Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Is there a site listing fees in one place for all 50 states?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by Linda_in_MI on 7/23/13 7:59am
Msg #477719

I've searched and can't readily find it --although I may not using the right words--but is there a site where the max fees for each of the 50 states is listed in one easy to find location? I'm trying to get info as it relates to allowable fees for both notarizations (jurats, acks, depositions, etc.) as well as other acceptable fees such as mileage and or travel. I know I can get the information from the SOS of each state, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

TIA
Linda

Reply by 101livescan on 7/23/13 8:17am
Msg #477721

I hope you find it. I was looking for every state that requires background checking, and those that require journals. Only 17 of the 50 states require journals. You can go one by one on several boards, but I haven't seen it broken down in a matrix yet.

Reply by Darlin_AL on 7/23/13 10:59am
Msg #477749

How many states do you plan to travel to & maintain commissions in? What applies is the state where you do that notarization...were you thinking the document source defines your part of the transaction?
My suggestion would be to keep a journal no matter what, as a CYA & just good business practice. (No, I don't complete a description line & ask for a signature for each doc to be signed, in that journal. I just enter a description of the type of transaction conducted. My state does not require it.)

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 7/23/13 10:57am
Msg #477748

East Coast Fees

Nice Idea. Betcha if we all pitched in . . .

VA
Fees: charge up to $5.00 for each paper-based notarial act performed; the only other payment a notary may request is actual travel expenses

Journal (mandatory): No

Atty Only: No

Title License: Optional

Electronic Notarization: Yes

Background Check (mandatory): No

(http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/Standard-Mileage-Rates)

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 7/23/13 11:47am
Msg #477761

Your link to irs.gov for standard mileage rates

is the mileage rate that can be used as a deduction for tax purposes - it is not the amount that can be charged for travel.

Other than notarization fees ($10/notarization in FL), the rest of the fees vary greatly state to state. Costs and expenses of doing the jobs will be higher for people in, say, CA than they are in other parts of the country. Profit margins vary also as does overhead.

JMO

Reply by sueharke on 7/23/13 12:21pm
Msg #477768

Re: Your link to irs.gov for standard mileage rates

Define travel and what is included in that term. Food, ovenight stay, mileage? Mileage only? Location? Pub 1542 has per diem rates for travel in all location. This pub is available from IRS.gov.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 7/23/13 12:40pm
Msg #477774

oops, think I misunderstood purpose of OP's post

I think we ALL get that the variances are far and wide; but consolidating a general reference is not a bad idea. I for one am not too interested in anyone else's state requirements - but a quick lookup may not be a bad idea. So if 1 notary per state contributed, would there be any need for debate on the very Basic?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.