Notary Rotary
ID Replacement
Notary Discussion History

ID Replacement
Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by NVLSlady/VA on 7/30/13 10:12am
Msg #478494

ID Replacement

Has anyone "changed" his or her ID in order to renew her notary commission?
I was told by SOC that I had no choice in how my name appeared on my commission if that was how appeared on DL (which I would present when I obtained new commission). I'm pretty sure my passport also has my complete middle name.

What's a body to do!? I want to get a new ID with just my M.I. before picking up my new commission.

Reply by Chakwaina on 7/30/13 10:14am
Msg #478495

In TN the commission name reads the way you sign you name on the application. But I have always gone by both first and middle name so have always made sure my DL and other IDs read full first and middle.

Reply by desktopfull on 7/30/13 11:43am
Msg #478525

Put all of your Id's in the name you want to use and you won't have a problem in the future. You also won't have a bunch of alias's to sign either.

Reply by Alz on 7/30/13 12:17pm
Msg #478541

The various credit bureaus

will report all names and variations of names used....unless of course you ask to have these remove, but this does not guarantee they will not repopulate this information.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 7/30/13 12:28pm
Msg #478546

Always have at least one government photo id with the full middle name, in case you have some asset that is listed using your middle name. With ever-tightening notarization rules, in the future you might not be able to get a document that includes your middle name notarized unless you have ID to match.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 7/30/13 1:23pm
Msg #478557

In California, my commission has my full name. Luckily, it's only first and last names. However, the authorized signature is in whichever format I sign the application. If I use full name, that's how I have to sign notarizations; if I use first initial and last name when I signed that application, then when I notarize, I'll have to sign just first initial and last name ... regardless of the name on the commission.

Is this what's your concern, NVLSlady? That you have to sign with full first, middle and last names? If so, what does your SOC or notary handbook say about it?

Reply by MW/VA on 7/30/13 2:50pm
Msg #478573

As far as I know, the renewal will only carry forward what

you are currently commissioned as. You already spoke with the SOC, and I've heard they're not very helpful. My commission has always been with my first name, middle initial, and last name.
My d/l contains exactly the same info.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 7/30/13 4:24pm
Msg #478583

Re: As far as I know, the renewal will only carry forward what

This what I asked of SOC 'cause I don't want full name carried over to new commission. I don't have ID without complete middle. I fear you may be right: "they're not very helpful."
They basically said I'd be taking a chance if I completed the app with MI only because it wouldn't match my ID.

and Yoli: THANKS for "stayin" with me!! <<"Is this what's your concern, NVLSlady? That you have to sign with full first, middle and last names?">> Got It Smile

Just to clarify for some others: No, I would Never not have any ID without my complete/full name. Way too many of my name sakes out there!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/30/13 4:02pm
Msg #478579

Don't know what the chances are of trying to get that changed, if you lobby them, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to force a notary to use the full name on their ID. My ID has my full first, middle and last name, but I have never, ever once in my entire lifetime signed my full middle name on anything - and I'm sure I'm not alone. I think it makes sense to have a notary use the signature on their application, which I believe should allow for us to use whatever signature we want, as long as it's consistent.

Good luck!

Reply by JPH13/MO on 7/30/13 4:51pm
Msg #478588

It depends on what your state allows. KS you have to use your first and last name, can use middle initial if you want to (I don't want to and so don't). MO you can use your first and middle initial and last name, or full first name, middle initial or full middle name plus last name. They didn't even mention that you had to have ID to support it, but then again if you look at their notary handbooks you will see that they don't even begin to cover what can be involved in handling a loan signing.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 7/30/13 4:53pm
Msg #478589

<<"I think it makes sense to have a notary use the signature on their application, which I believe should allow for us to use whatever signature we want, as long as it's consistent.">>

I'm seriously considering this, Janet. As Mr. Hugh advised it has to have all the "elements." And mine will have three: First, MI and last (my normal signature). Notarizing docs with my complete (commissioned) name is over the top.

Hmmm. . . maybe I should find a notary to sign my aka Affidavit

Reply by MW/VA on 7/30/13 4:53pm
Msg #478590

Solution might be to change your signature to a squiggle,

and not have to sign your full name. I know that I'm particular about penmanship, but we do a lot of signing, and I've always considered it as an option.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 7/30/13 4:55pm
Msg #478591

Re: Solution might be to change your signature to a squiggle,

Usually by the time we're done, that's exactly what it looks like!

Reply by Yoli/CA on 7/30/13 5:22pm
Msg #478600

According to VA notary application ...

1. Name - directly below it states "As your commission will read, must be the same as the name on your state issued ID."

Page 2, Part 3. Signature of Applicant - directly below it states "This signature must match the name on line 1 of this application and must used in signing ALL notarized documents."

Sorry, Michelle. Looks like you're stuck. The only alternative is to have your customized professional signature: a squiggle comprised of your full name for notary work only. Nothing on that application says signature on ID must match signature on application. Wink

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 7/31/13 1:39am
Msg #478656

Re: According to VA notary application ...

You know, when i consider the signers I've ID'd, they all have full names on their DLs!
My journal will confirm. Must be a VA thing.

p.s. I really don't want to go to dmv and have my picture taken Frown

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.