Notary Rotary
More Notary Fraud
Notary Discussion History

More Notary Fraud
Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by Michelle/AL on 7/15/13 2:36pm
Msg #476851

More Notary Fraud

If you can't trust a notary who can you trust? I'm hearing more and more about notary fraud. I can understand a notary overlooking getting a client's signature on a form. I call that a mistake - careless, perhaps, but a mistake nonetheless. But to knowingly commit fraud?!!! SMH

Earlier today I served process on a bank. When the bank manager saw on my business card that I also perform mobile notary work she said "we used to refer out to someone but we learned she was using that information to commit fraud". I didn't ask for details. I was blown away.

We chatted a little longer which gave me a chance to tell her more about me and my standards, etc. Since I have her business card, I'll follow-up later. I guess I need to prepare myself for a better response, should that happen to me again. Really, I got sick to my stomach sitting there hearing this mess. That notary had a good thing - referrals from a bank - but she had to blow it. I hope she didn't cause financial hardship on anyone.

Listen, if you want to cut corners and deceive the public, I can think of a few other careers for you to consider. Leave notary work to honest men and women, will ya? What you do (good or bad) reflects on the rest of us.

Wasn't it last month that we discussed in this forum a NSA and sold SSN's to someone for $25? Jeez Louise!!! This is getting out of hand. It angers me to no end.

Reply by ikando on 7/15/13 3:29pm
Msg #476860

I don't know the parameters to becoming a notary in Alabama, but in Oklahoma, the only requirement is to be breathing, over 18 and pay the SOS the minimal fee. Until 2008, when I brought it to the attention of my state representative, there was no comment as to any felonies in the applicant's background.

So, as to what people who become notaries are capable of, in my opinion, because they see it as a quick buck and not the serious business that affects all kinds of activities, we'll probably see more and more stories like these.

Reply by 101livescan on 7/15/13 3:48pm
Msg #476874

More and more states will begin raising the bar on requirements. Soon, live scan fingerprinting will be required in every state, not just CA.

Reply by JimAZ on 7/15/13 8:37pm
Msg #476918

I would welcome AZ raising the bar on requirements to be a Notary. At the same time AZ needs to raise the fee for notarizations. $2 bucks is pathetic. Most of the time I'm too "busy" to do GNW. Banks aren't doing them anymore. UPS stores aren't doing them anymore. Wake up AZ SOS and Legislature.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 7/15/13 4:46pm
Msg #476883

Oklahoma & Alabama must be "sister states"

Sounds as if the requirements are the same. You got me to thinking. Until now I thought these notaries started out honest and then turned into "Notary Gone Wild" or something. I bet you're right. These are individuals who probably had planned to do harm from the onset.

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 7/15/13 4:25pm
Msg #476877

One of the funniest and saddest stories I've ever heard was from a constituent about 6 months back. His brother, "a psychotic lunatic" (his exact words), used to notarize his own paperwork. He wasn't a notary, but he had access to a hammer and an old Rex Mardi Gras doubloon. It took some clerk of court scrutinizing one of the documents he "authenticated" to catch the fallacious seal, and it was all down hill from there for the brother. Louisiana's laws are very stringent when it comes to someone posing as a notary that isn't one.

At any rate, I didn't know whether to laugh at how ludicrous the idea was or cry that it actually occurred and he was purportedly successful with it for several years.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 7/15/13 4:42pm
Msg #476882

Malbrough, I'm laughing out loud at this one. At least he only "authenticated" his own documents so hopefully the damage he caused was minimal. A hammer and doubloon?! Who would've thunk it?! <yep...i said 'thunk'>

Reply by JanelWI on 7/15/13 8:54pm
Msg #476921

"Listen, if you want to cut corners and deceive the public, I can think of a few other careers for you to consider. Leave notary work to honest men and women, will ya? What you do (good or bad) reflects on the rest of us".

Hmm....how about Wall Street, politics or lobby/special interest groups or superpacks? Seems like they can pull the puppet strings right out in the open and deceive people 24/7 with very little to no legal ramifications. Sounds like the perfect place where this individual would find the lack of conscience, empathy and moral standards quite refreshing. A golden opportunity to steal their fellow man blind and be in good company :-)

Where there is goodness, there will always be thieves. Kind of reminds me why I keep this little green piece of paper in perspective. All the dead presidents in the world will never be enough incentive because I can't take it with me......and neither can the thief.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.