Notary Rotary
GNW reply re Sue Harke Msg 476235 below
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by NMSBTB/TN on 7/11/13 7:46am
Msg #476311

My fee quoted was VERY reasonable as the travel alone round trip would be no less than 60 minutes - most like closer to 70. A mobile service was requested otherwise for 1 doc I would have suggested she contact her bank, etc. Many times I give an approximate range as traffic patterns vary from minute to minute in a large city. If no problems, then I charge the lower fee. Only with major traffic or the parties not being timely or they forgot the paperwork then yes I charge the higher end. Greedy? No way. Many times folks want me to travel to them and charge for notary work only - they don't want to have to travel to their bank, etc. because road construction and rush hour can take over 1 hour one way and money is tight. Sorry but if you are asking me to travel 2 hours to reach you and charge per notary stamp, no.

Msg #476235
There is a business that I visit once a week for GNW because they are required to file liens and release of liens for unpaid bills. I give this company a 10% discount on notarization fees because they give me a lot of work. They are located less than a mile from me (I can actually walk there faster than driving if necessary), so I don't charge a travel fee. In the end I've made more money doing their notarization than doing a RE signing. It also takes less time to do the work for this company. I think not being greedy is the best advertising I could get for future work from other recommendations from this company and other companies that belong the local Chamber of Commerce.

Reply by sueharke on 7/11/13 9:39am
Msg #476318

What are you trying to say?

I never said that I did not charge a travel fee for some travel, depending on the time of day, location, and number of notarized signatures. I just said if there are enough notarized signature and recurring business, I give discount to larger customers.

Reply by NMSBTB/TN on 7/11/13 11:37am
Msg #476340

What I was explaining was the customer asked specifically for a mobile service, quoted a fee for mobile/notary/travel fee. Gave discount price if it was not rush hour. Outcome was she said I charged way too much and someone was driving to her house to do it for $5. Find it hard to believe someone would actually expect a business person to drive to their location, enter id, swear them in, do return drive and feel $5 should be the going rate!!! Must be on the same block and just driving or walking a few blocks. I too have but always explain that only because I was right there in the neighborhood but that certainly wasn't "standard" mobile fees.

I'd believe many of us have at times done pro bono work for certain folks - military, handicapped, etc.

Wasn't sure what the comment re greed implied. Just clarifying that my quote was very reasonable.

I give discounts as well and have actually been paid more $$ from folks because my fees are reasonable. I too believe in developing long lasting business relationships and make myself available asap if possible.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.