Notary Rotary
I need a new computer for personal use but dont know if it
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by kathy/ca on 7/20/13 12:07pm
Msg #477562

makes sense to get a desktop PC to replace the one I now have or a laptop or maybe even a "Tablet" or Smartphone. I am not at all knowledgable about technology and am used to using only a deskptop PC but am wondering if that device is becoming obsolete. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 7/20/13 12:27pm
Msg #477563

I bought a new laptop for personal use about a year ago. My 76 yr old dad bought an iPad. I think he did the smarter thing, and I really regret my choice. If you've never played with an iPad - play with one before you choose, they really are pretty cool.

Reply by Notarysigner on 7/20/13 12:55pm
Msg #477565

I'm right there with you Kathy. May desktop is so old it's starting to squeak. My wife and daughter both have IPad transplants as new body parts I I'm not quite ready to "look" like that yet. I think when I do get one, a phone will be a part of it also, then I'll get rid of my land-line that my desktop is connected to.

Reply by kathy/ca on 7/20/13 12:59pm
Msg #477568

James, that is exactly what I intend to do also I just dont

know what that device will be so I am trying to find out from our fellow notary friends what they recommend. Hopefully you and I will both get some good answers on this site. Have a great day James!

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 7/20/13 3:35pm
Msg #477589

"IPad transplants" lmao

Yep, it is a look! My dad went from zero-pc-interest (or ability) to being COMPLETELY addicted, but it's been great for him - and like I said, I'm jealous.

fwiw, you don't have to have any monthly fee - that would be equal to having an air card for a laptop. With wi-fi, it's pretty much covered, same as a wi-fi laptop.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/20/13 1:16pm
Msg #477569

It really all depends on how you're going to use it. I have

a desktop because of this biz--printers, fax machine, etc. I also have a 7" tablet & an Android smartphone. I've always heard that desktops have a longer life than laptops, but my hard drive went after about 3 1/2 yrs. I replaced the tower only. Prices on tablets are coming down, and you'll need to research if you want an I-Pad or something like the new MS Surface. Tablets now have different operating systems (Apple, Android & MS) to confuse matters even more.

Reply by Luckydog on 7/20/13 1:26pm
Msg #477573

Re: It really all depends on how you're going to use it. I have

I have an ipad and a laptop, I am one of the few that prefers my laptop. You can connect your printers, I have a mouse instead of the finger pad, can upload files, download programs....to me, I am just used to the computer aspect. I also have an android phone, so I can check my emails when out, and that works fine for what I do. I just never really liked the "app" thing for everything.

Reply by John Tennant on 7/20/13 2:00pm
Msg #477581

Re: It really all depends on how you're going to use it. I have

I have a Toshiba laptop set up as "wireless". I use it for everything. My 5890CN Brother all in one is wireless as are my high speed printers. I have taken this thing cross country on trips, finding WIFI spots for internet downloads, and never have had a problem. This is my second Toshiba.

Reply by jba/fl on 7/20/13 1:56pm
Msg #477579

I have a Nook tablet, a laptop, and a smartphone. I can use my Nook for everything these days, including reading and we all know that the smart phones are wonderous objects that can handle your entire life as needed and still read. All my devices are synchonized which is a wonder in itself.

What do I use the most? My laptop. Why? Large screen, large keyboard and my older eyes and fingertips really enjoy that aspect. But, if I leave my house, I take the Nook, because of larger screen/keyboard, and phone as a phone and I love my voice to text more than anything else I own.

It really does depend on how you are going to use it. BTW: the Nook tablet HD+ is now on sale for $149.00. Unlike the iPad, there are no monthly connectivity fees.

Reply by Bear900/CA on 7/20/13 4:00pm
Msg #477592

Laptop or pad: Depends on what you use it for.

Reasons to replace your desktop and get rid of the chains:

A wireless laptop, tablet or pad is portable. If you have a wireless router, you are now portable with internet and email. I have used my laptop in my home office, dining room, living room, bed, backyard, garage, 3 doors down, by connecting wirelessly to my home router. I chose a laptop to use MS products and other software that is only PC compatible.

You can use free Wi-Fi hotspots in coffee shops, airports and motels, or connect to someone else’s wireless with their password. I don’t do that for security reasons. Here is what I do:

If you add an android smartphone you can use it as your personal Wi-Fi hotspot. You will always have secure wireless instead of using a public Wi-Fi hotspot. Here is why I would pick an android vs iPhone or iPad:

Either phone (or pad) you can purchase a data plan that allows you to connect to the internet and get email when away from hotspots; that works but is limited if you are used to using PC programs.

When you want that large screen, DVD drive, and larger keyboard to work on for longer periods and you are away from your router, you can use your wireless laptop. Combine the droid as a secure Wi-Fi hotspot and you're smokin'.

You can download FoxFi, an android phone app that allows you to tether wirelessly to your laptop using the data plan from your smartphone. You don't have to pay for a 2nd phone connection to a pad if you're away from a hotspot.

By doing this I have used my laptop in my car, at hotels, in meetings, with customers, and at my work office. I am self-contained with access to all my MS Office apps and other programs I would typically use on a desktop AND I have high-speed secure internet connectivity through my droid and FoxFi app.

I also use my laptop to connect to an HD monitor to share information with customers and sometimes with a projector. Since I have internet from my smartphone, I can project that via my laptop. These are hard-core uses but I have everything possible without being chained to a desktop.

