Larry Wilson on 7/12/13 3:16pm
Msg #476619

Re: Competition is high in my area but I also know I receive

Competition is keen in my area but I turn down all low ballers. Several SS send a blanket email asking for a notary to a singing. Sent them your fee and availability and they may respond. I turn them all down. I tell them I have appointments. If they want me they will have to give me the information up front and let me deside if I have the time.
I hope you all have a great July.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.