Notary Rotary
Just an observation...
Notary Discussion History

Just an observation...
Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by Cody on 7/31/13 7:38pm
Msg #478803

Just an observation...

So sick of companies wasting my time with emails and phone calls to find out if I received a confirmation, or if I received documents for the closing next week, or if I confirmed with a borrower...

More than a couple of them should take that time and figure out how to use Word, so the docs have correct fonts, alignment, and aren't running over to a second page for me to put my commission expiration in....

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 7/31/13 7:52pm
Msg #478805

Re: Just an observation... or two

I wish I wouldn't get a phone call in middle of signing (usually we're reviewing and wrapping everything up) to see if all went well. The offer to do the "close out" for you is nice; but it is annoying and a bit rude to be interrupted with a non-essential call while with borrower - and feels a bit like "baby-sitting."

How it must look to the signer, I don't know.

Reply by BobtheElder on 8/1/13 9:55am
Msg #478866

Re: Just an observation... or two

I don't answer my phone during a signing appointment. I put it on silent and call back when I'm back in my car afterwards.... and if they badger me with calls I don't take their assignmenmts next time... life is too short for this stuff...

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/31/13 8:54pm
Msg #478813

<<<So sick of companies wasting my time with emails and phone calls to find out if I received a confirmation, or if I received documents for the closing next week, or if I confirmed with a borrower...>>>

That's because they've hired so many lowball notaries - the ones that either don't show up for the appt or bring their kids with them - that they now have to babysit everyone. Years ago, there was a SS I got regular signings from, then I didn't hear from them for about 9 months. They called with a signing, I accepted and when I printed the notary instructions, I just about fell out of my chair....and it's a big chair with arms so it's not easy to fall out of. But the notary instructions included 8 pages of pictorials on how to correctly complete certain docs - one was the RTC cancel. The pics were written for a 5 year old and looked more like cartoon drawings than instructions. I absolutely couldn't believe my eyes and wondered who on earth they'd been hiring to complete their signings. When I regularly worked with them, the notary instructions were standard - i.e. ink color, shipping info, after hours contact info, etc.

<<<More than a couple of them should take that time and figure out how to use Word, so the docs have correct fonts, alignment, and aren't running over to a second page for me to put my commission expiration in....>>>

That's too much like "right" for them to do that, LOL.

Reply by Belinda/CA on 7/31/13 9:08pm
Msg #478814

Your armchair story is too funny. n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 7/31/13 9:33pm
Msg #478816

Re: Just an observation...I just checked

Some instructions using the Flesch -Kincaid readability program and it was 8th grade level.

Reply by ikando on 7/31/13 9:44pm
Msg #478817

Re: Just an observation...I just checked

I seem to have recently read a statistic that said the average high school graduate read at a 6th grade level, so that Flesch-Kindaid readability format was high level.

Reply by rolomia on 7/31/13 10:51pm
Msg #478824

Almost no mutual respect exists between SS's & NSA's.

SS's keep cutting their fees to remain competitive in an over-saturated marketplace. Since they get what they pay for, the newbies they hire at minimal pay prob. make several mistakes, lowering said SS's opinion of NSA's in general, even further. It's not fair to the rest of us when such inaccurate generalizations are made. But, NSA's are guilty of that, too.

When we accept orders from SS's, we have no guarantees how things will turn out. Even SS's we've worked with before aren't necessarily perfect, every time. And, 4- & 5- star rated SS's make mistakes, too, just like us. Some NSA's badmouth said SS's when they perform below our expectations. Some SS's deserve such negative word-of-mouth and subsequent low ratings in SC. But, I know that everybody has an off day, now and then.

I'm not perfect and no SS in the world is, either. So, I forgive a lot. Better to stay busy and accept such imperfection, when it can be straightened out then to turn down work due to conjecture, hearsay, and past ratings that may not apply, now. I'm always improving. And, if a SS is still receiving orders, then, they must be doing something right. Just saying. JMHO

Reply by Dee/MD on 8/1/13 2:28pm
Msg #478887

and also ...

the threats of what will happen if ...blah blah blah
I want to send a list that has fees for late docs, cancellations, etc....
They are hiring a lot of new and low ball notraies. I have had to go back and get things corrected.
Worst horror story was I got to a couples house and she said she was glad it wasn't the lady who came yesterday. She gave them the docs at the door (did not ask for Id) and said sign where you see your name and I will be back. She said she was going to be eating dinner in her car! The docs were printed all on letter so some were cut off! They called the LO and he was upset!

Reply by BobtheElder on 8/1/13 9:58am
Msg #478868

I've had a couple of those recently, even the borrowers thought it was funny.... really does make you wonder about the quality of everything else they do ...

Reply by Darlin_AL on 7/31/13 11:01pm
Msg #478825

Cody, I usually send 4 emails in connection w each signing: confirm order rec'd, borrower contacted & appt confirmed, signing completed, and/or signing completed plus tracking # and when & where it was dropped. The signing completed is usually a phone call for some clients.
You need to step up to the plate & put out a bit more effort to represent yourself as someone who wants to appear as reliable as they are. I hardly ever get a call because they already have the info; they already know the tracking---if there were any "situations" they know that too because I don't like when the LO tells the man "you can sign your name any way you want to".
Of course, I am not chasing a huge volume of signings each day (that's too much like work!). But I have long-time reliable large companies who call me for everything in my area, and part of that is because they don't have to ask for the tracking, ask if I confirmed, ask if it signed. And, new clients every week. Oh, the best part, I get my usual fee or more if more distance.