That said, the rest of my extended family are all on iPads and iPhones and love them. They also have separate data-plans they pay for. I have an unlimited data plan on my android and can stay on my laptop 24 hours without extra charge. They like connecting to my android hotspot instead of using their data plans. My FoxFi hotspot is faster then DSL by far.

Overall, here is what I see: They use their iPads mostly for play. Their iPhones cannot use FoxFi as a secure hotspot. I use my laptop mostly for work as I have a lot of programs on it loaded via my DVD drive. You can’t do that on a pad without an external DVD drive. There are a lot more external connections on laptops vs. Pads.

All this said if you are not a heavy computer user, and don’t mind paying for an additional cell line to connect your iPad to when away from hotspots or routers, then you will love that too. They are not enough machine for me that's all.

I'm looking hard at the Nook HD for my wife who wants a reader.

Reply by jba/fl on 7/20/13 4:59pm
Msg #477598

Re: Laptop or pad: Depends on what you use it for.

Nook HD+ - not the tablet. 16 gig is enough unless you are going to store movies.....$149 right now - Just got them for my grandkids who don't have wifi at home, but are always around it somewhere. We are all connected via one credit card also so we all have the same books, etc., and age appropriate parental controls too. Nook has apps for all your devices as well.

Isn't technology grand? I totally embrace it.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 7/20/13 4:52pm
Msg #477597

Kathy, since your post stated "personal" use, I'd

suggest that you consider a laptop. Technology has improved so much that laptops are lasting longer and longer. I enjoy being able to use a laptop from any room in the house, and if I go out of town for the weekend, I have everything at my fingertips.

Reply by parkerc/ME on 7/20/13 5:47pm
Msg #477600

I have an HP desktop for business and personal use (mine is 8 years old, I keep adding RAM cards to it and it's still going strong). I have an HP laptop for travel use. I have an Android 7" tablet, for when I don't want to get out of the recliner. And I have an iTouch for my purse, which I use mainly for music and as a PDA. Benefits to each, but I use my desktop the most. It's a sturdy workhorse. It all depends on your individual needs.

Reply by kathy/ca on 7/20/13 6:22pm
Msg #477602

Cheryl, what are RAM cards and what is their purpose?

Maybe I can get more time off my computer by adding or updating something, thing is I don't know what because I am technologically "challenged"!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/20/13 6:29pm
Msg #477605

Random Access Memory cards n/m

Reply by kathy/ca on 7/20/13 6:38pm
Msg #477607

Duh, after I posted I remembered RAM was adding more

memory. I seem to have enough memory but even though I have DSL, I wish my computer ran faster. I think though that because it is 7 years old it probably isn't updated enough to run faster. Thanks for all the input from all of you.......have a great weekend! kathy/ca

Reply by parkerc/ME on 7/20/13 6:50pm
Msg #477609

Re: Duh, after I posted I remembered RAM was adding more

Guess I was still typing while you posted the above. Ah, well, probably more than you wanted to know about RAM (memory cards).

Reply by parkerc/ME on 7/20/13 6:48pm
Msg #477608

Re: Cheryl, what are RAM cards and what is their purpose?

I'm not a computer guru, but I have learned that RAM cards are the internal memory of your computer. You have your hard drive, on which your programs and files reside, even when you turn off your computer..they're still there. Your RAM is Random Access Memory...that's the memory which holds onto processes while you have your computer on, but disappears once you turn off your computer. It is also what is used when you start surfing the net. Some computers (or antivirus programs) may show a popup occassionally that says "High Memory Usage"....which means your RAM capacity is really being pushed to the limit. And when that happens, often your computer will seem to run slower in loading programs/downloading websites. Rather than looking to increase your computer's speed (that Hz number), you can speed up your computer by adding additional RAM cards into your CPU. My desktop only came with 1G of RAM (2 "cards" with 520Mg each), but it also had 2 additional empty card slots.
So, when my computer started running slowly (and I kept getting those "High Memory Usage" popups), I removed the two 520M "cards" and replaced them with two 1G cards..doubling my RAM to 2G. I'm getting popups again, but I know I still have 2 more empty "card" slots that I can add two more 1G cards...so I'll have a total of 4G RAM, which will probably buy me a couple more years on my 8 year old desktop.
But, some older computers may already have the maximum RAM ("cards"/slots) that they can accommodate. Most new computers already have 4G or 6G RAM (some have 8G) and room (empty slots) to add more memory cards.
This is a novice computer person giving a lengthy explanation of one of the reasons that buying new would be better, as recommended by other posters. Cost of additional RAM (memory cards) can run from $50 to $100-200, ballpark.
Increasing RAM with larger capabity memory cards noticeably increases the processing speed of your computer. I've also increased the memory in my laptop.
Have you fallen asleep from this yet? :-)

Reply by parkerc/ME on 7/20/13 8:34pm
Msg #477612

Re: Cheryl, what are RAM cards and what is their purpose?

Oops, I think some of my response applies to one of the previous posts below.

Reply by sueharke on 7/21/13 11:50am
Msg #477634

Don't buy anything until you talk to a knowledgeable person about your needs and the current technology. Do not buy anything at a store because a salesperson says this is the best for you. When I buy a new computer, I take my spouse who helps me select the right computer and hardware. I then pick the software I want to run.

I may always have a desktop as some of the work I do is better on this technology. Possibly, a laptop that connects to my current monitor and a USB backup drive or two for data if I want to no longer have a computer tower.

I can't use a tablet to do income tax returns, so I will need a laptop or tower for that function. Until the tablet technology changes more, this is not an option for me.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.