Notary Rotary
NEW TO THE BUSINESS -HELP
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by Sylvia Freeby on 7/15/13 1:51pm
Msg #476837

I just became a notary and would like to start my business and I need all the suggestions I can get on how to get business. I live in the San Francisco Bay area. I also have 1 million in insurance.

Reply by Bear900/CA on 7/15/13 3:05pm
Msg #476856

Okaaay...my turn

Please do a search on Msg #33325

- welcome!

Reply by Sylvia Freeby on 7/15/13 3:31pm
Msg #476862

Re: Okaaay...my turn

Thank you so much Smile

Reply by ikando on 7/15/13 3:30pm
Msg #476861

Why did you buy 1 million in insurance?

Reply by Yoli/CA on 7/15/13 3:40pm
Msg #476864

Who'd you take your notary and/or signing agent course from?

Reply by 101livescan on 7/15/13 3:51pm
Msg #476875

Just curious, how much does a $1 million E&O policy cost and which company did you use.

Reply by Jack/AL on 7/15/13 5:05pm
Msg #476886

Get extremely familiar with Notary Rotary, and have a Premier membership. Read all new Notary Rotary entries, each rday. Use the orange tab and do a search for newbie, new signing agent, new to the business, etc.

Reply by Sylvia Freeby on 7/17/13 8:10pm
Msg #477230

the total cost was$ 851.00

Elizabeth Ferguson

1350 Carlback Avenue, Ste. 100
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
(800) 500-6359 direct dial
(925) 274-1075 fax
[e-mail address]
http://ion.selectsolutionsins.com/sel

Reply by anotaryinva on 7/15/13 9:18pm
Msg #476922

Is this from your profile?

'I am highly experienced with E-Docs and E-Signing'

maybe there is a different Sylvia Freeby in zipcode 94549?

Reply by Darlin_AL on 7/15/13 10:59pm
Msg #476932

Ooooh Gotcha! n/m

Reply by Treasure Valley Notary - Tina on 7/16/13 9:13am
Msg #476946

Stop & Rethink What You Are Doing

Everyone here has been nice about your question, but I'm going to give some tough love. I run a women's business network and see this ALL the time. Different businesses, but always seems to be the same scenario. New to the business, have become a notary, and . . . now what???

Let me get this right - you decided that you wanted to be in this industry, but now you need suggestions on how to get going. When in reality you made a business decision without doing your homework. Everyone's question should be WHY have you done that?

Who is your competition? Are they profitable? I could ask a ton of questions, but the profitable one is the most important.

Do you know what it is going to take for you to become profitable? Do you know what you need to do to market yourself in a saturated industry? Do you even know how to work through a loan package without screwing things up for a homeowner and their dreams? Do a search for the Small Business Administration and/or SCORE. Figure out what you are doing and then come back as a true business owner (and not just a wanna be) with valid questions. This is an outstanding board, but you need to really do your own homework to figure out if you can even make it in the industry.

Good luck with it. I truly wish you the very best. But don't expect McDonalds to tell Burger King how to increase their profit share. Smile

Reply by 101livescan on 7/16/13 9:46am
Msg #476949

Re: Stop & Rethink What You Are Doing

LIKE!

Reply by sueharke on 7/16/13 10:25am
Msg #476952

Writing as a Notary and CPA. Tina you are so right that SCORE and the Small Business Administration courses are a newbies best friend (also an experienced person who wants to know what changes have occurred and how to apply the changes to their business).

I see so many new businesses that have no idea what is happening and do not want to listen until the IRS determines that he or she is not a business, but a hobby. Sometimes it takes a 2 x 4 board on the head to get some people's attention.

But then I don't complain about the audit representation fees to fix the problem either.

Reply by Heather/NH on 7/17/13 2:03pm
Msg #477170

I have been in this business for a long time. I am so disheartened by the snarl replies here. In fact, I am in awe at a lot of replies. We all started somewhere! We were all new at this. I see nothing wrong with asking for direction/advice. I am not saying to tell them your best SS or anything like that. However, a little kindness goes a long way. I do not post here often, but do enjoy reading all the wonderful advice. It would just be nice if we could support one another.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/17/13 4:18pm
Msg #477192

Yeah, we were all new once, but we didn't all jump in with both feet and then expect to get started without doing our own homework and working hard to get started, expecting someone else to just hand over all the answers and provide us with all the shortcuts. The sad thing, though, is that if they came into this business as the result of a promo by "XYZ", they've probably been given the false impression that they can do just that. Those folks are in for a rude awakening, unfortunately.

I think Tina and others gave excellent advice.

Reply by Sylvia Freeby on 7/17/13 8:17pm
Msg #477232

Thank you so much....kindness does not go unnoticed!!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.