Notary Rotary
I hate to see NSAs commenting on the condition of the
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by HSH/WA on 7/10/13 11:52am
Msg #476193

home. I'm not sure what additional liability that opens us up to. Along with taking pictures of IDs, filling in tax transfer forms, notarizing QD deeds, I wonder what's next - and of course all at no additional fee. All of these things, especially QC deeds is a liability claim waiting to happen. Any thoughts?

Reply by Lee/AR on 7/10/13 12:11pm
Msg #476197

Agree. Beyond the scope of what we're supposed to be doing. Don't agree with you about notarizing QC Deeds as that's what we do--notarize signatures. Not inspect or opinionate about condition of--well, anything.

Reply by HSH/WA on 7/10/13 12:51pm
Msg #476204

Re: I shy away from notarizing QC deeds unless it's

from Sally a married women to Sally an unmarried women. But from Sally to Sam (her ex husband), no thanks. Just not worth the possible back lash. Notaries get named and have to spend time and money when all they did was notarized as requested. After all we all have bad breath, are in a hurry and thereby bring undue pressure on the person signing the QC deed. Just not worth it.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 7/10/13 6:00pm
Msg #476256

bad breath? did you mean to say that? lol n/m

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 7/10/13 1:52pm
Msg #476214

Just the awful conditions???

What about:

a practically "naked" signer that greets us . . . or
the litter box that hasn't been changed in over a week . . .
the famous personage that took us by surprise . . . or
the table with less than 4 inches of space to sign on . . .
the body chalk outline on the floor in the next room (with the yellow tape) . . . or
the parrot in the next room screaming, "let's get this over with!" . . .

generous homeowners who want to share their dinners with you . . .
Or the old lady in the shoe (with so many cats, she didn't know what to do!)
a signed portrait of Benjamin Franklin . . . or
an avid train set collector

It's might Hard to ignore what's right in front of you; besides, I enjoy reading the real life experiences of fellow signing agents. Those encounters in the field are what make this job so unique. As for liability, anyone see any names?

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 7/10/13 6:02pm
Msg #476258

are you referring to Reverse Mtg signings? that the time I

see this request and I have never made a comment. definitely not my place imo. let the appraiser make those assessments.

Reply by jnew on 7/10/13 10:26pm
Msg #476284

Re: are you referring to Reverse Mtg signings? that the time I

I don't see any inherent danger in notarizing a quit claim deed. As long as you don't give any advice to the signer, draft the deed or change it in any way, how can you be held responsible for any problem that might arise. Make sure the signer can identify the document and its purpose and shows that they are willingly signing it. If I get to the point that I am going to turn down jobs made in the usual course of my business, I should get out of the business and find another means of employment.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.