Notary Rotary
How Many pages are you faxing back?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by JJNotary/CA on 7/29/13 3:56pm
Msg #478406

I am being asked to fax back 15-17 pages, for $10 extra dollars. Seems excessive to me; what do you think? Is anyone finding this average? The previous times I have faxed back it was 4 or 5 pages.

Reply by JPH13/MO on 7/29/13 4:00pm
Msg #478408

I don't think that is excessive, and they are at least paying extra for it. I will only fax back when their is no 3 day rescission period, and they need to fund the next day. Most companies I work for will not pay anything extra, but they also only require fax back of critical docs for loans with no rescission period, and give me 9 or 10 (or more) easy, low doc assignments with no fax backs for every one that needs anything faxed back, so I don't mind having to do it once in a while for them.

Reply by ananotary on 7/29/13 4:06pm
Msg #478411

My fax back fee is $25 no matter how many pages. I've never had anyone question that. They sometimes decide they don't actually need the fax back and same day drop works for them.

I also do not fish out the pages they want. I fax the entire package and let them fish out what they want.

Reply by Jack/AL on 7/29/13 4:45pm
Msg #478417

I'll fax back as many as required. For the smaller number of pages, up to 30 or so, I do not ask for compensation in addition to the agreed fee. Faxing is simple and easy. If somebody wants the entire package faxed, which has not been happening, I'll call and ask for another $25. I don't expect that to happen. For the faxback list that accompanies the docs for an investment property, I just put the required docs into the same order as shwon on the faxback list, attached the list as a cover, and send it along. I then leave all docs in the order they are in after faxing, and put into the overnight envelope.

Reply by JJNotary/CA on 7/29/13 5:05pm
Msg #478419

I guess the extra work includes running home between signings to fax, re-organizing the packet, and then running the doc.s out after the next signing. It's an investment property; I see the need for fax backs, $10 just seems like no money for extra gas and work. I'm probably over thinking it. Sounds like the number of pages is resonable. Thank you for replying!

Reply by Larry Wilson on 7/29/13 5:35pm
Msg #478422

Most do not pay for fax backs in my area. When I ask to more the call someone else.
When I do fax back I scan and email. That way I have a copy should they not receive them.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 7/29/13 6:01pm
Msg #478425

Are you asking if they require fax backs before quoting

...your fee for the signing?

I have found that asking about fax backs before I quote any fee is helpful in getting my fax back fees because the quote i give them if there are fax backs is already included.

When I first started in the business, I didn't always ask about fax backs before I gave them a quote. If there were fax backs after the fact, I did find it harder to get them to agree with the increased fee. Those usually resulted in me getting a higher fee, but usually not my full fax back fee.

Reply by JJNotary/CA on 7/29/13 8:23pm
Msg #478437

Re: Are you asking if they require fax backs before quoting

Yes, I did. And was told it they add $10 for fax backs, which I said seemed low. They replied, we hardley every have fax backs. Shouldn't be a problem, but we can't confirm until the doc.s are ready.

Sigh. I think I need to strengthen my backbone in the begining conversation.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 7/29/13 5:53pm
Msg #478423

Sounds like even you may be questioning if you

... are actually charging enough for the extra services you are providing ("$10 just seems like no money for extra gas and work").

My fax back (or scan back) fees are set up in 3 tiers; a base fee and two higher fee levels, based on the total number of pages requested to be sent back. Once their request reaches 40 pages, I can send just those pages or the entire package (which is actually easier for me), it is the same fee.

Since I charge $75 for that highest tier service, every single company I have had that originally requested 40+ pages to be faxed back has decide that they didn't need them as quickly as they originally thought; they dropped all the fax back requests and have said that overnight would be just fine. And yes, I do still receive signing requests from these companies.

The schedulers and TC employees that call us do not work for free, why some people think we should is beyond me. I don't know of anyone, in any profession, that will quote a price for a job or service that will not increase that quote if they are asked to do additional work that increases their costs and increases the time required to complete the job.

It's not personal, it's just business. If I don't value my time and my service, why should they?

Reply by ananotary on 7/29/13 7:04pm
Msg #478431

Re: Sounds like even you may be questioning if you

"It's not personal, it's just business. If I don't value my time and my service, why should they?"

Exactly why I charge a fax back fee no matter how many pages. It's just business. Period.