Reply by Cody on 8/1/13 8:34am
Msg #478858

fair enough points....

I feel like I have been hired to do a job...let me do my job...and I always report the status upon completion

Reply by HSH/WA on 8/1/13 12:46am
Msg #478831

Re: Over a dozen phone calls/emails on one closing

including one during the closing wanting to know if I was there, what color ink I was using and if a spouse was present. They held the label until approval of the fax backs which were approved but no label was sent, so a day was lost. Cutting back on all the calls could lower overhead and might mean they could be more competitive on fees - they actually paid double what they offered on the phone - of course the fee offer was lame and the scheduler knew it and you could tell she felt dumb offering it.

Reply by Paula Yakey on 8/1/13 1:35am
Msg #478837

So today I start printing docs for a signing and the docs won't print because they were scanned wrong. I then realize there will be 4 borrowers to sign and the signing is 30 miles away. I was called late yesterday for this signing. I don't usually ask about how many borrowers since having more than 2 is very rare. So I call title to get a fee adjustment and was told that they do not pay extra for more borrowers, OK that is fair but I am wanting the fee adjustment for mileage. He proceeded to argue with me that they do not hire a notary for more than 20 miles. Almost called me a liar about mileage...said maps don't lie. Then this person I was talking to said maybe I need to get out this business if I do not want to spend the time it takes to do the closing. WHAT? I told him I had been doing this for 10 years and did not appreciate him arguing with me about the mileage I know my area he doesn't. I totally understand now these title and SS have NO concept of what we do.

Reply by rolomia on 8/1/13 2:27am
Msg #478840

Sounds like the scheduler was a jerk.

It's unfortunate that you didn't ask about actual mileage qty. of signers, beforehand. Of course, I know that you already know this and I'm preaching to the choir but I mention the following just in case any newbies may read this post in the future: Since you've already accepted the order, ethically, you cannot turn it back. But, once you get paid for said order, I would definitely rate said company with 1 star in SC and then complain to said scheduler's supervisor or manager.

I've encountered this same issue with some SS. Fortunately, it hasn't happened with TC's, which leads me to believe that said scheduler works for a SS b/c no TC worth it's salt would hire an obvious jerk who is verbally abusive/argumentative with NSA's, especially if he wants to hire an NSA who can get the job done at the obviously low fee he is paying (I say low b/c you're having to meet with 4 BO's, instead of the standard 2 and the distance is further than you thought).

SS's aren't stupid: they intentionally leave out certain info. when they call you b/c they will have a hard time getting the order filled, otherwise. Duh! JMHO

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/1/13 1:29pm
Msg #478878

Re: Sounds like the scheduler was a jerk.

"Since you've already accepted the order, ethically, you cannot turn it back."

Technically, the order that was accepted was different from what the reality of the signing turned out to be. To me - and I'm sure I'm not alone on this - that means all bets are off. Having said that, it's very rare that I will turn back an assignment, once I've accepted, out of respect (when due...) for my client and the borrower(s). But that doesn't mean that I'm going to put up with a scheduler being sneaky to try to get an assignment filled. That respect issue works both ways. If a scheduler lies to me, I see nothing ethical about that, and if they weren't willing to work within me in a reasonable way (i.e. fee adjustment), I would turn it back.

(Of course, it that's going to happen, we want to make sure it gets done ASAP.)

Reply by 101livescan on 8/1/13 8:21am
Msg #478854

I think I would have turned it back to him! Just on principle that he's an idiot and user unfriendly.

Reply by jnew on 8/1/13 4:22pm
Msg #478915

When I worked at the title company, most of the claims we received were because the closer did not follow the lender's instructions. We made a policy of making requirements lists for each lender, the standard requirements and the specific requirements for that closing. We really tightened things up because of that simple extra task. Some of the careless SA's make it tough for all of us, because they don't read or follow simple instructions. I am probably over the top in my procedure, but I scan every email sent or received and store them in a permanent file. I keep a list of requirements for each title company and signing service for each closing. I always respond via email that the borrower has been contacted, that the documents have been received and that the signing has been completed. Of course, they still call, but I always have all the bases covered. I figure in this business, you are either a complete success or a complete failure; there is no in between.

Reply by rolomia on 8/1/13 6:48pm
Msg #478961

Yes, there is an "in-between" & there-in lies the problem.

Most newbies do a great job. And, I'm glad that they are posting on NotRot. My quest for a veteran NSA forum is just to enhance our industry, not to take away from it. That said, there are, unfortunately, some newbies who do the job just well enough to give the TC/SS hope. But, then, one or more major issues arise. And, either the TC/SS is closed when the newbie calls for direction. Or, in my experience, the TC/SS reps. seem to know even less than the newbies do.

Apparently, the bar is set low at such companies. Or, XYZ's SA hotline has even worse agents answering the phones. BO's may be unable to reach their loan officer. All of these problems suggest that our industry will someday be changed so that only attorneys will be able to complete closings. I hope it doesn't come to that. But, in spite of the good, competent newbies, there are bad newbies that will ruin it for everybody else. So, yeah; definitely an "in-between."

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.