Notary Rotary
Last-Minute Docs and a Cancellation
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by RIcloser on 7/31/13 9:19pm
Msg #478815

Closing scheduled 9 days ago for 7:00 p.m. tonight for John Doe and confirmed with him then and again today. Followed up on docs starting at 2:00 p.m., as I was booked before and after. I got notification at 6:00 p.m. "docs are in". Got docs printed on the road. Noticed a non-applicant title holder and called to confirm her presence. Voice mail. Got there and Jane is not there. Turns out Jane is in New York. Title canceled closing. John can't reach loan officer and is very upset with him and title company. I'll get a print and trip fee, but I'm upset, too. Why can't docs be delivered the day before a closing? So frustrating, so inefficient, so unprofessional!!

Reply by Yoli/CA on 7/31/13 10:14pm
Msg #478818

Sorry for your troubles, RI!

Care to name TC and lender? Might give the rest of the notary community a heads up.

Reply by RIcloser on 7/31/13 10:27pm
Msg #478819

Re: Sorry for your troubles, RI!

Title Source and Chase. Via a signing service that wasn't their fault, which was trying to get docs since yesterday.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 7/31/13 10:34pm
Msg #478822

Add this to your list of things when confirming with borrower. Is there a spouse? Will he/she be available also? Saves a lot of frustration. 9 out of 10 times there is only 1 name on the confirmation. We have no idea if they are married. You have to ask. I do in every single confirmation call I make.

Reply by Darlin_AL on 7/31/13 10:47pm
Msg #478823

ditto here, along with current driver's license. At least if they say it's expired, you may have time to come up with something else that's accepted. It's true that most of the confirmations are just partially completed w/info you need to have on hand before & when you get the docs.

Reply by RIcloser on 7/31/13 11:11pm
Msg #478826

I understand all that and will be more pro-active. But I am so frustrated with eleventh-hour docs! We have other appointments! Do they think we are just standing by for their sole closing?? E-docs are the curse! I wish we could go back in time and get packages delivered "the morning of"!

Reply by parkerc/ME on 8/1/13 6:33am
Msg #478844

Recently on re-fi's, I've started checking to see exactly who signed their last DOT/Mortgage in the online public records before calling to contirm appointment. The majority of times it will be the same signers...it also gives me a clue if there might be an ID issue...e.g., Jr., Sr., II, III, etc.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 8/1/13 6:34am
Msg #478845

That's a good idea. I can't see DOT's online here, but I can see property records that show who the owners of record are for a particular property.

Reply by parkerc/ME on 8/1/13 6:39am
Msg #478846

P.S. And I hear you about late docs. So I've started telling the scheduler, yes I can do that signing provided I receive docs 3-4 hours ahead and if not, I will turn it back. Have turned 2 back this month when docs weren't here 2 hours ahead and I wasn't getting any answers to my inquiry about where they were. I am refusing to reschedule any of my appointments due to someone else's late docs.

Reply by 101livescan on 8/1/13 8:06am
Msg #478851

I had one this week where the borrowers were to come to escrow and sign with me at 3pm...they never showed up. Turns out that when the settlement statement was computed there was over $100K to close funds. They were struggling with it. Signing never did reschedule. Back to the drawing board. Second home, trying to lower their rate, but looks like they were "priced out". It's a no sign.

Reply by SharonMN on 8/1/13 2:51pm
Msg #478890

My clients don't pay me nearly enough to do this. I price assuming that title and LO do their job and I do mine.

>>Recently on re-fi's, I've started checking to see exactly who signed their last DOT/Mortgage in the online public records before calling to contirm appointment.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/1/13 5:00pm
Msg #478927

Agreed...way outside my pay grade..

and too much can happen, vesting-wife, in the time between last mortgage/DOT and current one.

Let title get it right - that's their job.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.