Reply by Christine/OK on 7/30/13 7:25am
Msg #478474

LIKE!! :D n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 7/29/13 5:58pm
Msg #478424

Faxbacks are pretty standard on non-owner occupied props.

It can be a PIA, depending on our schedules, but goes with the territory. I don't have a problem if they let me know when they schedule the appt., but I often don't find out until I get the docs. Many cos. will pay an extra $10 to $15 for that. Structured settlements also require faxbacks & they're more like 35-40 pages. My standard fee used to be $25 for faxbacks, but most cos. will only pay $15 now. I did buy a sheet-feed scanner, so I can scan & email a lot faster than traditional faxing. I still have both available, however.

Reply by JJNotary/CA on 7/29/13 8:53pm
Msg #478445

Re: Faxbacks are pretty standard on non-owner occupied props.

And that's a point - if my scanner was faster - so would I be!! Smile

Reply by Linda Spanski on 7/29/13 9:18pm
Msg #478448

Don't forget the add'l mileage to drop the pkg

If I have to return to the office to scan, then drive to the courier's site to drop off the docs, I need to charge for my time and mileage.

Reply by JJNotary/CA on 7/29/13 9:21pm
Msg #478449

Re: Don't forget the add'l mileage to drop the pkg

See - that's what I'm getting at. It's more than it first appears.

Reply by rolomia on 7/29/13 11:37pm
Msg #478458

Re: Don't forget the add'l mileage to drop the pkg

I let them know upfront that I charge $1 per page, faxed-back. And, I won't fax back the entire package if they only need certain docs. But, I also let them know that I'm not putting docs. back in orig. order, unless I get paid extra for that, too. I don't work for free. But, from some of the posts I've read in this thread, it appears that a number of NotRot NSA's are more generous with their time than I would be. TC's/SS's must love them.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/30/13 9:09am
Msg #478482

Yes, I completely agree in theory. You will be the one who

decides what policy you're going to establish regarding faxbacks. There are too many cos. expecting faxbacks for free these days. We're not sitting in corporate offices with equipment at our fingertips, after all.

Reply by Exclusive Mobile Notary on 7/30/13 12:29am
Msg #478463

Why worry about it when the fax number is toll free and its not costing you anything to fax...

Reply by rolomia on 7/30/13 1:46am
Msg #478466

Because the time & effort to send said fax are worth money!

JJNotary: Bravo to you for taking a stand. It's a shame that some TC's/SS's only value THEIR time/effort but don't value ours. It's even more insulting when notaries who post on this forum suggest that you should undervalue your time/effort. They have NO business even suggesting how YOU should conduct YOUR business. If that is fine for THEM, then, let THEM work for free. My time and effort are worth money. Wow! The nerve of some people.

Reply by Lee/AR on 7/30/13 5:45am
Msg #478468

Not all phone plans are created equal

My 'unlimited' plan still charges 10 cents/minute for faxing. They call 'em 'data calls', so even if it's a tollfree number I'm faxing to--still costs me. And there is additional time/mileage/labor involved, too.

Reply by rolomia on 7/30/13 7:19am
Msg #478471

I value my time/effort & TC's/SS's respect that.

Title company/signing service employees get paid by the hour. If their job requires faxing documents, they are, by definition, being paid to conduct that task. As a notary, I am a critical link in the chain. Thus, when I am asked to complete a task, I expect to be paid for it, too. If you, as a notary, are willing to fax docs. for free, bravo! That just means that the company who saved money by hiring notaries willing to conduct necessary tasks for free will have more revenue to pay me when I charge a reasonable rate to complete said task for them. So, thank you.

Reply by rolomia on 7/30/13 7:21am
Msg #478472

Beware of free suckers

My bank used to keep a bowl of free suckers on the counter. Have any of you wondered why those suckers were free? You get what you pay for. The bank no longer supplies them because they care about their customers health. Now they keep a bowl of fruit, instead. The suckers were very tasty for a time, but all that processed sugar is bad for your teeth and health in the long run. So, beware of free suckers. I wonder how much longer other companies will keep free suckers around? Probably not long if they care about their customers and the long-term health of their company. You get what you pay for.

Reply by ananotary on 7/30/13 9:45am
Msg #478488

Exclusive Mobile Notary- To answer your question..

"If I don't value my time and my service, why should they?"

MY time is worth money. That is part of my business plan.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.