Notary Rotary
Important Question
Notary Discussion History

Important Question
Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by Larry Wilson on 7/16/13 12:55pm
Msg #476970

Important Question

I have been ask to notarize a document in a hospital. The patient is in intensive care trauma unit. He can not hold a pen. He can move his eyes to answer a question. Can we use his thumb print as a signature and two Credible Witnesses?

Reply by ME/NJ on 7/16/13 12:58pm
Msg #476971

Would not touch that with a ten foot pole.

Reply by Lisa Cirillo on 7/16/13 1:15pm
Msg #476972

Not so sure I would take that job either. What is the document that needs to be notarized? Just curious.

Reply by FP_CA on 7/16/13 1:17pm
Msg #476973

No, no, no, stay away.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 7/16/13 1:28pm
Msg #476974

What does Indiana say about a signature by mark?

Florida law would allow this as long as there are two witnesses present.

However, I would caution the hiring party about your ability to complete the notarization unless you can determine that the "signer" is willing and understands the nature of the document. You can't really know until you are there. Communication does not always need to be verbal in nature.

You may want to let them know you will be charging a travel fee regardless of whether you are able to notarize or not.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 7/16/13 3:03pm
Msg #476989

To OP: Would your scenario consists of someone guiding patient's hand to imprint thumb print? If so, I concur with others -- would not accommodate.

Is patient able to hold writing utensil in mouth and making a mark without assistance?

Reply by SharonMN on 7/16/13 3:18pm
Msg #476994

Does Indiana have any rules about persons with disabilities? Minnesota has a specific process to use. I did a signing for a woman who was a quadraplegic once - couldn't move her arms to sign, but she had a stamp that she directed her husband to affix for her. She was obviously 100% mentally, reviewed the paperwork while I flipped pages for her, asked questions, etc. If you can communicate with the person and your state has some guidelines for people that can't write, I'd go for it.

Reply by Larry Wilson on 7/17/13 11:58am
Msg #477141

Thank you all. Based on your replies I will decline and suggest they contact an attorney.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.